Waterfowl hunting near Hastings

A place to share stories, tips and reports on Nebraska duck hunting.

Moderators: k9horseluvr, Duck Runner, gotduck68415

Waterfowl hunting near Hastings

Postby Vids » Sun Jan 20, 2013 5:54 pm

Hey all, just wondering if anyone could give me some info on duck and goose hunting near Hastings. I am from Colorado, and we have relatives that own property about 15 miles SE of Hastings, near Fairfield. The property is 480 acres of farm fields, no water on them. I am considering heading there next fall for a waterfowl hunting trip, would this be a good area to go and should I expect to see birds? From what I see on the migration maps, the central flyway goes right through here.

My one concern is the lack of lakes or reservoirs near here, aside from one river nearby I don't see many areas that would hold waterfowl overnight. Also, that river is 3-4 miles away from the property, is that too far to expect birds to come in? I know in CO you are better off being closer to rivers.

Please let me know if you think I could get onto birds in this area, I know nothing about NE waterfowl hunting so I don't want to waste my time going there blind.

Thanks!
Vids
Newb

Re: Waterfowl hunting near Hastings

Postby YouMadBra » Thu Jan 24, 2013 2:46 pm

What River is near your place? There are ducks that fly around in this area. Ducks Unlimited has been doing a lot of work in this area the past couple years. So you would have some luck there depending on weather and water levels in the marshes in that area. Is this land you family owns farm ground or pasture ground? If its farm ground you might be able to dig a small pond and fill it with an irrigation well.
TD Outfitters
Central, NE

Why cant it be Waterfowl season all year long?!!
YouMadBra
hunter

Postby Vids » Thu Jan 24, 2013 2:54 pm

We are 3-4 miles straight west of Fairfield, and after speaking with the Game & Parks I believe it is one of the Blue Rivers. That is what they called it anyways.

Their property is all farm fields, I am assuming either milo or corn is what they plant just from past pheasant hunting trips to NE. My main thought was setting up in the farm field with goose and duck decoys, do you think that would work? We're game for either goose or duck. Game and Parks told me it is a good area, so I may give it a try next year.

It's not going to be worth my time to dig a small pond there, this is probably a trip I would make once a year if that.
Vids
Newb

Postby k.s. » Sun Jan 27, 2013 11:10 pm

On good wet years, that area is some of the best hunting in October. Years like this year was a little tougher, but if you found water, you found birds.
k.s.
hunter

Postby Tinner4 » Wed Feb 13, 2013 4:30 pm

Like k.s. said if there's water it's good. We live north of Hastings, hunted the marsh near Kenesaw last year, teal season was alright and had a couple good snow goose jumps there. They pump a few marshes when it's dry, would probably be a good idea to check into what marshes have water in the area when you head there.
Tinner4
hunter

Return to Nebraska Duck Hunting