Throw another log on the fire

A place to share stories, tips and reports on Nebraska duck hunting.

Moderators: k9horseluvr, Duck Runner, gotduck68415

Throw another log on the fire

Postby Kiskadinna » Wed Jan 17, 2007 9:26 pm

Hey everyone,
I've noticed things are a little slow around these parts lately, so I thought I would make a contribution. I have decided to offer up a chance at a lanyard to all of you who currently call Nebraska home.
My winter project has been making some for myself, and I've ended up with extra.

First, the goods:
Brown and Tan, Six-Drop lanyard. Handmade.

And a detail of the neck band....

Again, here's the deal. If you live in NE and wish to enter, just post up a note, maybe say how your season has gone. I will close this at 8 PM on Sunday, Jan 21. The winner will be drawn and announced early next week. I will then arrange to get this to the winner.
-Erik
Kiskadinna
Super Moderator

Postby Keith S. » Wed Jan 17, 2007 10:48 pm

Nice looking lanyard! :thumbsup:

As far as numbers go, this has been our best season ever, had alot of great hunts and introduced a couple rookies.
HRCH Gold Hunter Sadie

The only time I was wrong...was when I thought I was wrong!
Keith S.
hunter

Postby sandhiller » Thu Jan 18, 2007 8:08 am

Well our season was good. It seemed like family and work took a lot of time away from the blind but we still ended up with more birds than the previous season The difference apears to be that we had birds all season
the last week of duck season was slow for us and we were froze out for one weekend we haven't got our duck decoys back yet because of the wonderful weather latly but maybe this weekendwe will and i guess we will start to prepare for snows in march
Sandhiller
sandhiller
hunter

Postby slakline » Fri Jan 19, 2007 8:37 pm

Very Nice Lookin' Lanyard !!

Season started out really good on ducks with a few bonus geese.

Everything , I mean everything turned off for us right after the ice/snow storm hit.

Lookin' foward to upcoming snow goose season and then going after some Spring Turkeys along with some Walleye fishing.

Thanks for giving someone an opportunity to own a custom lanyard !!
slakline
hunter

Postby Benelli Slinger » Sat Jan 20, 2007 12:51 am

cool lanyard

season was good, hunted damn near every free day i had and made alot of great memories

had my dogs first season with well over 300 retrieves (not all mine of course)
Last edited by Benelli Slinger on Sat Jan 20, 2007 12:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Benelli Slinger
hunter

Postby Ducxprt » Sat Jan 20, 2007 9:13 am

Cool looking lanyard! :thumbsup:

We had a good season on the ducks with a total of 172 birds brought home this year. As for the geese I think I hunted them more thatn I ever have, and shot a new yearly number for myself, sofar to date I have baged 76 honkers, and still hope to get out to the western part of the state after we close up tomorow, so with some luck and the snow that is coming I hope to add to the numbers. But if not it is always great just to get out and spend some quality time with the guys.
TALK EM INTO GIVING UP
Ducxprt
hunter

And the winner is....

Postby Kiskadinna » Sun Jan 21, 2007 8:04 pm

Hey Everyone,
Thanks for posting - with this small of a group I wish I could make everyone a lanyard, but unfortauntely thats not a good way to go. I may just do this again to keep things interesting.
For now though, the winner has been drawn and it is Sandhiller - I had my wife do the drawing, so any issue can be taken up with her.
Thanks again, and good luck in March to anyone who goes out!
Erik

:salude:
Kiskadinna
Super Moderator

Postby marshmanjr » Sat Jan 27, 2007 12:03 pm

I know that the drawing is over but I thought I would let you know how we did. It was our best season ever and we got 295 ducks.
if at first you dont suceed ..... RELOAD!!!!!
marshmanjr
hunter

Postby redneckhunter » Sun Jan 28, 2007 8:55 pm

I wish I would have seen this thread sooner. I just started to try and make my own lanyard too. I am using a little different type of knot for the majority of it. What kind are you using for the neckband portion? I want to say the one I'm using is a box knot or square knot. I'm not sure cause someone just showed me how to do it. Does anyone have any directions or websites on making your own call lanyard?
redneckhunter
hunter

Postby redneckhunter » Sun Jan 28, 2007 8:58 pm

As far as my duck season went, I thought it went well. This was the first year I had my own dekes and hunted by myself the majority of the time. It gets harder once you get a job and live farther away from those you used to hunt with. Found a place about 20 minutes from my house/work so I was able to make it there after work. Got 4-5 each time I went out so I was happy. I'm still learning! Can't wait till my dog can go with me.
redneckhunter
hunter

Postby Kiskadinna » Mon Jan 29, 2007 9:24 am

For the neckband on this, I used what i know as a "square knot sinnet" - there is a pretty good description here http://www.knotingwork.com/Pages/knots/ ... nots5.html . Its pretty simple once you get the hang of it. I don't know a better way to create a fat neck band. Let me know how it goes ofr you. Right now, each one is taking me about 45 minutes, but I'm kind of a perfectionist sometimes.
-Erik
Kiskadinna
Super Moderator

Re-Draw.

Postby Kiskadinna » Fri Feb 02, 2007 11:24 am

I hate to do this, but I have had no response from Sandhiller, so I drew again. I am pleased to announce that the new winner is
Benelli Slinger. I have sent a PM - please contact me ASAP so I can send it to you.
:hammering: Done.
Hopefully I won't have to do this again. I do plan to make another available at a later date. IN the meantime, stay warm!
-Erik
Kiskadinna
Super Moderator

Postby leeman_07 » Wed Feb 28, 2007 10:47 pm

dang i wish i would of seen this post...that lanyard looks pretty cool...do u sell them?
a lee

Totals this year
ducks-135
doves-168
pheasants-26
Geese- 8
BANDS- 1
leeman_07
hunter

Postby Kiskadinna » Sun Mar 04, 2007 10:23 am

No, I haven't really thought about selling them - Maybe at some point but I still am playing with the design and whatnot. Still just a hobby. I may do another one of these again soon though, so check back!
-Erik
Kiskadinna
Super Moderator

Return to Nebraska Duck Hunting