How about a bio

From Pintails to Mallards, share your Montana duck hunting stories here in the land of the Big Sky country.

Moderator: Lawdog

Re: How about a bio

Postby dan922 » Thu Oct 07, 2010 8:16 pm

Hey everyone,
My name's Dan, I'm 23 and a student at MSU, got out of the marines last may did 2 pumps to afghan as an infantry assaultman. Have been out a couple of times, so far this year. Before that i hunted in minnesota and wisconsin since i was a little guy. Don't know many people out here, but i have a 14' duck boat and i'm always willing to make room for an extra gun. If anyone is interested in going out drop me a line i usually go out mondays, wednesdays, and the weekends.
dan922
hunter

Postby Lawdog » Thu Oct 07, 2010 8:40 pm

Thank you for your service. And welcome here.
Rest in Peace, Ryder. Boy, you went before your time, in the start of your prime. You were loyal and are missed.

~ 4 March 2013.
Lawdog
State Moderator

Postby phutch30 » Thu Oct 14, 2010 5:00 pm

Semper Fi! I was in the corps from 91-96 as an 03. Love it...at least most of it. LOL I also went to MSU. Welcome
....its like taking x-lax when you have a bad cough. It wont clear up your lungs, but it sure stops you from coughing
phutch30
hunter

Postby dan922 » Thu Oct 14, 2010 11:40 pm

Semper Fi brother, yeah i agree when i got out i thought it would be good riddance, but turns out i miss it a lot, oh we ll i guess i'll just have to fill that void with duck hunting.
dan922
hunter

Postby Duck-Duck-Goose » Fri Oct 15, 2010 1:30 pm

Hey All, My name is Rob. Been lurking the site for awhile and finally signed up, not sure what the hell I was waiting for! Been in the Boz/Liv area about 9 years, graduated from MSU and hunt/fish for whatever I can whenever I can. Good luck out there this season!
Duck-Duck-Goose
hunter

Postby mojocoot » Fri Oct 15, 2010 3:57 pm

hey, my name is Zach. I grew up in SW Idaho and moved to Montana 6 or 7 years ago for school and then stayed for work. I currently live and work in Helena, but travel quite a bit through western and central Montana for hunting and fishing.
mojocoot
hunter

Postby RNT~DuckCaller » Sat Oct 16, 2010 2:50 pm

Hey guys my names Cameron and im 21 years old. Lived in MT for almost two years now and worked at sportsmans warehouse until it closed. Attended MSU Billings and will return to MT early next year. Good luck hunting this year and knock em dead for me!
RNT~DuckCaller
hunter

Postby MTwaterdog » Mon Oct 18, 2010 6:19 pm

hey all.. My name is Brian. good to see former Marines here (89-99) had to make a choice, be a dad or be a Marine .... being a dad won. been in missoula for the last 4 years duck hunting and chasing elk shadows ever since.. Semper Fi
MTwaterdog
hunter

Postby dan922 » Tue Oct 19, 2010 1:05 pm

Well, seeing all the former marines her i might as well throw my buddy's address up. He's in helmand province, AFG rightn now and i know they all like getting jerky and stuff like that (nice break from MRE's) in the mail, so if you got any extra wild game jerky i'm sure they'd definately appreciate it.

Sgt. Lin, Tony K.
1/8 Alpha Co. WPNS Plt.
Unit 73205
FPO AE 09510-3205
dan922
hunter

Postby jberg440 » Tue Nov 09, 2010 2:58 pm

This is my second post. The names Justin im 24, i was born and raised in Minnesota, but at about 3pm Dec 15th i take my last final of the semester and am hitting the road for the 12hr drive to Bozeman.

Im currently a student at the u of MN Crookston and will be transfering to MSU and plan on going to graduate school there as well. Growing up in MN i've gotten quite accustomed to crowded hunting spots and have gotten pretty good at getting the heck away from people in order to shoot ducks and deer and catch fish.

I spend most of my time chasing every type of game and fishing my rear end off. Favorite winter activity is definatly ice fishing, cant wait to trick those Montana walleyes into coming through my ice hole! Anyway i look forward to getting to know you boys a little more on here.

thanks_ Justin
The man banging on the door kept yelling "Alcohol, Tobbaco, and Firearms!" I just assumed it was more supplies.
jberg440
hunter

Postby Bulldog0156 » Wed Nov 10, 2010 10:27 pm

Favorite winter activity is definatly ice fishing, cant wait to trick those Montana walleyes into coming through my ice hole!

Have fun, no live bait (fish) in Montana so there go the tip ups.
Bulldog0156
hunter

Postby nemont » Thu Nov 11, 2010 9:52 pm

Bulldog0156 wrote:
Favorite winter activity is definatly ice fishing, cant wait to trick those Montana walleyes into coming through my ice hole!

Have fun, no live bait (fish) in Montana so there go the tip ups.

You need to check because the no live bait doesn't apply to all waters. We use tip ups all the time and live bait as well. Check the regs.

Nemont
nemont
hunter

Postby phutch30 » Mon Nov 15, 2010 3:09 pm

Pretty much whole eastern fishing district is open to live minnows.
....its like taking x-lax when you have a bad cough. It wont clear up your lungs, but it sure stops you from coughing
phutch30
hunter

Postby MThuntr » Wed Nov 17, 2010 10:25 pm

Hey Montana Duck Crew...new here but often lurk. My name is Grant. I go by MThuntr on every forum I am a member of. I'm originally from Nebraska and currently live in Lewistown. An internship brought me to Montana 7 years ago and I haven't left. Hunting and fishing have officially consumed much of my life and it's a "terrible" addiction.
MThuntr
hunter

Postby flatbed » Mon Nov 22, 2010 10:46 pm

New to the site. Live here in Bozeman and ran in to a great college friend who got me back into duck hunting this season. I have found nothing better than sharing a blind with a great friend 20 min before shooting light when there are no boundaries on what the day can turn into. Looking forward to a good end of the season and really ramping up for 2011.
Flatbed
flatbed
hunter

Postby YHCPrez » Tue Nov 23, 2010 12:53 am

I decided to join this site after meeting our Mod while at work the other day. While this is my first post here I spend time on versatiledogs.com and goosehuntingchat.

My name is Todd and I am a lifelong Montanan. Born in Sidney, grew up in Missoula and now live in Billings. I grew up hunting elk and deer with the occasional bonus grouse mixed in. In 2001 I had a medical scare that motivated me to get more out of life. Wanting to have a longer hunting season I purchased my first shotgun. That purchase was followed by a pair of waders and some decoys. My first duck hunting adventures were inauspicious but memorable and somewhat funny. I shot my first duck on the Clearwater river east of Missoula. It only took a box of shells to find the right lead on the golden eye's that zipped by in the fog. The duck splashed down and I set out to retrieve my first duck. Never did I think the water would be too deep to wade. This realization was made suddenly as I tripped on an underwater rock. Just a trace of water topped my chest waders but it was enough to snap me back to reality. Unfortunately I never retrieved that duck.

The second most memorable moment from those early years was a visit to Lee Metcalf. I called ahead and was assured that I would be able to retrieve ducks in my waders. And I believed that lie. I signed in and set out to my blind. When I threw the first decoy into the 'pond' in the darkness I did not hear the strange sucking sound....I did on the second toss. The decoy lay on it's side in the mud. I decided that I needed to place that decoy in a better spot and started to wade out into the 'pond.' My first step found me waist deep in mud. I reached the decoy and threw it to shore and stepped to get closer to the first decoy. I hit a rock in the mud with my right foot and despite my best efforts ended up sitting in the mud.

If you duck hunt you know what that mud smelled like. I was covered in it. That was the first decoy that I ever 'lost.'

Fast forward to 2006. I moved to Billings and was fortunate to meet a co-worker that had the same passion for hunting as I. That first year in Billings I hunted pheasants in North Dakota and spent nearly 60 days in the field. Most of my time was spent hunting ducks and geese on the Yellowstone river. We also did a fair amount of goose hunting in Hysham.

In 2007 I purchased my first hunting dog. Gunnr is a 3 year old Pudelpointer out of the Cedarwood's kennel in Boise Idaho. Now I don't need to risk drowning to retrieve my birds! I recently purchased another pup from Boise. Coopr is out of Sage Points kennel and is from similar lines as Gunnr. The Pudelpointer is a versatile dog that points in the uplands and retrieves waterfowl. My friends and I start hunting in September in the uplands and finish the season in the fields in the Billings area hunting ducks and geese.

I've rambled a bit here. What else would you expect from a retail manager the week of Thanksgiving? Anyhow..I'm happy to have found this site and look forward to hearing from all of you fellow MT hunters.
YHCPrez
hunter

Postby BADLAND_FOWLER » Mon Jan 17, 2011 7:10 pm

Hey everyone. My name is Randy, im 25, and I live north of Sidney about 10 miles in the small border town of Fairview. I'm been in MT now for 4 years. Lived in northern Wisconsin most of my life before coming out here. I dont get to duck hunt much out this way much because as much fun as it have outdoors, duck hunting is much more fun with a partner. Growing up 25 feet from the banks of the Wisconsin River I've been pretty spoiled as far as waterfowling goes and dont have a lot of experience field hunting. Other than waterfowling, I hunt everything that i can get a liscense or a tag for after the drawings go down and try to stay busy hunting so i can escape from my job for at least a few weeks of the year. Shoot me a line if anyone wants to shoot prairie dogs of coyotes or anything when the weather gets nice out and maybe we can work something out on some ducks in the fall. :beer:
From snow to mud, welcome to Eastern Montana.
BADLAND_FOWLER
hunter

Postby blakloks » Sun Apr 03, 2011 2:01 pm

I have been reading this thread with great intrest. Im not even from montana im from Scotland( the better half of th UK) Im seriously considering trying to emigrate to somwhere in the US or canada due to the lack of joiners needed in the town i stay britains pretty much on it knees just now!! What is the shooting like in montana do you get ducks and geese?? Trying to find anything out is pretty hard. I take it you guys have public shooting below high water marks etc. over here our shooting is free along the foreshore as Scotland has a right to roam act for the foreshore but the inland shooting is all tied up by guides. Anyway hope you dont mind a curious Scotsman highjacking this thread!!!
blakloks
hunter

Postby Troutslayer » Fri Jul 15, 2011 12:08 am

blakloks wrote:...im from Scotland( the better half of th UK) Im seriously considering trying to emigrate to somwhere in the US or canada due to the lack of joiners needed in the town i stay britains pretty much on it knees just now!!!

I do not know what a joiner is. If you do wish to emigrate, the entrance to our country is on our southern border through the neighboring country called Mexico.
Troutslayer
hunter

Postby darcher » Wed Sep 07, 2011 9:23 pm

I am David Archer, a retired teacher from Florence, Montana, who just returned to my home after a ten year hiatus in California and Oregon. I will be hunting the first week of the season on Klamath Lake, as I have to return to my (unsold) home there and pick up my duck boats. I wrote a comment on sculling last season and built a scull boat, but one week into the season my second shoulder operation failed and I was out for the season. The third operation doesn't seem to be all that successful either, but I will be out there busting any duck that comes into my spread, that is if it is both slow, cross-eyed and disoriented. I have built an aluminum duck boat, a layout boat and a scull boat so I look forward to checking out my old haunts in Montana.

I hunt alone, and the cost of fuel will be a problem for me. If you are in the Missoula area and want to share fuel expenses, I've got a good boat with a Mud Buddy and a fairly good retriever named Buddy. Give me a call at 406-273-4268.

I am eager to try sculling again, even if I will be very slow. Last season I went out with my friend in the layout boats that we built. My arm was in a sling so I couldn't shoot, but I was really impressed with the layout boat I designed and built, which is similar to the Mighty Layout Boys' boats. I can't wait for the season to start. Wish the Flathead Res. regulations didn't limit outboards to 15 hp on the Flathead. My Mud Buddy is 25hp. The opener isn't that far off, and I am still doing renter repairs in my garage and house having rented it for ten years. My wife also knows that there will be a work shut-down and general strike--soon! Have a good season everyone.
darcher
hunter

Postby Lawdog » Thu Sep 08, 2011 8:42 am

Welcome. Good luck on your season and with the shoulder.
Rest in Peace, Ryder. Boy, you went before your time, in the start of your prime. You were loyal and are missed.

~ 4 March 2013.
Lawdog
State Moderator

Postby MTDUCKS » Wed Oct 12, 2011 2:36 pm

Hi, I'm Dylan Davis, I moved to Helena from Iowa for work. I work as a service advisor at the Chevrolet of Helena. I'm looking forward to some duck hunting here in Montana, just need to get out and find some areas to hunt! Looks like there are plenty!
MTDUCKS
hunter

Postby njones125 » Sat Oct 15, 2011 8:42 pm

Hey guys, my name is Nick Jones I am 23 and live in bozeman. I grew up in Anaconda and moved to bozeman a couple of years ago. I work as a union electrician. I do most of my duck hunting back home but have found a couple spots around bozo that look to be somewhat promising. I have spent the last year and a half training my two yellow labs for waterfowl hunting, so I have started to devote more time to duck/goose hunting and trying to fill the elk tag early in archery season. (Didnt work out for me this year) I dont know very many people in Bozeman that duck hunt so if anyone would want to get together and go out i would be more than happy to meet up with you. I have about 3 dozen mallard dekes and will take one dog or the other depending on the kind of hunt I do. Good luck to all this season.
njones125
hunter

Postby njonesy_07 » Sat Oct 22, 2011 11:34 pm

njones125 wrote:Hey guys, my name is Nick Jones I am 23....

Hey Nick. Welcome. My name is Nate Jones and I am 20 :lol3:
Jonesy
njonesy_07
State Moderator

Postby phutch30 » Mon Oct 24, 2011 7:25 am

Great! Now theres two of them
phutch30
hunter

PreviousNext

Return to Montana Duck Hunting