Great last weekend!

From Pintails to Mallards, share your Montana duck hunting stories here in the land of the Big Sky country.

Moderator: Lawdog

Great last weekend!

Postby Curls-and-Bands » Sun Jan 12, 2014 11:21 pm

Our season closes on Tuesday so today was my last day to hunt. I got permission for the property that I hunted right after Christmas with my brother and buddies. I hunted by myself since my little brother didn't come home due to the wind. He missed out big time and I made sure he knew it! I went out Friday evening and maybe sure the ducks were still in the irrigation ditch. I could see a bunch from the highway. Saturday morning I pulled through the gate at 7am in the dark and waited for the ducks to leave. When they started leaving I took some video with my phone. I got 7 minutes of a nonstop line of ducks leaving the ditch. Ended up deleting it so I could take better pics and video.

When I thought most of them were gone I hauled butt down the field in my pickup and set out a few decoys as quick as I could. By this time the ducks were already coming back after feeding maybe 10-15 minutes. I parked the truck a couple hundred yards west of me so the ducks wouldn't land down at that end. I ran back to where I left my shotgun and shell bag and waited 5-10 minutes until shooting time and good light to shoot greenheads. It was fast and crazy shooting and I was shooting awesome. Killed 7 greenheads in less than 10 minutes. Shooting time was at 7:40am and I was home at 8:15!

This one was colored weird

This morning my wife went out with me. She wasn't hunting so I got her to bring the video camera to capture how many ducks were actually in this little ditch.
Again we got there at 7am and waited for the ducks to leave. They weren't as cooperative today and I only killed one and my shooting wasn't nearly as good. I just couldn't shoot. Just sat their and watched in awe. Couldn't have wished to spend my last hunt of the season. The video below only shows about 1/4th of the actual number of birds. The rest were still feeding and flying around the field across the road.

Check out the video.
Curls-and-Bands
hunter

Re: Great last weekend!

Postby MarkM » Mon Jan 13, 2014 8:26 am

Your video didn't imbed properly.

Edit: Those are awesome pictures of ducks though. Now I know where they all are :crying:
possumfoot wrote:i cant remember who said it, but they said it best.. to a grown man, watching child birth is like a 9yo watching disney land burn to the ground..

Locked&Loaded wrote:
Indaswamp wrote:...metrosexual....

:lol3: I am!
MarkM
hunter

Postby tealdog » Tue Jan 14, 2014 10:40 pm

Do I need to send Hayden over to smack you for posting all this stuff? :hammer: :biggrin:
tealdog
hunter

Postby Curls-and-Bands » Wed Jan 15, 2014 3:37 pm

There we go. Got it to work now.

I'm not scared of Hayden either! If he wasn't so lazy, he could have bought his duck stamps and come with us!
Curls-and-Bands
hunter

Postby huntfishnv » Wed Jan 15, 2014 10:21 pm

Epic. I bet with a little weather it would have been crazy. I've thought about asking for permission to some ditches around here, they are loaded at times.
Nick Roehl wrote:Everything I say is so damn good you need to quote it for your signiture.

Un-expect the expected
huntfishnv
hunter

Postby hntndux » Sun Jan 19, 2014 10:26 am

Love to see the Youngsters getting into em
hntndux
hunter

Return to Montana Duck Hunting