Duck Hunting Forum banner

Decoy Setup

2K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  rednechuntr 
#1 ·
I was just wondering what kind of decoy placement you guys deploy in the early season? I tried a few different types of setups, but the ducks just did not seem to want to work my spread. I had a mojo and a jerk cord which i thought would be the cat's meow but i just wanted to get some experienced waterfowler's opinions and advice. Thanks

#2 ·
I don't think it makes a bit of difference on opening day if there is pressure. Ducks are just flying in panic mode and not exhibiting normal characteristics. I normally don't find that decoy placement matters that much in areas where I hunt in general. Decoy #'s matter (big #'s and small #'s depending on the time of season and pressure), but I don't think that placement matters that much aside from making sure you are set correctly for wind direction and have somewhat of a pocket if possible. But that is my opinion.

#3 ·
I usually just try to make it look like a normal group of ducks hanging around. Just like how people like to listen to a hen mallard to get a better idea of how a real comeback call should sound or a feeding chuckle, I like to observe them to see how they congregate on the water. Most of the time, they are packed in tight. That's usually how I set up the decoys later on in the season. Divers are obviously a different ball game. Early season when everything wants to just sit down and get away from all the skybusters, I usually do a half moon facing away from me with the mojo facing in towards the middle of the pocket and facing into the wind. Everything from widgeons, teal and pintails sat down at my feet. I think it was a combination of being opening day and them being shellshocked and that I was luckily in the right spot. Better luck to you tomorrow though man.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.