Duck Hunting Forum banner

question

2K views 10 replies 7 participants last post by  ehughston6 
#1 ·
Since this is my first season up here in montana... what happens when all the water freezes up? I know the season goes to mid january, but is there even any birds around still by then? I've already noticed all the ponds starting to freeze over. Is there places where the water doesn't freeze over? I'm in eastern montana if that makes any difference. The hunting is just now starting to get good and it sucks seeing all my spots starting to freeze over.

#2 ·
Never been somewhere where ALL water freezes up. You have to find some that doesn't....and once you do you'll be surprised. But you won't find any of that here online, at least not any that won't send you to GPS location of a Walmart parking lot....

#3 ·

Not the best picture but was takin on the 2nd to last day of the season last year. Don't know about the rest of the state but around my hometown, the birds would leave to feed while it was still dark. We just happened to find this spot early one morning on the way to work and caught a glimpse of ducks. 1000s of mallards were packed in this little ditch that happened to open up due to a warm day and bunch of wind. Find a warm spring and ducks will be there. We have even cut holes in the ice of a slew with an ice auger and chainsaw and has ducks fallin in. If there is food and a little open water, they will be there.

#4 ·
MontanaNewbie said:
Never been somewhere where ALL water freezes up. You have to find some that doesn't....and once you do you'll be surprised. But you won't find any of that here online, at least not any that won't send you to GPS location of a Walmart parking lot....
I'm not asking for any spots, I've put in a lot of miles and hours scouting out the spots I've been hunting so far. I'm just asking if all the water freezes over, or if some spots stay open. Everyone I've talked to in person believes there is absolutely no water open in the winter time.

#6 ·
ehughston6 said:
MontanaNewbie said:
I'm not asking for any spots, I've put in a lot of miles and hours scouting out the spots I've been hunting so far. I'm just asking if all the water freezes over, or if some spots stay open. Everyone I've talked to in person believes there is absolutely no water open in the winter time.
There should be open water somewhere, whether it is a hole blown open by the wind or a little hidden warm spring. It might not be much but you will just have to get out and scout for birds once it gets cold enough to freeze most water solid. Once you find open water, you will be amazed how many ducks can squeeze in a little hole.

#7 ·
This is the time for small boats and small spreads. A small boat(Carstens pintail & poke boat is what I use) Something you can load your gear in and pull behind you easily with a rope on the snow. Find a open spot be it warm spring or river.
small water near grain fields will hold birds. It is work but worth it.

#9 ·
Said he's in eastern montana hutch. Being from southeastern MT myself, I can assure you not all the water freezes. Had a quick limit this morning on a 10x30 foot sliver of open water on a larger pond that had frozen over except in front of the spring that feeds it. Ducks were fighting each other to get in.

#10 ·
Well eastern MT covers a fair bit of country. If hes in NE MT then he will have less chance of finding open water with birds than around you. Not saying it all freezes, I know the MO in NE doesnt freeze over completly. Betting with some window time birds could be found all tru the season no matter where your at in varying numbers.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.