Moving to Nebraska

A place to share stories, tips and reports on Nebraska duck hunting.

Moderators: Duck Runner, gotduck68415, k9horseluvr

Moving to Nebraska

Postby Misplaced Ducker » Mon Feb 26, 2007 2:55 pm

Hey Guys
I just found the site. I am moving to Nebraska the first of April for work. I am in construction and the company I work for is getting ready to do some work in Omaha.
I grew up in duck hunting in Missouri. The last 5 years I have been in Virginia. There aren't the ducks out here that there is back home.
Just wanted to say Hi. I figure it is going to be a long summer driving around getting the lay of the land and water. I've got all the equipment I need just don't have any where to hunt yet. Any info you guys have is greatly appreciated.
I look forward to moving back to the Midwest and meeting some of you.
Corey
Misplaced Ducker
hunter

Postby Kiskadinna » Mon Feb 26, 2007 3:35 pm

Welcome to DHC, glad to have you on board.
You'll find there are a few guys on here that are in your neck of the woods. I'm not too far away being in Lincoln, and would love to help you out. I moved here last year from MN, so I'm kind of in the same boat as you but there seem to be a fair amount of opportunities.
Take a look at the NGPC site for some basic information
http://www.ngpc.state.ne.us/hunting/gui ... erfowl.asp
then head on over here http://mapserver.ngpc.state.ne.us/websi ... viewer.htm tp start your scouting.

If I can be of any help, let me know!
-Erik
Kiskadinna
Super Moderator

Postby Keith S. » Tue Feb 27, 2007 1:00 am

There is some awesome public land out there, alot of public in the basins, which when it rains enough, can be incredible hunting. I hunt 99% public in the fall, just have to keep putting gas in the truck and find them.
HRCH Gold Hunter Sadie

The only time I was wrong...was when I thought I was wrong!
Keith S.
hunter

Postby gotduck68415 » Tue Feb 27, 2007 6:22 pm

:welcome: Ducker. Erik has it right, those web sites will help you greatly. If you want to drive 100 miles I would be more than happy to take you hunting. :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:
Dont shoot where they have been, shoot where they are going.
gotduck68415
Forum & State Moderator

Postby Ducxprt » Wed Feb 28, 2007 4:22 pm

if you ever whant to go just send me a PM, i am only about 30 min. away from omaha, in fremont. welcome to DHC.
TALK EM INTO GIVING UP
Ducxprt
hunter

Postby leeman_07 » Wed Feb 28, 2007 10:43 pm

hey...do any of you guys get on the spring snows around ur areas?
a lee

Totals this year
ducks-135
doves-168
pheasants-26
Geese- 8
BANDS- 1
leeman_07
hunter

Postby Misplaced Ducker » Thu Mar 01, 2007 11:05 am

Hey Guys thanks for the friendly welcome. I may take some of you up on your offers. I am just glad that I can move out there this early in the year so I am not moving in at the last moment.
I am hoping that Nebraska has more ducks that I have seen out here.
I am supposed to fly to Omaha and look at houses in the morning. My realtor just called me and they are expecting a foot of snow and 40 mph winds. That is the weather I have been looking for in Virginia for 5 years. Hopefully the airlines will let me get out there and see a little of it.
Thanks
MD
Misplaced Ducker
hunter

Postby Kiskadinna » Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:07 pm

Well, this morning the airport was still open in Omaha though every highway in and out was pretty much closed. I shouldnt think you'll have much trouble getting in, but then again the storm seemed to stall between Lincoln and Omaha and the wind is pretty nasty.
As someone who hasn't been here too long, I will say I have seen more fowl here than in MN where I came from - Especially geese. I definitely have a lot to learn yet, but that's what this spring and summer will be for.
Again, welcome!
-Erik
Kiskadinna
Super Moderator

Postby gotduck68415 » Thu Mar 01, 2007 4:07 pm

Down in my part of the state the snow is all melted and the lakes are sstill open. We got about 4 inches last night and now it is 40 degrees and the sun is shining. Hope you have a safe flight and enjoy Nebraska. :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:
gotduck68415
Forum & State Moderator

Postby Misplaced Ducker » Mon Mar 05, 2007 2:27 pm

Well Omaha was pretty snowed in on Friday. The main roads were ok but the subdivisions showed that the plow guys still had some work to do. By saturday morning you could go pretty well anywhere you wanted. I did get to look at the houses I had wanted to and actually bought one while I was there. Looks like I am going to be living in Gretna (just SW of Omaha). I liked the looks of that area.
I was watching the news on Saturday morning and they were talking about the sandhill cranes passing thru. I thought it was pretty cool that they talk about waterfowl on the network news.
I can't wait to get out of Virginia. Five years in this duck hunters hell is more than enough for me. Back to the land of 6 ducks a day.
I really liked the feel of Nebraska. The Midwest just has a different feel to it than the coast.
Later
Corey
Misplaced Ducker
hunter

Postby Kiskadinna » Mon Mar 05, 2007 3:23 pm

Glad to hear you had a good trip. Gretna seems like a nice location, close to the river, and the topography is real nice. I'm not too far from you in Lincoln, shoot me a PM when you get in, we can do some scouting together.
Like you say, things were looking pretty rough on Friday still, the wife and I went up to Omaha to check on Cabelass - saw 42 cars in the ditch along the way. Good people in NE for sure - again, glad you liked it.
-Erik
Kiskadinna
Super Moderator

Postby gotduck68415 » Mon Mar 05, 2007 6:01 pm

Congrats. :welcome: To Nebraska.
gotduck68415
Forum & State Moderator

Postby LABMAN2 » Tue Mar 27, 2007 5:04 pm

MP
Glad to see that your move will be an easy one from as you called it duck hunters hell. :help: And to tell you the truth he's not lying. No more blind rules, no more not hunting on Sunday and you might even get to shot at a duck :biggrin: . No really you will be missed here in VA . guys let me tell you Cory his a hell of a guy. I meet him about 5 years ago and am proud to call him my friend. you wont meet a nicer guy and a hell of a hunter. Best of luck buddy and give me a call when the mallards show up. Me and Reagan would love to fly out :thumbsup:
LABMAN2
LABMAN2
hunter

Postby Misplaced Ducker » Tue Apr 10, 2007 3:50 pm

Well I have finally arrived in Nebraska. Living in corporate apartments till we close on the house next week. Saw a few turkeys last night just south of Omaha. Nice big tom and about a dozen hens.
Thanks for the kind words Kenny. Your check is in the mail. : ) Luckily there is an extra room in the basement and you and Reagan are welcome anytime.
Later
Corey
Misplaced Ducker
hunter

Postby Kiskadinna » Tue Apr 10, 2007 5:00 pm

Welcome to Nebraska!
Offer still stands if you're up for some scouting this summer.
-Erik
Kiskadinna
Super Moderator

Postby Misplaced Ducker » Wed Apr 11, 2007 11:22 am

Erik
Thanks for the welcome. Once I get moved into the house and settled in I am planning on taking you up on your offer to do some scouting together. Thanks
Corey
Misplaced Ducker
hunter

Postby Ducxprt » Wed Apr 11, 2007 5:45 pm

:welcome: I hope you find that inspite of our constantly rising taxes, and never ending construction that Nebraska realy is a good place to live, and the hunting is almost second to none. Once again :welcome:
TALK EM INTO GIVING UP
Ducxprt
hunter

Postby LABMAN2 » Mon Apr 16, 2007 5:33 pm

:thumbsup: anytime buddy
LABMAN2
hunter

Postby Misplaced Ducker » Tue Apr 17, 2007 11:48 am

Hey Ducxprt thanks for the welcome. Nebraska has nothing on Virginia for generally just being a huge pain in the butt. It is great to be back in the Midwest again after growing up in Missouri. Nebraska just has the feeling of home.
I get to close on my house this afternoon and the movers are delivering all of my things on Thursday so it should a busy week.
Later
Corey
Misplaced Ducker
hunter

Postby LABMAN2 » Tue Apr 17, 2007 7:45 pm

Misplaced Ducker wrote:Hey Ducxprt thanks for the welcome. Nebraska has nothing on Virginia for generally just being a huge pain in the butt. It is great to be back in the Midwest again after growing up in Missouri. Nebraska just has the feeling of home.
I get to close on my house this afternoon and the movers are delivering all of my things on Thursday so it should a busy week.
Later
Corey

ya we miss you to :wink:
LABMAN2
hunter

Postby cinnamonteal7 » Sun Apr 22, 2007 9:09 am

last time i checked the hunting was damn good well any way welcome pm me if you want to shoot some woodies.
miss him once shame on me, miss him twice on me agian, miss him three times damit! reload and watch where that SOB lands this isnt over.
cinnamonteal7
hunter

Return to Nebraska Duck Hunting