What a bunch of BS

From Pintails to Mallards, share your Montana duck hunting stories here in the land of the Big Sky country.

Moderator: Lawdog

What a bunch of BS

Postby phutch30 » Thu Jan 23, 2014 9:27 am

Outa the goodness of his heart my ass. He leased up block mangement land. Maybe some people on here will chime in on thier experiances

http://www.grandviewoutdoors.com/articl ... TNe1T.dpbs
....its like taking x-lax when you have a bad cough. It wont clear up your lungs, but it sure stops you from coughing
phutch30
hunter

Re: What a bunch of BS

Postby phutch30 » Thu Jan 23, 2014 11:00 am

One of his "clients" shot him in the face in dillon this fall duck hunting............prob by accident????
Last edited by phutch30 on Thu Jan 23, 2014 5:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
....its like taking x-lax when you have a bad cough. It wont clear up your lungs, but it sure stops you from coughing
phutch30
hunter

Postby K-Town » Thu Jan 23, 2014 3:03 pm

[quote]He leased up block management land [quote]
That sucks. I see he filmed a couple hunts with The Grind Waterfowl TV down thereā€¦. :fingerhead:
K-Town
hunter

Postby phutch30 » Thu Jan 23, 2014 4:59 pm

stupid double post
Last edited by phutch30 on Thu Jan 23, 2014 5:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
phutch30
hunter

Postby phutch30 » Thu Jan 23, 2014 5:00 pm

Yea but he filmed them just outa the goodness of his heart...

word to the wise! always watch who you take to spots
phutch30
hunter

Postby pmahler21 » Sat Jan 25, 2014 12:20 am

amen to that
pmahler21
Newb

Postby Deer Lodge Josh » Sat Jan 25, 2014 7:24 pm

Great another big piece closed off to the common man. Dillon gets worse every year. Then again this is going on everywhere. If this guy cares about taking people out it would be block management so everyone has a chance and the people he takes out can experience what it is like to get in early and get a spot and call to birds that may be call shy. Just hope he gets out alot to keep the birds moving. Nothing worse than watching thousands of ducks land in an area because the rich guy isn't hunting that day.
Thankfully this week the MT supreme court rules against the rich guy in the Ruby valley so we can fish there again. I know I donated money to the public land group. Was good to see local group beat the rich lawyers and keep the stream access alive.
Deer Lodge Josh
hunter

Postby pmahler21 » Sat Jan 25, 2014 10:33 pm

Yes this story has more holes in it than a seining net but what are you going to do...the guy is an opportunist but I can't blame the landowner on this one given the hassle of having BMA (the sign in alone). Does he take out kids & warriors? Yes I am sure he does. Does he take advantage of the system & rules? Probably unfortunately.

Regardless I lost one of my best pieces of private this year to raising lease pricing & a change in the by laws that the owner just cant do anymore. Point being, I'll have to bust my hump this winter & spring & summer to gain permission, trust & find another spot to fill the void. Time to be a likable human & work some gift card magic
pmahler21
Newb

Postby PTROOFER FTFOWLER » Sat Jan 25, 2014 11:32 pm

Last year I was able to sponsor a greenwing hunt for four teenage boys with this gentleman. I did not set up the trip, just provided some money for the lodge and travel expenses we stayed at. There was no extra charge for the hunting as Mr. Baker was taking the kids out for free. I was invited to join the kids and bring my trailer of decoys to help out on the hunt. The lodge was nice, the kids killed some birds the first day, none the second, but I believe the group had a great time. I had a couple meetings and converations with Mr. Baker before the trip and had taken him out hunting on one of my spots the season before and been invited to hunt with him and a couple other guys in corvalis the year before, more or less a excrement show, but whatever.
I have heard alot of stories about his operation there and have no idea what to believe. I have heard DU was providing the leasing fee for the ranch, I have heard the majority of his wounded warrior hunts are him and a buddy of his from dillon. I have really no idea what to believe at this point.
I do know that when I was talking with the guy who set up the greenwing hunt last year and asked if he would be needing another donation to take a group of kids this year he said he wasn't going to do the hunt. Now this is second hand, but this is what I was told. Upon inquiring about taking the trip he was told by Mr. Baker that due to him going broke and spending so much of his own money that this year it would be 550 for the lodge and 500 for hunting fees. Lodge check made out to the owners like last year and hunting fees made out to Jason Baker. I'm no legal expert but that certainly sounds like a guide fee to me and Mr. Baker is definatly not a licensed guide. Once again this comes with the caveat that this is second hand info and I have heard so many stories of this operation from a ton of different people that it could all be true or all bull excrement.
I don't live there, I have enjoyed some wonderful hunts on that ranch when it was block management and wish it was still available. If it is all above board then I congradulate Mr. Baker on providing something for WWP and Greenwings. I just have my doubts.
I'm the type of guy who "cups" his hand over his butt, farts, and dishes it out like a soup kitchen.
PTROOFER FTFOWLER
hunter

Postby pmahler21 » Sun Jan 26, 2014 12:44 am

Very well said PTRoofer, as you mentioned my cup runneth over as well with doubts. Doesn't help given the history I have there.

Character is something you cant fake & you cant teach an old dog new tricks.

Any way to verify the $550 fee that was to be made out to him? Also why was the Grind there?
pmahler21
Newb

Postby Coothtr » Sun Jan 26, 2014 12:38 pm

And everyone wonders why duck hunter numbers are down nation wide, the rich keep leasing land and the average Joe gets tired of competing with everyone on public grounds. Go figure!
Coothtr
Newb

Postby PTROOFER FTFOWLER » Sun Jan 26, 2014 12:50 pm

Trust me if I could prove the fee I would have called fish and game.
According to the calender on his website the grind was there for four days to film a wounded warrior hunt. Im sure they finally showed up after numerous requests from Mr. Baker to get them to come down and film his greatness. I am eagerly awaiting the episode for nothing more then the interviews with him, should be pretty comical. According to the calendar on his website he took out three groups with a wounded warrior and two groups with one kid in each. According to his interview in the above article he spends 25 percent of his annual income on providing hunting for these groups. Either the real estate market there is down and he doesn't make much money, or he is full of bs. Hell I took out more groups of kids this year then that, plus one newbie hunter from Bridger several times, plus God knows how much money I spent on the 64 days of hunting I did this year. I'm sending a letter to the local paper, I want a damn article about me as well. I never put myself in a position to be shot in the face by my buddy however so I don't have that going for me.
I'm the type of guy who "cups" his hand over his butt, farts, and dishes it out like a soup kitchen.
PTROOFER FTFOWLER
hunter

Postby 2point » Sun Jan 26, 2014 1:32 pm

A coworker of mine had his son and friend picked for the youth hunt at Teller this year. He wanted me to come and bring my dog and calls. I got there early and met Jason and he seemed like he really wanted to show the kids a good time. One kid showed up unorganized with no conservation license. Grandpa was told about this the night before and heard he needed no license so he never got him the conservation license.

Jason gave his grandfather his card and said call me and I will get the kid out this year and I will have everything he needs. He said he would take the kid to Bob Wards if need be to get him a conservation license. From what I saw I thought he was a stand up guy for trying to get youth involved in waterfowl hunting, the same with the wounded warrior program. We had a great hunt and the boys each got 5 ducks and my dog got some work before the season opened.
2point
hunter

Postby pmahler21 » Sun Jan 26, 2014 4:02 pm

maybe things have changed, hopefully they have.
pmahler21
Newb

Postby tealdog » Sun Jan 26, 2014 10:45 pm

Excrement show? :lol3: that's funny.

It's also exactly how I would describe my only hunt with this guy. It was a youth deal, not organized by him, and enough to know I would not be adding him to the list of people I want to shoot with in the future.
tealdog
hunter

Postby TopWop » Mon Jan 27, 2014 12:28 am

I never put myself in a position to be shot in the face by my buddy however so I don't have that going for me.

I bet Hutch has shot on your face plenty of times...

C'mon, who couldn't see that one a MILE away?
TopWop
hunter

Return to Montana Duck Hunting