question from an out of stater

A place to share stories, tips and reports on Nebraska duck hunting.

Moderators: gotduck68415, k9horseluvr, Duck Runner

question from an out of stater

Postby HuntsCTRiver » Sat Sep 15, 2012 8:14 pm

Hey Guys,
My buddy and I are planning a trip to the midwest and after looking at ND, SD, MO, and NE, we thought Nebraska would be the place to try and do a freelance hunt. We are not looking for honey holes or anything because we really do enjoy scouting and making it happen for ourselves. My question is when would be the best time of year to come out there? Also what region of the state would be best? (access to property and hopefully low hunter population :biggrin: ) We would like to hunt fields or small potholes since we don't really want to bring a boat.
Thanks for any input.
-Chad
HuntsCTRiver
hunter

Re: question from an out of stater

Postby husker_hunter » Sun Sep 16, 2012 7:09 pm

I would go with the prairie pothole region in the southeastern/central portion of the state before the freeze hits, lots of public ground but I would wait for another year. This year has been so dry that the basins are almost bone dry and the games and parks aren't pumping water to to irrigation shortages.

Another option would be to target the large recreational lakes like Big Mac and or Harlan County Res. and target feeding birds using the lakes as roosting points.

Good luck to you
husker_hunter
hunter

Postby HuntsCTRiver » Sun Sep 16, 2012 8:34 pm

Thanks, we are not going until 2013 but I want to get started on researching where and what time.
HuntsCTRiver
hunter

Postby sharris » Mon Sep 24, 2012 11:41 am

Without a boat you are probably going to want to target the rainwater basin. If I had to pick a time to recommend, I'd say come during deer rifle season in November since you'll have less competition for the ducks. Normally, the basin freezes towards the end of November. But as HH said, check the water conditions. This year everything is dry. If you have a boat there are a lot more possibilities and more open water.
HR Annie Git Your Gun
Bird Retrieves for 2014-15 Season
Duck: 24
Geese: 1
Dove: 4
Pheasant: 42
sharris
hunter

Postby HuntsCTRiver » Tue Sep 25, 2012 10:59 pm

Thanks for the help. 2 more questions. Is field hunting of ducks/geese out there a possiblity or a waste of time? The other question I have is, how hard is it to gain access to private property? Around here you just knock on the landowners door and ask. Am I going to offend people by knocking on doors?
HuntsCTRiver
hunter

Postby sharris » Wed Sep 26, 2012 6:52 pm

I can't answer either of those questions. I have never field hunted for waterfowl, instead I just scout and find open water. There is enough public land that I haven't had to find private land.
HR Annie Git Your Gun
Bird Retrieves for 2014-15 Season
Duck: 24
Geese: 1
Dove: 4
Pheasant: 42
sharris
hunter

Postby YouMadBra » Mon Oct 08, 2012 9:21 pm

If you can find out who owns the land and can get a hold of them I believe most guys will be willing. Your going to have a little competition with livestock in some areas where they pasture corn stalks for cattle. But yes, its awesome hunting in the fields for ducks and geese. I'd say come either during deer rifle season in the middle of November or the end of November/ beginning of December.
TD Outfitters
Central, NE

Why cant it be Waterfowl season all year long?!!
YouMadBra
hunter

Return to Nebraska Duck Hunting