Planning Hunting trip

From Pintails to Mallards, share your Montana duck hunting stories here in the land of the Big Sky country.

Moderator: Lawdog

Planning Hunting trip

Postby BigRiver » Mon Feb 26, 2007 3:11 pm

I have a buddy that has hunted the Big Horn River the last two years. He claims that his '06 trip there was one of he best hunts of his life.

I guess I'm checking on his BS, because I am now thinking on visiting your great state for the '07 season. I hunt the Mississippi River here in Winona Minnesota, duck numbers have been down the last few years and I am looking to do some exploring. I am wondering how different the Big Horn is from he muddy Miss? If anyone can help on the following questions I would appreciate it. Oh and I won't ask for maps of your favorite spots either. :laughing:

1. How fast is the current generally?(I hear the best spots are in current breaks etc)
2. Safe for dogs to hunt? (again I guess relates back o current speed)
3. Safe for 2 guys and a dog in a 12 foot flatbottom? or Grumman sports boat? I understand that outboards are not allowed.
4. How is the peasant hunting in that area/hunting land access?
5. If your really bored or a fast typer outline typical days hunt on the Bighorn.

Thank you

Brent
BigRiver
"Keep scouting my friends!"

Re: Planning Hunting trip

Postby Duck Runner » Mon Feb 26, 2007 4:31 pm

BigRiver wrote:4. How is the peasant hunting in that area/hunting land access?

Peasant hunting hasn't been so well since the removal of the monarchy which was quite some time ago. Even then you might need to consider going to Europe to find some quality peasants, they never really caught on in the states. :tounge: Sorry, too easy.

Otherwise I don't know much about the area.
Duck Runner
State Moderator

Postby BigRiver » Tue Feb 27, 2007 8:15 am

thanks for the help. My family loves peasants covered in mango salsa. :rofl:

Normally I would go crazy on someone pointing out mispells, but you got me here. Quite funny. :thumbsup:
BigRiver
"Keep scouting my friends!"

Return to Montana Duck Hunting