This weekend

From Pintails to Mallards, share your Montana duck hunting stories here in the land of the Big Sky country.

Moderator: Lawdog

This weekend

Postby phutch30 » Tue Dec 26, 2006 9:42 am

I went out on Sat and Sun. Sat was great I shot 7 in about 2 hours being selective. I had 4 drake mallards, 1 drake pintail, 1 drake gad and 1 drake widgeon. I could have shot pretty much 7 of any species as they were really wanting into the warm spring slough I was on due to the wind.

Sun-different ballgame. Yesterdays hotspot was pretty dead. There was zero wind, so the ducks were scattered all over. I shot 2 drake mallards and a drake widg in 3 hours and then made a move. My second spot was even deader. I shot another 2 drake mallards, a drake barrows and a drake common goldeneye in 5 hours. However, I had a very awsome experaince. I saw a nice bull moose drop his horns. I was watching him run along some willows and looked away for 1 second and the bull had turned into a cow. I was really sure I had seen a bull so I walked over to where I had last seen him and backtracked him and to both his antlers. I would put him in the 35-38" class. It was pretty awsome.
phutch30
hunter

Postby Qhorse » Mon Jan 01, 2007 9:53 pm

Sounds like fun. I noticed a pile of ducks last week on the warm water out by Beaverhead Rock, but I haven't bothered to ask permission as I don't really care to hunt that close to the highway. I'm just getting started waterfowling, and still looking for some good spots reasonably close to town.
Qhorse
hunter

Return to Montana Duck Hunting