Freezeout Snows

From Pintails to Mallards, share your Montana duck hunting stories here in the land of the Big Sky country.

Moderator: Lawdog

Freezeout Snows

Postby MS » Wed Jun 13, 2007 6:23 pm

Just wondering if any body hunts freezeout specifically for snows. I can find lots of information about the Spring migration through the area, but not much on the Fall. Do the snows come through there in large enough numbers to hunt them in the fall? Thanks for the help!
MS
hunter

Postby Troutslayer » Wed Jun 13, 2007 7:38 pm

There aren't as many in the fall as there are in the spring and they may only be there for a breif period of time in the migration. I don't know if people target them or not. I have hunted there a good bit and have never seen one during hunting season.
Troutslayer
hunter

Postby phutch30 » Thu Jun 14, 2007 8:34 am

Hunt snows at freezeout the weekend befor through the weekend after halloween. Most years this will put you in the good numbers 150000-250000. Call the hotline to monitor the numbers. I dont do it, but one of my friends goes every year.
phutch30
hunter

Postby marcbme » Thu Jun 14, 2007 5:57 pm

I've always found snow hunting to be spotty at best. Usually they are WAY too high to even scrape with a shotgun.
Lord......let me be as good a hunter as my dog thinks I am....amen
marcbme
hunter

Postby Duck Runner » Fri Jun 15, 2007 8:17 am

Curious... Anyone know how they are hunting snows around the Freezeout area? On the lake, in a field, or just jump/sneak shooting?

We always put the sneak on the snows back in Nebraska during the spring conservation and it was always a blast. If you haven't done something like that, then you should try to do it once. No plug required, no harvest limit, and millions of birds.
Duck Runner
State Moderator

Postby marcbme » Fri Jun 15, 2007 8:59 am

Duck Runner wrote:Curious... Anyone know how they are hunting snows around the Freezeout area? On the lake, in a field, or just jump/sneak shooting?

We always put the sneak on the snows back in Nebraska during the spring conservation and it was always a blast. If you haven't done something like that, then you should try to do it once. No plug required, no harvest limit, and millions of birds.

We laid on the causeway banks and waited for fly-overs. My very first time there, they were flying over in flocks numbering into the thousands. Our primary target were the swans, but we took the odd unlucky snow that happened to fly lower then it's buddies.
Lord......let me be as good a hunter as my dog thinks I am....amen
marcbme
hunter

Postby phutch30 » Fri Jun 15, 2007 9:29 am

Most of the consistant shooting on the snows is pass shooting them as they leave the refuge. It takes place along the fence line that is on the west side of pond 4 and runs more or less south. It is the boundry of the no hunting area next to the main lake. You want a windy day, it keeps them down lower.
phutch30
hunter

Postby MS » Sat Jun 16, 2007 10:31 pm

I was hoping for some decoy action over the water. Doesn't sound like Freezeout would be the right place for that. Thanks for all the info!
MS
hunter

Postby phutch30 » Mon Jun 18, 2007 9:09 am

You cant hunt on the lake where the snows roost. And they generally wont land consistantly on any of the other ponds. If one is crazy enough to try, the 100 sky busters ringing the pond will convince it otherwise.
phutch30
hunter

Return to Montana Duck Hunting