Migrating North

From Pintails to Mallards, share your Montana duck hunting stories here in the land of the Big Sky country.

Moderator: Lawdog

Migrating North

Postby TurkishTiger » Thu Jan 29, 2009 4:56 pm

Hey guys, this may be jumping the gun, since I don't know for sure yet, but it looks like I may be moving up your way. I will most likely be in the Bozeman area.

What's the duck hunting like in the Yellowstone River valley? Is there enough public land for everyone to spread out on? Do most of you guys hunt the river, fields, or are there other wetlands that you guys get on? What is the likelihood of getting permission to hunt private land?

I'm moving from MS where I just enjoyed one of the best duck hunting seasons I've ever had. If I do come, I'll be moving up in April and the job I am looking into would run through October. I spent a summer in Yellowstone, so I know most things close up in the winter, but what would be the chances of finding employment come October? Would I need to just migrate south again?

Thanks for the help guys and maybe we'll be seeing you soon.

Chris
TurkishTiger
hunter

Postby phutch30 » Thu Jan 29, 2009 5:24 pm

The job market is less than good right now.
The yellowstone vally is good and it runs for about 400 miles so ya theres room. The area around bozeman is good. Getting access is another matter. Knock on doors and you may get lucky.
phutch30
hunter

Postby Thedozer » Thu Jan 29, 2009 5:53 pm

Turkish, I might be in the same boat as you. I have a buddy that has lived in livingston for about 2 years and I have been out there quite a few times but never hunted. There is a possibility that I might be movin out there in Augest or Sept. kind of like you, I worked in Jackson the past three years and Iowa just doesn't do it for me anymore. So if I do and you need a huntin partner let me know. I am pretty pumped about it, I just have to find a job out there first.
Good enough for the girls I date.
Thedozer
hunter

Postby quackpipe » Sun Feb 01, 2009 8:58 am

This guy asked us the same question last year. We will no longer encourage people to move here. He was going to shoot deer and ducks and survive off them this winter.
http://www.missoulian.com/articles/2009 ... news04.txt
quackpipe
hunter

Postby Smackaduck » Sun Feb 01, 2009 9:23 am

Thats an awful story. :eek:
If they're dumb enough to be lured in by plastic you're really just doing them a favor.

Know your target before you pull the trigger.

Duck Hunting is ALL about the bag.
Smackaduck
Super Moderator

Postby NONYA » Sun Feb 01, 2009 9:49 am

Not really,MT has a way of weeding out the non desirables,"You cant cheat the mountian Pilgrim" :no:
If it isnt fair chase its FOUL!
NONYA
hunter

Postby phutch30 » Sun Feb 01, 2009 12:06 pm

As that couple from Oklahoma found out while trying to winter in a cabin in the Cabnet mountians. 1 dead, 1 wishing he was
phutch30
hunter

Postby La. Hunter » Sun Feb 01, 2009 1:36 pm

quackpipe wrote:This guy asked us the same question last year. We will no longer encourage people to move here. He was going to shoot deer and ducks and survive off them this winter.
http://www.missoulian.com/articles/2009 ... news04.txt

You knew this guy? If so, did he not take any advice from anyone?
La. Hunter
Site Admin

Postby Thedozer » Sun Feb 01, 2009 10:39 pm

I personally don't plan on killing my meals everyday. I plan on goin to the grocery stores. Than probably gettin me a steer for the freezer. But it isn't official yet so none of ya'll get all butt hurt about someone else moving to your state just yet.
Thedozer
hunter

Postby DuckSlyer16 » Sun Feb 01, 2009 10:48 pm

Thedozer wrote:I personally don't plan on killing my meals everyday. I plan on goin to the grocery stores. Than probably gettin me a steer for the freezer. But it isn't official yet so none of ya'll get all butt hurt about someone else moving to your state just yet.

well played
DuckSlyer16
hunter

Postby NONYA » Sun Feb 01, 2009 11:21 pm

Maybe you can move up here and shoot 70 ducks with 73 shots your first trip out,everyone else does....Go ahead and move up,you can rent the home being vacated by the people moving out of state to find a job that will pay the bills. :thumbsup:
If it isnt fair chase its FOUL!
NONYA
hunter

Postby Thedozer » Mon Feb 02, 2009 12:54 am

Ya that is goin to be awesome, only bill I have right now is a cell phone bill. I should be alright. and if not theres always texas....
Thedozer
hunter

Postby phutch30 » Mon Feb 02, 2009 11:27 am

We like to bust on people on the MT forum. But in all honesty, find a job before moving up here. Work is tough to find in good times, right now its really hard. The smaller towns are dead. Billings would be good. The bighorn river and grain fields east of the city are steller waterfowling. Missoula is crazy expensive to live in way way out of proportion to what you will be able to make. And so so hunting. The cost of living in most parts of MT is way out of proportion to the wages they pay. I dont know how 90% of the people get by. Waterfowling is good over most of the state, if you spend time looking around. The problem with MT is none of it is close to anything. You might have one good spot close but the next area is 1-3 hours away.
Down where I am at has good hunting if you spend the time to learn how to hunt it and can manage to get late season permission for access. But good luck finding a job here. There arent any. Bozeman has some really good hunting IF you can get access. Good luck. Great falls good hunting better chance of finding work and a place to live.

Be prepared before coming out!
phutch30
hunter

Postby Thedozer » Mon Feb 02, 2009 1:45 pm

But in all honesty, find a job before moving up here.

Phutch I def. plan on doing this before anything. If I don't find a job and a place than I won't move. I know how spread out things are out there. I have drove acrossed it before and have lived in Wyoming the past 3 years. Even tho it was Jackson it really wasn't me, too many rich pricks for me. Like I said I have a buddy that has lived out there for 2 years. So if I do move out there I will either move to Livingston or Bozeman. I have been up there probably 5 times and I like the area. So I guess we will see, and like I said nothing is official yet, so just calm down and maybe if I do come out there we can go for a beer or 15.
Thedozer
hunter

Postby montana quackhead » Tue Feb 03, 2009 8:28 am

Hutch, I hear the KFC at the town pump is hiring. And I think Papa T's needs a new pizza delivery guy. I'm coming down!! Making the big bucks now!! :rofl:
Give me some quack and I'll never work again
montana quackhead
hunter

Postby phutch30 » Tue Feb 03, 2009 9:33 am

LOL. Yup you too can live the dream @ $6.20 an hour. Too bad you need to make 3 times that to afford the gas,food and rent here. Although tha 6 bucks goes alot further here than up in granola central where your at.
phutch30
hunter

Postby Thedozer » Tue Feb 03, 2009 1:53 pm

That probably wouldn't work for me, I am a big boy, I would probably eat everything before it got delivered or served. I love fried chicken.
Thedozer
hunter

Postby montana quackhead » Wed Feb 04, 2009 12:37 am

Is that why they call you "The Dozer". If I land those jobs, I sneak you out some pizza and chicken. Hutch, you got me dying laughing!! :rofl: :rofl: Yup, up here in granola country things aren't looking too good. :sad:
Give me some quack and I'll never work again
montana quackhead
hunter

Postby Thedozer » Wed Feb 04, 2009 3:31 pm

montana quackhead wrote:Is that why they call you "The Dozer". If I land those jobs, I sneak you out some pizza and chicken. Hutch, you got me dying laughing!! :rofl: :rofl: Yup, up here in granola country things aren't looking too good. :sad:

Nice! Pepperoni, and I like extra crispy and mac and cheese, and don't forget those little Snackers they have, the ones in buffalo sauce.Those things are awesome :yes:
Thedozer
hunter

Postby TurkishTiger » Thu Feb 05, 2009 11:14 am

Thanks for all the advice, smartasses. It seems that duck hunters in Montana are just as sarcastic as they are in Mississippi. Everybody thinks they're a comedian. :rolleyes:

But seriously, if I come, it will be for a job. If the job doesn't come through, I won't be moving. But if it does work out, I could be moving up in April, so we'll see.
TurkishTiger
hunter

Postby phutch30 » Thu Feb 05, 2009 12:11 pm

Oh yea one more thing you wont be able to get a resident license until after duck season opens. You have to wait 180 days after all residentcy requirements are met. :biggrin:
phutch30
hunter

Postby Thedozer » Thu Feb 05, 2009 8:58 pm

More money going to the state for out of state non residence license. Can't be a bad thing is it?
Thedozer
hunter

Postby scientia » Thu Feb 05, 2009 11:29 pm

TurkishTiger, take this all with a grain of salt (which you seem to be doing). If you are so fortunate to land a job here and make the move let me be one of the first to say welcome to a great place. The hunting is good (great if you have the time to do lots of scouting, which I don't).

Folks get a bit grouchy when it comes to folks moving to Montana, as though we all own some special rights to the place. Of course, the majority of us moved here at some point, or our parents did, or our grandparents. Some will try to claim that they are "native Montanans". When I hear that I like to ask about their tribal affiliation since the Crow, Cheyenne, etc. are really the only folks that can really claim to be "native Montanans". Of course, the Crow have only been here since the 1700's so I am not sure that qualifies either....
Scientia
scientia
hunter

Postby nemont » Fri Feb 06, 2009 10:34 am

Native: -belonging to one by birth; "my native land"; "one's native language"
-a person born in a particular place or country; "he is a native of Canada"

It really doesn't matter to me if one is a native, which I can claim by nature of my grandmother being part Gros Ventre since that apparently is the test, or not my issue is the attitude prevalent among the transplants.

Instead of saying Montanan's think they have a right to the place it would be more accurate that many transplants move here for the lifestyle and immediately put to work changing the lifestyle.

I am fortunate as to where I live because most transplants only last 18 months, after the 2nd winter flowed by the blazing heat and mosqitoes of winter they leave but over west that is a different deal. Many transplants come and buy up land for their own piece of Montana and then put up the no tresspassing signs. That is perfectly their right to do but that was not the tradition of Montanan's being neighbors and allowing access.

So please do come and if you like it stay but consider adopting the attitude of the locals and their lifestyle rather then wishing to recreate what you left.

Native Montanan,

Nemont
nemont
hunter

Postby phutch30 » Fri Feb 06, 2009 11:08 am

Im just naturalized.
phutch30
hunter

Next

Return to Montana Duck Hunting