Bear Spray

From Pintails to Mallards, share your Montana duck hunting stories here in the land of the Big Sky country.

Moderator: Lawdog

Bear Spray

Postby Duck Runner » Mon Apr 16, 2007 8:20 pm

I figured I would ask you guys since everyone is aware of the abundance of bears in Western MT. After spotting a 7 inch wide Black Bear print (backfoot) last Thursday half way between Helena & Missoula, I realized bears are back out and the need for bear spray may arise. My wife and I plan on doing a lot of hiking this summer and figured some bear spray probably wouldn't be a bad idea. Any suggestions where to get a good price or places to look other than the obvious REI, Sportsman's Warehouse, ect.?
Duck Runner
State Moderator

Postby marcbme » Mon Apr 16, 2007 11:40 pm

Buddy of mine said he got his from Axman's surplus and guns. I forget the brand. Give them a try.
Lord......let me be as good a hunter as my dog thinks I am....amen
marcbme
hunter

Postby Fredito » Tue Apr 17, 2007 6:57 pm

Before I finished reading your post I was going to say REI or Sportsman Warehouse...I have the one that they have at REI...The only thing that I didnt like is that you have to buy the carrier seperate...which I would really suggest since it has a strap that goes over the safety...The stuff is a little pricy but worth it...also if there is a army/navy store in Miss check that out to...but I think the above 2 would have the best selection with SW being a little cheaper then REI
Fredito
hunter

Postby nelli21 » Wed Apr 18, 2007 8:49 am

i found that the best bear spray is at the sportsmans warehouse. it comes in a variety of brands like smith and wesson, Ruger, or Taurus take your pick. they come in variety of sizes and weights (so whatever you feel more comfortable wiht) i would go with the 44Mag size or bigger. oh make sure to buy the extra canisters prefferably 300 grains. good luck with the choice.
nelli21
hunter

Postby Duck Runner » Fri Apr 20, 2007 10:13 am

Thanks guys, I can't believe the price for bear spray! $40 is mighty steep for the stuff, so I better get to use it and not waste my money...Then again, I might not be too upset to not use it on a bear. Thanks again
Duck Runner
State Moderator

Postby Baretta » Sat Jun 30, 2007 10:43 pm

REI is for Yuppies and environmentalists. Go on line there are dozens of places,you can learn alot about the content and make a better decision.
Baretta
hunter

Postby Troutslayer » Sun Jul 01, 2007 7:56 pm

Go to the airport and pick a counter, say this "I flew out of here about a week ago and you guys said you would hold my bear spray for me and now I am back. Can I please have it". They have filing cabinets full of the stuff in the holsters that tourists have had to leave because you can't fly with it. They might not remember you but they'll give you a can.
Troutslayer
hunter

Postby Baretta » Mon Jul 02, 2007 7:30 am

Awsome! a man after my own heart....BUT,....those little pissy cans wont do the trick you need a BIG can and they dont have those in the file cabinet! As we boarded a boat in the Kitimat river B.C. a grizz, who liked the smell of our Salmon, approached us at a fast walk, my partner in the boat had a pissy can and sprayed it at about 35 yards, it slowed him just enough to get us to mid stream about 30 yards, he/she swam a little ways and then gave up. I f we had been on land forget it, or at least forget the salmon then we would have had 50-100 yard lead....get a BIG can.!!
Baretta
hunter

Postby Troutslayer » Mon Jul 02, 2007 7:02 pm

Beretta, you don't follow me. Lots of people come out here to go to Glacier and Yellowstone and they buy the $40.00 bear size canister for their trip. Then they're stuck with it. I have been in line at the airport and seen several people on the same flight give up cans to the counter jockeys. Duckrunner, I have 2 cans of the stuff here and you're welcome to have one of them. No holster though.
Troutslayer
hunter

Postby Baretta » Mon Jul 02, 2007 8:24 pm

I didnt know you were talking about Kalispell or Missoula Airport,...Very good Idea. Maybe we can use this summers supply at the Mexican Border.
Baretta
hunter

Return to Montana Duck Hunting