Duck Hunting Forum banner

Upland question

2K views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  greatwhite 
#1 ·
I know this isn't the best place for this topic--feel free to delete it--but thought I may be able to get some help. I live in Washington and am in the process of training my first pointing breed. I am in the process of planning a trip to Montana in the near future for some of his first wild bird hunting. Partly because I want to hunt birds there, and partly I just want to see Montana! I moved out from Georgia not too long ago. I am considering the havre, lewistown, or miles city area. Are these areas huntable for pheasant/sharptail in the beginning of December or is everything usually snowed out and unhuntable by then? I am thinking the first week or two. I am just kind of winging it and planning on doing some exploring. Would like to just sleep in the truck to save some money, but it may be too cold. Any help is appreciated! I am coming solo, so anyone is welcome to join, but I warn you the pup is young and not expecting much! Thanks.

#2 ·
Lewistown has some great pheasant hunting, and eastern montana has some great upland hunting as well. I have done a few trips to Sydney, MT (basically in North Dakota) in december and done well. Be aware that the birds will most likely be pretty wild and flush easy, but it can be done. The exception is sharpies, they are as dumb as a box of rocks. When we went, we stopped by the FWP office and got maps of BLM land and hunted that, which worked great. There is lots of country to hunt, but like i said earlier, the birds can be pretty wild. Don't be afraid to put on some miles and when it gets cold the birds bunch up in thick cover, so focus on the gnarly stuff that looks like it could hold birds. You may do some walking to find em, but in some areas they are thick. Good luck, and feel free to PM for any more advice

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.