Future Cornhusker

A place to share stories, tips and reports on Nebraska duck hunting.

Moderators: k9horseluvr, Duck Runner, gotduck68415

Future Cornhusker

Postby BEDB » Sun Mar 10, 2013 8:35 pm

Hey guys. I'm from Illinois and am going to be attending UNL next year going in as a sophomore. I've been searching on the Nebraska Game and Parks website quite a bit and was wondering what gear I should plan on bringing out. I have a sister who has an apartment in Lincoln where I can store some gear but not a lot. Should I bring the boat out or is it mostly field hunting? Thanks a lot.
Flocked Wear Field Staff
Bring 'em Down Boys Pro Staff
lock 'em n rock 'em
BEDB
hunter

Re: Future Cornhusker

Postby sharris » Thu Mar 14, 2013 12:05 pm

Nebraska is pretty diverse. You can boat hunt, field hunt, or wade into shallow wetlands. You can easily find a place to hunt either with or without a boat, but a boat does give you more options. Last year due to the drought the wetlands were dry which really limited a lot of areas. If you are considering public land hunting try to set up your fall class schedule so you can go on the weekdays. The weekends can be crazy if you plan on hunting in close proximity to Lincoln or Omaha. Go Big Red!
HR Annie Git Your Gun
Bird Retrieves for 2014-15 Season
Duck: 20
Dove: 4
sharris
hunter

Postby BEDB » Thu Mar 14, 2013 12:32 pm

Thanks. I'm planning to try and get either Mondays or Fridays or both off so I can go home a couple times during dove and duck season. If I'm lucky maybe I can set it up like last semester (Tuesdays and Thursdays).

BTW- I'm not from Chicago or the suburbs. Just wanted to clarify that.
Flocked Wear Field Staff
lock 'em n rock 'em
BEDB
hunter

Postby sharris » Thu Mar 14, 2013 12:51 pm

If you are into dove hunting there is actually a year round season in Nebraska for the Eurasian collared doves. They are considered an invasive species and you are allowed 15 birds/day. In case you haven't found it, here is something to help you out: http://outdoornebraska.ne.gov/hunting/p ... /atlas.asp
HR Annie Git Your Gun
Bird Retrieves for 2014-15 Season
Duck: 20
Dove: 4
sharris
hunter

Postby BEDB » Thu Mar 14, 2013 1:34 pm

Thanks a lot. I was looking at that earlier. I think I'm going to try and print it out and hopefully do some scouting when I come out for orientation.
Flocked Wear Field Staff
lock 'em n rock 'em
BEDB
hunter

Postby sws002 » Sun Mar 17, 2013 7:43 pm

Welcome to the Good Life brother! If you have a boat, bring it, there are plenty of good size state game areas surrounding Lincoln that you will be able to use them on. You will probably see quite a bit of pressure around Lincoln, so you will have to knock on a lot of doors if you don't want the pressure. Pray for a lot of rain and cold weather early.
sws002
hunter

Return to Nebraska Duck Hunting