First turk of 2007

From Pintails to Mallards, share your Montana duck hunting stories here in the land of the Big Sky country.

First turk of 2007

Postby phutch30 » Sun Apr 15, 2007 4:43 pm

Ill start off saying I am just glad Hart was with me for this trip and specifically for the call in I am going to relate. Otherwise I dont think anyone would belive me.

This was the greatest call in I have ever managed, heard of or seen. I called this bird in from over 1/2 a mile. Not unheard of, but I also called him off a timbered hill, down across a meadow, across a 2 lane gravel road, down across another meadow, down a hill to the edge of a 50' cliff, then into another brushy ravine to the bottom, and here’s the kicker, and across the powder river, which is about 80yards wide, and another 100 yards through the cottonwoods and right into my lap where it ended. All told the call in took over 2 hours. He gobbled non stop. Mark and I watched him come down off the hill thru the meadow over the road and into the 2nd ravine, then he was out of sight until he was about 75 yards from me. This is also my largest bearded Merriams at 10". The spurs are nice, Ive never shot a merriams with 1" spurs so 7/8ths is pretty good for my area. I also got to break in my new SBE. Mark and I had a great trip with lots of birds called in and heard. Mark tagged out with a couple of great shots on vocal birds. I have one tag to go. I cant wait to get back.

User avatar
Posts: 2813
Joined: Tue Oct 18, 2005 4:06 pm
Location: Section 5, T.7s, R.8w,

Remove Advertisements

Postby wingnutty » Sun Apr 15, 2007 8:59 pm

Fantastic :thumbsup: That is an amazing route he took.

A couple years ago when I was in Wiscosin I was on a ridge and was yelping with a diaphram. A tom lit up on the opposite ridge, across a busy road about 1/2 mile away. It was about 4 pm and I knew he wasn't coming my way that day! I gave some more yelps and then called it a day. I returned the next day around noon and walked up the ridge that I was on the previous day. Low and behold, that bird I had called the day before came all the way over from the opposite side of the highway and was waiting for me. I figure he came over that morning. There wasn't many hens left at that time and he must have been desperate. Unfortunately he hung up about 75 yards away and just sat their silently for about 30 minutes. Finally, I slowly reached for my call and looked up just to see is tail feathers skirting away :mad:

The next day I came back and he was still there. He was responding and was coming in and all of a sudden a big snag fell off a tree and onto the fence making a huge racket! That was the last time I ever heard that bird. How unlucky to I have to be to have a freaking snag randomly fall right then :lol: I thought it was pretty funny.
Posts: 728
Joined: Sat Mar 25, 2006 12:34 pm
Location: MT

Postby quackpipe » Tue Apr 17, 2007 5:06 pm

nice work.
Posts: 363
Joined: Fri Oct 20, 2006 10:01 am
Location: Montana

Return to Montana Duck Hunting

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest