Duck Hunting Forum banner

Worst Start to a Season ever?

3K views 14 replies 10 participants last post by  OGblackcloud 
#1 ·
So typically I bowhunt till the end of the season since it seems to be impossible for me to kill a elk with my bow, then around the end of October I finally start working into duck hunting, then manage to fit in 80+ days in November thru January. This year I decided to hang up the bow a little earlier and start on ducks the start of the season and try to get in over a hundred days after ducks this year. So Having scouted up a pond last week, I came home from the breaks saturday and ran out with a buddy to check out the bird numbers and finalize a plan for Sunday morning. Was standing outside the truck looking at birds with my dog running around and decided to drive a couple hundred yards to see the other end of the lake. Hopped in the truck and the worst thing possible happened. I ran over my damn dog. Jumped out of the truck and she was hopping around on three legs. Those first few seconds getting out of the truck and looking for her were some of the worst of my life, thoughts running through my head of what my daughter was gonna say if I brought back a dead dog.

Got her into the vet and thank god no broken bones. She has some trauma to her side with a little fluid around her lungs and they said there is a possibility she might have suffered some damaged ligaments in her knee. Told to keep her confined in a room for two weeks so she doesn't move around much, then slowly get her walking after that. No hunting or vigorous activity for 4-6 weeks. I'm glad she seems like she will be ok, but damn I wish I would have stayed in the breaks all weekend. Just a reminder to be heads up out there guys, anything can happen. Hope everyone else had a great opening weekend. Looks like I'll be hunting fields for awhile unless I go out with a friend with a dog. Happy hunting everyone.

See less See more
#6 ·
Thanks guys, she is actually walking halfway normal tonight so maybe I got awfully lucky. Lesson learned, always let her run around to work out some of her energy before heading to blind, but no more coming out of the kennel till the truck is parked. Looking back on mornings at busy boat ramps with people loading and unloading boats and dogs running all over, its a surprise Ive never seen a dog get hit yet. Keep an eye on your hunting partners everyone.

#7 ·
So easy for that to happen. Could probably happen to all of us at one time or another. My 9 year old male is getting up there and gets so sore after a hard hunt that he needs a few days to recouperate, so I've gotta slow down a bit this year too...that along with 4 kids (18 month old twins to boot) will keep me out of the field a bit more this year.

Gonna hit it tomorrow though on one of my ponds that was loaded this afternoon :hammer:

#8 ·
Really sorry to hear about your dog Ray. Hope she is on the mend.
If it's any consolation I ran over Bella TWICE! Once when she was 10 weeks,
she bailed out of my Jeep and got her front paw with the rear tire. Ended up
with a bad sprain. The other time was fishing at Yellowtail Res. My Uncle drove
his boat on the trailer and I was pulling it out of the water and thump, followed
by a terrible dog scream. What a sickening feeling, I felt so helpless.
Nothing broken, tore some ligiments. Effected her more when she was older.

Hope for the best, try not to worry too much.

#13 ·
Went out Saturday with her, unfortunately she just sat there looking at me wondering why we didnt shoot any birds. Evidentely the vet forgot to factor in that she is a hardcore, hunt the river when its 30 below zero duck dog. She got the clean bill of health from him on Friday. Turned out to just be bruising and soreness. Never seen an animal more pissed then when I would get the stuff ready and take off without her for the first couple weeks. Back in the saddle now though.

#14 ·
:banana: :thumbsup: :clapping: :beer: Great News!

Well, if you get a second dog and leave one at home you may see
a worse look mixed with hurt. I was sure Bella was going to crap
in my bed the first time I took Rocki and left her.
Thanks for the update,glad she is ok

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.