Bighorn River

From Pintails to Mallards, share your Montana duck hunting stories here in the land of the Big Sky country.

Moderator: Lawdog

Bighorn River

Postby RiverRock » Thu Feb 01, 2007 12:21 am

I just found this chat and thought I'd post a new topic. I live and work on the Bighorn River, and would be happy to offer reports on whats happening at any time. I t amazes me how few waterfowlers there really are in Montana anymore. I go to DU Banquets and meet a bunch 80%+ that don't even hunt. Anyway, WE ARE NOT CROWDED on the Bighorn. Last season, the busiest day at any boat ramp I saw was 3 trucks. To tell you the truth, a little more traffic would keep birds moving better. 2006 was a good duck year. The Crow Tribe has been raising hell with us about hunting geese, so that has deterred alot of the field hunting, but the river was the same ole same ole. Also, the Crows have ZERO jurisdiction within the high water mark. If you're ever in that part of the state, I love to meet other serious waterfowlers. We're a dying breed and I enjoy talking ducks.
Outfitter's ain't all bad
RiverRock
Newb

Postby quackpipe » Thu Feb 01, 2007 8:36 am

Why do the crows put up a stink about geese? I could understand it if you were hunting crows (the bird).
quackpipe
hunter

Postby RiverRock » Thu Feb 01, 2007 9:04 am

Access to land inside the Crow Reservation boundary. Carl Venne is the new tribal chariman, and white people huting on the reseration has become one fo his main proporities. he has decided that he was getting his butt kicked by trying to enforce new rules or cause trouble on the river. Fish and Game, Outfitters, Guides and local sportsmen put an end to river harrassment VERY VERY quickly. The river just generates too much money.

The fields around the area though, that are often times Indian leases are getting tougher to get on. you MUST purchase a Crow license and also get permission from the landowner. Often times, there are 50+ landowners, (if they're indian). It's getting tough to field hunt. the River is Still great though.
Outfitter's ain't all bad
RiverRock
Newb

river rock

Postby castandblast37 » Thu Feb 01, 2007 8:39 pm

riverrock do you guide on the bighorn??
"knock em dead"
castandblast37
hunter

Return to Montana Duck Hunting