Terrible

From Pintails to Mallards, share your Montana duck hunting stories here in the land of the Big Sky country.

Moderator: Lawdog

Terrible

Postby MontanaNewbie » Tue Nov 12, 2013 11:03 am

Been out a few times now including this morning. Was out hunting near Laney Bridge between Simms and Augusta and it was downright terrible. Two mallards gave us a look but failed to give us a shot. In 14 years of hunting (3 in Montana) this has been by far the worst. Anyone have a clue when Alberta and this area is going to freeze up???
Picked a place that seemed in the middle of nowhere and got it
MontanaNewbie
hunter

Re: Terrible

Postby Force Fetch » Tue Nov 12, 2013 11:26 am

It is just one of those years. It will happen.
Force Fetch
hunter

Postby klabrel » Tue Nov 12, 2013 11:32 am

My guess is around February. Most of the smaller marshes and ponds in the area are frozen up at least until noon or so. Cold nights are helping but warm days are clearing things up. Need a big cold snap for a week or so and a hard freeze will set in. Doesn't look like that will be anytime soon though. The birds are around, just takes a little more scouting than usual for this time of year in north central MT.
klabrel
hunter

Postby huntfishnv » Wed Nov 13, 2013 5:09 pm

This year year has been slower for me as well. Hopefully when it happens this year it will happen big, and after elk season. Haha
Nick Roehl wrote:Everything I say is so damn good you need to quote it for your signiture.

Un-expect the expected
huntfishnv
hunter

Return to Montana Duck Hunting