Duck Hunting Forum banner

Pics of one of my favorite MT hunting spots

2K views 9 replies 3 participants last post by  phutch30 
#1 ·
Took these pics the other night. You may not realize it but the hunting here is pretty good on occasion. Details may be hard to decifer as the background is a little blurry, but use your imagination. we just got done with a good Lota lota, aka burbot or ling, hunt.

[/img]

See less See more
#3 ·
Sweet! I've been meaning to make a trip up and catch some ling! How long did it take you to nab those suckers, was it an all nighter or just a 6-10 thing?

I've never actually caught a ling, but I'd really like to try. Was up at CF this weekend with my dad. We caught some perch sat, wasn't great, but ok. Then sat we were walking out and my dad slipped and knocked his head pretty hard. Had to make a trip to the ER cause he was really out of it. He's alright, just a concussion. Remember them ice cleats! :cool:

#4 ·
There were 4 of us fishing that night and we ended up with 11 fish landed and 4 lost. I landed 3 and lost 2. We fished from 830pm until about 1230am. Awsome night. It was warm with no wind. We just sat in lawn chairs drinking beer, fishing and laughing. One of the other guys got one in the 6-7lb class. These are in the 3-5lb class.

widgeon man-These are burbot the only member of the cod family that lives exclusivly in fresh water. They are found in the Missouri, Yellowstone, Saskatchewan and Columbia drainages in MT. Basically throughout the state. Fun to catch and really good eating.

wingnutty-Canyon Ferry is loaded with them. Sorry to hear about your dad. Its always a crap shoot when you take those older guys on a trip away from home. Right Mark. LOL

#5 ·
Sounds like you guys had a ball, that's awsome!

I just need to get out of the house! Kinda tough to fish CC at night since I gotta drive 2 hrs to do it...nothing like driving home at 2 am :eek: , but I'd like to get a few to throw in the batter so it might be worth it. There sure as heck isn't anything else going on around here.

What depth do you recommend? Do you just head off the boat launch near the dam?

How many cats are you up to this year so far?

#6 ·
Wingnutty-were are you located? I may know a burbot spot near you.Just so you know that wasnt at CC it was further SE. Really good elk hunting and waterfowl hunting in "the valley".

Depth depends on where I am fishing. CC I fish about 20-25 feet. CF I fish off hole in the wall in about 30-45 feet. Lima I fish off steep drop off points near the dam. CF is more fun as you can put out 6 tip ups. CC you can only use 2 rods, so we jig one and use 1 tipup. If jigging use a jig with glow in the dark paint w/ a chunk of sucker etc and bounce the bottom. Tipups use a chunk of sucker or smelt just off the bottom.

I can only keep 5 cats around here. In 10 days I put 5 adult cats on stretchers and released 7 small cats. Ive been snaring fox and coyote for the last month ended up with 20 of each. All done now so like you said, with nothing else to do I go ice fish CC,CF and Lima Res.

#7 ·
Phutch, I'm in St. Anthony, about 2 hrs south of Dillon. Didn't know lima had ling in it! Cool. That's only about 1.25 hrs from me. How do you get to the dam? Do you have to use a sled?

I'm unaware of any good ling spots real close by? I've asked around,but haven't garnered much info. Guess I should talk to a fisheries biologist :salude: :toofunny:

Does Island park have any ling?

That's awsome you bagged your cats so quick, wow :eek: What a way to pay for your outdoor gear!

We didn't try for ling at CF cause we didn't wanna fish at night, kinda wanted to visit the family, ect. My dad is getting a new pair of ice trax in the mail :toofunny:

#8 ·
Wingnutty- Since your in ID your SOL for burbot. They are, as far as I know, only found in the Kootenai River drainage, and they are considered to be in dire straights. So I guess MT is your best bet. Clark is pretty good fishing for them. I have just started to explore Lima Res for them but I am getting a feeling its an unexploited honey hole if you know where to go.

#9 ·
How do I get to the dam at Lima? I've poked around there a bit, but couldn't really find where to get to the lake? That was in the summer, I imagine it is MUCH harder to get to the lake now! Do you need a sled to get in there?

I've never even eaten ling before, never caught one either. I guess there is a first for everything.

#10 ·
Take the road out of Lima and keep going until you see the dam.

Ling is great eating. I usually put it in a chowder. Its also tastes a little like lobster if you boil it and dip in butter, and this is coming from someone who grew up on the east coast and ate lobster on a regular basis.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.