Looking for Lease

A place to share stories, tips and reports on Nebraska duck hunting.

Moderators: gotduck68415, k9horseluvr, Duck Runner

Looking for Lease

Postby newtoarea » Sat Jan 19, 2013 2:58 pm

I'm new to the elkhorn area and looking for a place to lease around the fremont, valley, waterloo, elkhorn areas for the 2013-14 season. Any help is very much appreciated. PM me is probably easiest. Thanks Guys
newtoarea
Newb

Re: Looking for Lease

Postby goosepit2007 » Sun Aug 18, 2013 11:06 pm

just go ask the farmers they usually let you hunt.
goosepit2007
hunter

Postby sws002 » Tue Aug 27, 2013 9:45 pm

goosepit2007 wrote:just go ask the farmers they usually let you hunt.

You must be kidding? If you aren't leasing, you aren't hunting around Omaha. VERY few farmers will allow you to hunt within about an hours drive of Omaha.
sws002
hunter

Postby B.E.Nelli » Tue Aug 27, 2013 11:20 pm

sws002 wrote:
goosepit2007 wrote:just go ask the farmers they usually let you hunt.

You must be kidding? If you aren't leasing, you aren't hunting around Omaha. VERY few farmers will allow you to hunt within about an hours drive of Omaha.

Not true at all, just gotta learn to take a few no's with the yesses. I have got permission on 4 different farms within 20 min of Bellevue and knocked on maybe a dozen doors. Just gotta know how to talk to people. People looove having someone to talk to, especially anyone over the age of 60.
B.E.Nelli
hunter

Postby Omaha Clucker » Wed Aug 28, 2013 9:43 am

I think part of the problem is so many people hear about leases on forums like this or on tv and then go knocking on doors and lead with that. That land owner might have let you hunt for free but they're smart, why turn down the money. What's worse is how that snowballs in an area. When Farmer Ted tells Farmer Bill down at the coffee shop somebody paid him to try to shoot some geese, of course Bill is going to want in on the action. Now the guy that's been hunting Bill's farm for years for the cost of a couple birds and some face time in the offseason has to start paying or he's out of luck. Hunting in general and especially waterfowling is getting expensive enough as it is without having to pay someone for the chance to shoot something they most likely want gone anyway. Sorry, I just hate when I hear lease, I'll get off my soapbox. Good luck finding a spot, hopefully for free
Omaha Clucker
hunter

Postby sws002 » Wed Aug 28, 2013 10:42 am

Omaha Clucker wrote:I think part of the problem is so many people hear about leases on forums like this or on tv and then go knocking on doors and lead with that. That land owner might have let you hunt for free but they're smart, why turn down the money. What's worse is how that snowballs in an area. When Farmer Ted tells Farmer Bill down at the coffee shop somebody paid him to try to shoot some geese, of course Bill is going to want in on the action. Now the guy that's been hunting Bill's farm for years for the cost of a couple birds and some face time in the offseason has to start paying or he's out of luck. Hunting in general and especially waterfowling is getting expensive enough as it is without having to pay someone for the chance to shoot something they most likely want gone anyway. Sorry, I just hate when I hear lease, I'll get off my soapbox. Good luck finding a spot, hopefully for free

Buddy of mine spent an entire weekend driving from Plattsmouth to Gretna a couple weekends back and hit every backroad and knocked on every door on the way, didn't get a single yes. I've done plenty of knocking myself, and I do have a few places to hunt, but yesses without leases are few and far between, especially for a guy new to the area (usually get a little bit of preference being from the area).
sws002
hunter

Postby Omaha Clucker » Wed Aug 28, 2013 10:54 am

In which case I blame Duck Dynasty for getting everyone involved :hammer:
Omaha Clucker
hunter

Postby B.E.Nelli » Wed Aug 28, 2013 4:42 pm

sws002 wrote:
Omaha Clucker wrote:I think part of the problem is so many people hear about leases on forums like this or on tv and then go knocking on doors and lead with that. That land owner might have let you hunt for free but they're smart, why turn down the money. What's worse is how that snowballs in an area. When Farmer Ted tells Farmer Bill down at the coffee shop somebody paid him to try to shoot some geese, of course Bill is going to want in on the action. Now the guy that's been hunting Bill's farm for years for the cost of a couple birds and some face time in the offseason has to start paying or he's out of luck. Hunting in general and especially waterfowling is getting expensive enough as it is without having to pay someone for the chance to shoot something they most likely want gone anyway. Sorry, I just hate when I hear lease, I'll get off my soapbox. Good luck finding a spot, hopefully for free

Buddy of mine spent an entire weekend driving from Plattsmouth to Gretna a couple weekends back and hit every backroad and knocked on every door on the way, didn't get a single yes. I've done plenty of knocking myself, and I do have a few places to hunt, but yesses without leases are few and far between, especially for a guy new to the area (usually get a little bit of preference being from the area).

It helps being in uniform after work too. Farmers are pretty patriotic. ;-)
B.E.Nelli
hunter

Postby sws002 » Wed Aug 28, 2013 9:00 pm

B.E.Nelli wrote:
sws002 wrote:

Not sure if he was in uniform, but he is military.
sws002
hunter

Postby B.E.Nelli » Wed Aug 28, 2013 9:51 pm

sws002 wrote:
B.E.Nelli wrote:
sws002 wrote:

Not sure if he was in uniform, but he is military.

So am I, that's why I said that. Haha
B.E.Nelli
hunter

Postby sws002 » Wed Aug 28, 2013 9:54 pm

B.E.Nelli wrote:So am I, that's why I said that. Haha

Ya, that's how we landed a few of the fields we do have, one of the guys in our group just got back from Afghanistan. For most guys though, you'll burn a lot of gas and get turned down a lot. There are a few guys out there who will let you hunt, just gotta find em.
sws002
hunter

Postby Gamecock » Thu Aug 29, 2013 12:10 am

I'll be living by the no theory as soon as I get there. I've wanted to goose hunt ever since I got started water fowl hunting. I know so many fields here in AK that the lessers just stay on, but not one farmer was willing to grant permision. I just thanked them for there time and offer a gift basket of smoked salmon and was on my way. Maybe smoked salmon will be the ticket down there lol. I'll get my blues ready just in case ;)
Gamecock
hunter

Postby sws002 » Mon Sep 02, 2013 10:49 am

Gamecock wrote:I'll be living by the no theory as soon as I get there. I've wanted to goose hunt ever since I got started water fowl hunting. I know so many fields here in AK that the lessers just stay on, but not one farmer was willing to grant permision. I just thanked them for there time and offer a gift basket of smoked salmon and was on my way. Maybe smoked salmon will be the ticket down there lol. I'll get my blues ready just in case ;)

Send the salmon, I'll find the fields!
sws002
hunter

Postby Gamecock » Tue Sep 10, 2013 2:37 pm

Lol I'm bringing a 165 qrt cooler full of salmon fillets. You just say when this season and I'll make sure that there is plenty on the grill and smoker for you
Gamecock
hunter

Postby sws002 » Wed Sep 11, 2013 10:54 am

Gamecock wrote:Lol I'm bringing a 165 qrt cooler full of salmon fillets. You just say when this season and I'll make sure that there is plenty on the grill and smoker for you

Sounds awesome! When do you get here? My sister-in-law did an 8 week rotation in Anchorage for pharmacy school, I about sent her ass back when she didn't bring any salmon back.
sws002
hunter

Postby Gamecock » Sun Sep 15, 2013 11:02 pm

I leave here Oct 1st. Should be settled in there before the opener. Been duck hunting here for the past 2 weeks. My lab has about 40 or so retrieves this season so far. Been slow hunting here so far.
Gamecock
hunter

Return to Nebraska Duck Hunting