mallards

A place to share stories, tips and reports on Nebraska duck hunting.

Moderators: Duck Runner, gotduck68415, k9horseluvr

mallards

Postby tjkellyc4 » Tue Oct 02, 2007 8:14 am

anyone been seeing any mallards in the north platte area yet??
tjkellyc4
hunter

Postby gotduck68415 » Tue Oct 02, 2007 5:17 pm

I dont live in the North Platte area, but in my area Ive seen some. I saw them the Mid of Sept. I think they were local birds. :thumbsup:
Dont shoot where they have been, shoot where they are going.
gotduck68415
Forum & State Moderator

Postby Benelli Slinger » Thu Oct 18, 2007 12:06 am

a few, not many, its been rough for me all season. by this time last year my group had shot 40+ birds. this year its 12.
Benelli Slinger
hunter

mallards

Postby Todd_NE » Thu Oct 18, 2007 8:52 am

I saw three flocks of 150 or so a few weeks ago scouting a few lakes in NE Nebraska. But I haven't got out yet, was planning to and it fell through then went fishing lol.

I was in Canada last week and they were complaining in Manitoba that the "northern" birds weren't in yet.

The guys were hammering them in Netley Marsh most days, but not everyday.

We did see a lot more waterfowl along I-29 coming home than going up. We even saw a moose running along the Interstate in North Dakota. Only the 3rd moose I've ever seen.
Vegetarian - old Indian word for poor outdoorsman
Todd_NE
hunter

Postby gotduck68415 » Thu Oct 18, 2007 4:14 pm

You hunting in Canada Todd? If so what were you hunting?
gotduck68415
Forum & State Moderator

Manitoba

Postby Todd_NE » Fri Oct 19, 2007 12:56 pm

I was up there fishing, I love big walleye.

Some acquaintances from Wisconsin were giving me the reports everyday at noon when they'd put up the shotguns and come out to fish. An aside, they mentioned you can now bring in 3 shotguns for $25, the rules just changed. I have NOT verified this though.

I did not think there were as many geese around Winnipeg as normal for this time of year. Their first frost was just this past Saturday, October 13 believe it or not. The rivers were running 53 degrees yet though they were 50 ish the morning I left.

Much like the states, in the mid 90's I'd actually have farmers up there ask me to come hunt. Now everything is getting leased up from what I'm told but the hunters I meet up there. Most have adjusted by "gifting" their farm hosts more substanially to maintain fields and marsh accesses.
Vegetarian - old Indian word for poor outdoorsman
Todd_NE
hunter

Postby ohsay » Fri Oct 19, 2007 11:00 pm

I didn't get my first all greenhead limit until the second day of the season. Mostly local mallards around North Platte still. There does seem to be a lot more woodies than normal though. Best action has been on farm ponds/creeks just east and north of the river - like from the airport back to to town within a mile north of the river.
say what?
ohsay
hunter

Postby gotduck68415 » Sun Oct 21, 2007 8:35 pm

Went out this morning and I didnt even see a greenhead. I got 2 woodies, 4 gadwalls, and 3 Canadas. I guess if I can do that every day I dont care if I kill any mallards. :thumbsup: We also got 7 coots (good target pratice and good pratice for my young pup)
gotduck68415
Forum & State Moderator

Return to Nebraska Duck Hunting