Duck Hunting Forum banner

First double of the year

3K views 11 replies 5 participants last post by  phutch30 
#1 ·
:biggrin: hehehe

See less See more
#6 ·
Ive got several floaters out in the sewer pond but every time I swim out for one I keep grabbing the wrong ones in my mouth

#9 ·
Nice looking yotes. I have been hearing more of them around.

As for them as food, my friend in CA used to bring them to work. Some of his fellow employees were 1st and 2nd generation from SE Asia countries where dog was a common food source. They gladly took the coyotes. Good for him too as good to see nothing go to waste. We might think it as odd or gross but providing meat for a family was okay with him. I have heard is is a little greasy tasting. US is one of the only countries out there that doesn't eat horse, dog or even insects. I guess when you are only lucky enough to eat meat once a month or less, dog starts sounding good. Though I am looking forward to filling the freezer with grass fed whitetail next saturday. And a steak will be my choice this weekend.

#11 ·
HaydenHunter said:
Deer Lodge Josh said:
Nice looking yotes. I have been hearing more of them around.
I thought I read somewhere last year that money which previously funded coyote control (aerial hunting, etc.) had been diverted to wolf control. Any truth to that, and is that why you might be seeing more around?
I never heard of aerial hunting anywhere near me. Over in my valley the past 5-10yrs the coyotes are thicker down low. Main reason I heard is the the wolves are thicker up in the elk country and pushed the yotes out. But now less fox down low. When I bought my place in 07, would see fox all the time. Now mostly yotes. My neighbors raise sheep so they and many others self control to local population. Still plenty of fox and coyotes. No shortage of voles and other snacks for them to eat. I had a neighbor "remove" some muskrats from a ditch and hang them on a fence. I put game cam on them to see what would eat them. Had coyotes walk right past them. So much food in the area they didn't even touch them.

#12 ·
Wildlife control flys different areas of the state for coyotes. I would bet some areas in the deerlodge valley get flown. I havent heard of the funds getting diverted for wolf control. I'd be happy if they did. Some of my best areas get hammered by wildlife control.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.