TRansplanted Texan

From Pintails to Mallards, share your Montana duck hunting stories here in the land of the Big Sky country.

Moderator: Lawdog

TRansplanted Texan

Postby BFOX » Mon Jul 30, 2007 12:18 pm

Howdy
Im here working in Montana and im looking for someone to hunt with this coming season, Im willing to pay for a good guide. Also looking to make a bear hunt so any info in this department would be helpfull. I will be working nights but will have sundays off. Staying in the Columbus area.

Thanks
Bubba Fox
BFOX
hunter

Postby Troutslayer » Mon Jul 30, 2007 12:41 pm

As far as I know you have to get your bear tag in the spring and only after passing an easy identification test that makes sure you can id a black bear. As a non-resident you are now pretty limited in what you can hunt because you would have had to apply for the tags and things you need in advance. You can still hunt upland and waterfowl of course and also deer. You could probably still hunt elk if you went with an outfitter who has a spot for you. You need a law degree to understand the regulations and they are avalible in PDF format on FWPs web page. Good luck.
Troutslayer
hunter

Postby BFOX » Tue Jul 31, 2007 11:27 am

Well i appreciate the info on the Bears. How about yalls duck hunting ? Thats really my passion. Is there plenty of public hunting or should i try to book a guide? Also big on upland so any thing youve got to suggest? Thanks.
BFOX
hunter

Postby Fredito » Tue Jul 31, 2007 4:13 pm

For public land the best bet is to go to FWP and ask for the Block Mang. book and find the places close to you
Fredito
hunter

Where in MT

Postby Chris_TX » Sun Aug 05, 2007 8:00 pm

Where are you at in MT? I lived out in Great Falls for 6yrs and shot all kinds of ducks and geese. There is a ton of public hunting areas. MT isn't locked up like Texas.
Chris_TX
hunter

Postby phutch30 » Mon Aug 06, 2007 7:20 am

Yup, Great falls is the place to be for ducks and geese.

You can also still buy a bear tag, you just have to purchase it prior to the bear opener sept 15. You also have to pass that easy bear test.
phutch30
hunter

Return to Montana Duck Hunting