effort to ban mojos in montana

From Pintails to Mallards, share your Montana duck hunting stories here in the land of the Big Sky country.

Moderator: Lawdog

effort to ban mojos in montana

Postby quackpipe » Sun Mar 18, 2007 9:31 am

I found this today on banning moto ducks in montana and thought I would share it.
http://www.madduck.org/pdf/montana.ban.pdf
quackpipe
hunter

Postby wingnutty » Sun Mar 18, 2007 9:29 pm

Mad Duck Org is the biggest piece of org EVER! They are completely unfounded scientifically, are led by a bunch of idiots and are a detriment to real biologically founded waterfowl research. Anyone who signs on with Mad Duck is either a.) stupid as all hell, or b.) doesn't know a thing about the org. (please note that I"m not saying the guys who signed that are bad guys, they just may not know mad ducks history, ect).

With that being said, I don't really care if robos are banned or not, but a slanderous group like Mad Duck ought not to be the ones speaking for MT waterfowlers.

MT needs a waterfowl org and when I get back home in a few years I'll be heading the charge to get one started...We have a new org in Idaho, "Idaho waterfowl Association". We're just getting the association off the ground, and struggling to get memberships up, but we'll get their. Most of all we want a unified voice for waterfowlers in MT. And most of all we want all F&G decisions (seasons, ect) based on BIOLOGICAL DATA and Biologist recommondations!

Anyway, I just hate to see mad duck sticking their noses into Montana's business :mad:
wingnutty
hunter

Well Put

Postby jswen » Sun Jun 17, 2007 7:48 pm

I too will be back home to MT in a few years and we do need some organizing. I will be looking forward to some future action. I know eastern montana is ready for it. Thanks for the post.
jswen
Newb

Postby phutch30 » Mon Jun 18, 2007 9:07 am

Why do we need organizing? MT has a very liberal season combined with lots of places to hunt. We also have DU chapters in many counties. So I have to ask, just what kind of organizing are you talking about
phutch30
hunter

Postby wingnutty » Mon Jun 18, 2007 9:39 pm

What I am talking about is a state waterfowl organization. MT does have liberal seasons, ect, but that can all change in an instant. 2 years ago, here in Idaho, a couple of DU big-wigs decided to throw their weight around with the state game commission and got the commission to reduce the bag from 7 to 5 ducks. This was completely biologically unfounded and because waterfowlers in Idaho were not united under one voice, hunters got screwed. The next year the Idaho Waterfowl Association was founded. IWA is based upon following the recommondations of waterfowl biologists...not arm-chair biologists. The limits and seasons have since been returned to biologist recommondations (within the framework of AHM and the flyway councils, of course).

I'm not saying MT needs an org like IWA or that such an org would ever succeed, but it would be nice to unite waterfowlers under a common voice, a voice of biological integrity, not speculation and personal opinion. Guides and outfitters certainly have a strong voice, but individual hunters do not.

Like I said before, I don't care about spinners, don't use um, but Mad Duck is a pathetic org full of mis-information and

Please note, that I have nothing against DU (I've been a member forever), but the guys who screwed Idaho did so under the guise of speaking for waterfowlers because they were DU bigwigs. DU itself had nothing to do with it, but a couple of opinionated idiots did.
wingnutty
hunter

Postby phutch30 » Tue Jun 19, 2007 9:20 am

Ok, sort of got the wrong impression on where you were going with this. I agree with you.
phutch30
hunter

Postby wingnutty » Tue Jun 19, 2007 5:50 pm

Yeah, I don't think that the org needs to be some huge deal, really just a chance for MT waterfowlers to stand united with one voice.

I'll be back in MT in a few years (probably) and full of p!$$ and vinager to get it off the ground.

Like I said, right now Idaho has an org (Idaho Waterfowl Assoc.) IWA. I'm serving as Sec. right now. Dues are $20/yr and we are doing our best to represent Idaho waterfowl on important issues in the state.

I'd like to see MT also form an org. Although, the way I envison it, dues may be $0, or maybe $5 to cover a small amount of overhead and we would be strictly a 'voice' for waterfowlers in MT. No fund raising, minimal habitat work, ect, just a voice to ensure that waterfowlers don't get hosed.

IWA has attempted to get more engaging in activities, fundraisers, projects, ect and we have been quite unsuccessful. The way I see it, most guys are already busy enough to join another waterfowl org and I'd rather see money going to Delta and DU anyway. But a simple org that has a strong, singular focus might be a good idea? Maybe someday there will be interest to enlarge the org, but starting simple is probably best.

Think about it anyway and we'll see what we can do down the road :thumbsup: There is some important issues being raised in the flyway councils right now regarding future regs and our liberal seasons could become less so. I hate decisions to be made based upon politics. All I want is sound, well-researched biological data to lead the decision making processes.
wingnutty
hunter

Postby jswen » Sun Jun 24, 2007 11:02 pm

I am totally in the dark on waterfowl hunting in Montana. I am just looking for information on any organization that is somewhat close to Eastern Montana. I have no idea on the DU chapters and where they meet. I would imagine Billings would have something but that is along ways for Miles City. I have lived and hunted most of my life in Montana and have never heard much about waterfowl. Just lookin for some news on whats going on in the state. Or if nothin else a group of guys to bullshit with.

phutch, I seen your pictures on the site here, they are great. I enjoy seein some greenheads on that sagebrush background, somethin ya dont see everyday.

Thanks fellas
jswen
Newb

Postby wingnutty » Mon Jun 25, 2007 6:25 pm

I'd imagine that there is a DU commitee in Miles City. I don't know who you'd contact to find out though. Maybe contact the state DU director? You could probably google and find some email addresses to help you in your search. Sorry I can't help you more, maybe someone else here can.

Where you located right now?

My folks lived in grand forks for a couple years before I was born. My sister was born there though. I think they're glad they moved since the levee was right behind their house...pretty sure that house isn't there anymore :lol: :rofl:
wingnutty
hunter

Postby Snuffy » Thu Jul 05, 2007 6:45 am

I read the full madduck letter... I hope this went into the circular file at MFW&P.

I have seen these spinning wing decoys used in Arkansas. At best, in sunny weather, they work pretty good. By the time the ducks get that far south, they were getting pretty shy about them. You do just as well (generally better) without all of the hubub and blasting them with duck calls.

I never owned one of those contraptions, but it comes down to personal ethics and how you like to hunt. I have enough to worry about without fooling with them and generally put a limit in the boat anyway.

Concerning the letter:

On quoting the Arkansas Wildlife Federation... these genuises were pushing the switch from lead to steel when that controversy was raging. Well, come to find out that wasn't such a brilliant solution - hunters were now crippling almost twice as many birds as they were reteiving. Ergo, many more birds were being taken out of the population than when lead shot was legal. Oooops.

Wow... All of the legislative laws that have been passed since the 1920!!! This isn't unique to Montana. Actually, except for the law concerning radios/walkie-talkies, these laws are essentially universal and fall under Federal guidlines.

It's amusing that they are trying to ban something that 'ethical hunters' use in the field. (Page 5) If these other hunters have ethics matching your own... why is there a problem?

This kills me: "Rather than studying the impacts of electronic decoys, the better course is simply to prohibit their use." (Page 6) So, you have no real evidence or studies in Montana to base your conclusion on.... but, you don't like 'em and want them banned?

The letter is elloquent enough to be written by someone who passed the 6th grade, but my retriever has these folks beat in the logic department.

I don't have a dog in this fight and don't anticipate ever buying a spinning wing decoy. I just hate having people with limited mental capacity trying to enforce their will on me without a (hard fact and logical) reason to implement it.

Snuffy
Snuffy
Newb

ban mojos

Postby specwaker » Wed Jul 11, 2007 9:50 pm

Hey Guys I was just passing thru and sensed your frustration. The ablity for the hunters to have their voice heard is important. A state org. can be a very poweful tool. Just a suggestion, Take a peek at california waterfowl assc. You could use them as a model to start your own, Just a thought, good hunting and tight lines. :thumbsup:
WADDA YA MEAN I MISSED?
specwaker
hunter

Return to Montana Duck Hunting