Need an education....

From Pintails to Mallards, share your Montana duck hunting stories here in the land of the Big Sky country.

Moderator: Lawdog

Need an education....

Postby Snuffy » Tue May 29, 2007 10:43 am

New to the site... and will be new to Montana next year.

Any information on how you guys hunt in MT would be greatly appreciated. Let me have it: do's and don'ts, boats, gear... Other than a lot of scouting and finding some water, I don't have a clue. Particularly interested in boats at the moment - I'm looking to replace my current rig. Hesitant to do so because I'm not sure what I will run into hunting-wise in MT for the following season.

No, I do not have a location where I will be residing yet. Likely the NW part of the state, but I'm not adverse to travel if there is waterfowl involved!!

Thanks!
Snuffy
Snuffy
Newb

Postby phutch30 » Wed May 30, 2007 1:07 pm

Untill you can get specific on location we cant be much help. MT is such a big and very diverse state that general info isnt much help. What works in the east isnt usually applicable to the west etc. Use your first year here as a learning experiance.

Speaking for myself I have a flat bottomed mod v with a 40hp jet outboard. I like to use it on the rivers and props dont last long. If you are in the NW corner then a prop might be better due to more lakes in the area.
phutch30
hunter

Postby Snuffy » Wed May 30, 2007 3:50 pm

Thanks, putch - That's more information than you know!

Snuffy
Snuffy
Newb

Postby Fredito » Wed May 30, 2007 9:18 pm

Depends on where the ducks are at...You may be up to your knees in mud in a cow pond...Covered up in a small ditch decoying a feild...laying on a riverbank or just jump shooting...I have enjoyed all of those...except the mud...I would look at topos....Find a water source and a food source and spend the majority of your first season scouting ducks when the flocks move in...good luck
Fredito
hunter

Return to Montana Duck Hunting