considering moving to nebraska

A place to share stories, tips and reports on Nebraska duck hunting.

Moderators: Duck Runner, gotduck68415, k9horseluvr

considering moving to nebraska

Postby jon mcgrath » Fri Jan 04, 2008 10:47 am

Hey Guys
I just found the site. I am thinking about moving to Nebraska after my enlistment with the air force is done. I would like to stay near offutt afb so that i can be reasonably close for my healthcare benefits.
I grew up in duck hunting in northeast ohio. not the best duck hunting but i got the job done. The last 4 years I have been in alaska and then this past april i moved to minot north dakota. There are alot of birds here but my soon to be wifes family is all from nebraska and she wants to be closer to her family and i was just wondering how the hunting was around the offutt afb area?.
Just wanted to say Hi. I know i'm gonna have to spend alot of time driving around getting to know the area. i have all the equipment to go shoot some ducks. any advice you guys give me will be greatly appreciated.
thanks

jon
jon mcgrath
hunter

Postby Kiskadinna » Fri Jan 04, 2008 11:02 am

Being somewhat of a noob myself to NE, I have to say the hunting is VERY good for ducks and pheasants. I came from MN originally, and the opportunities in this flyway are quite a bit better. As far as hunting around Offutt specifically, I have little experience, but there's good hunting to be had in the Rainwater Basins a ways west, as well as along the Platte River - and thats just ont he eastern side of the state.
From what you say, I would think moving here is a good decision. drop a line anytime if you have questions.
-Erik
Kiskadinna
Super Moderator

Postby jon mcgrath » Fri Jan 04, 2008 11:46 am

thanks for the advice. it's not a big deal if i dont live near offutt. but it would be nice. what really matters is if i can do some duck hunting with not a whole lot of pressure. i'm kinda looking for that small town that's not too far away from a decent sized town. does anyone know of any towns like that? thanks again for the advice

jon
jon mcgrath
hunter

Postby cjlarose » Fri Jan 04, 2008 10:30 pm

:thumbsup:
I have been hunting Nebraska for 6 years, considered moving out there 3 years ago. We decided to stay put until my daughter graduates in about 10 years.

As far as places to hunt...I know when I was looking for employment in Kearney, North Platte, and Grand Island I saw a number of ad's in local papers for lease options. I don't know if you considered that or not. Leases have their pro's and con's. The biggest I see with mine is if the birds don't want to be there I am kinda of out of luck.

I don't know to much about public hunting areas or pressure in Nebraksa. I am sure as any state early season pressure is greater then later season.

Good luck, wish you the best. I would have to agree with Erik on ducks--- :thumbsup:
Bring em in!!!
cjlarose
hunter

Postby k9horseluvr » Fri Jan 04, 2008 11:19 pm

Kearney is a great town and is about 3 hours from Omaha. It is big enough that it has everything you need (Wal-Mart, Menards, Cabelas, Mall, plenty of restaurants) but yet it has a nice small town atmosphere about it. I live North about 35 miles (well, I'm back in VA for the Navy but my wife is still there). It would put you right in some of the best waterfowlin in the state. It's right on the Platte with plenty of ponds and fields around for hunting. South of kearney is a ton of Waterfowl Production Areas. Good Luck and NE is a great state to live in.
And any man who may be asked in this century what he did to make his life worthwhile, I think can respond with a good deal of pride and satisfaction:
"I served in the United States Navy"
-JFK
k9horseluvr
Forum Moderator

Postby jon mcgrath » Sat Jan 05, 2008 12:38 pm

thanks again for the tips guys. my enlistment isnt up for a couple of years but my plan is to pick a couple areas that interest me and then go down there in the fall and hunt them to see what i like most. cuz i dont care where i move i just wanna be able to duck hunt. and my fiancee' said that was fine so i guess it'll all depend on how the hunting goes.
thanks again

jon
jon mcgrath
hunter

Postby jon mcgrath » Wed Aug 27, 2008 8:52 pm

sorry to bring back an old topic but i couldnt resist.

if you guys had to choose to live in the northern, southern, eastern or western part of the state which would you choose? another question. do you guys deal with alot of land being leased up by private outfitters where you live? is land access normally pretty easy to come by as long as you are nice and courteous? i'm sorry for the dumb brain questions. i just wanna have all my ducks in a row before i pack everything up and leave and be stuck somewhere i'm not happy at.
thanks,
jon
jon mcgrath
hunter

Postby Duck Runner » Wed Aug 27, 2008 10:45 pm

Where you want to live depends on what you prefer as far as number of people vs. opportunities. If you live in Western NE you have a long way to go to get to Lincoln/Omaha for state events but you get the wide open spaces. If you take Eastern NE you have lots of people, lots of opportunities (I use 'lots' loosely obviously) and you're still in NE. :thumbsup: I prefer Kearney because I can go either direction - I can get away from everyone, or I can spend a weekend in 'the city' if I want something else.

Either way you look at it, it's Nebraska! :biggrin:

You really won't deal with too much lease land unless you are on the rivers - I don't hunt any lease land. Most folks are very nice and let you hunt their land as long as you are a good steward to their property. Just making a few connections will get you started.

What is your ETA?
Duck Runner
State Moderator

Postby waterfowler81 » Thu Aug 28, 2008 4:03 am

Personally, I would prefer western NE.
waterfowler81
hunter

Postby honkerdowner » Thu Aug 28, 2008 7:37 am

I think about any where in central nebraska you have a wide range of CRP, waterfowl production which also produces good numbers of pheasants. If you like to fish we have several lakes that won't be a waste of time to check out. With in reasonable driving distance. I don't know much about the armed forces but we have a VA hosiptal in Grand Island and i think one in Hastings. What do you do for a living also. That may have a factor on where you move to. I might know of a couple jobs around the area also. :yes: I am glad to see someone so interested in the state. :welcome: If you need anything PM me and maybe we can get something figured out.
Matt
Butt, Belly, Bill, BOOM!!!
honkerdowner
hunter

Postby jon mcgrath » Thu Aug 28, 2008 12:14 pm

thank you guys for your responses. i still have a few years to go but i just wanna do my homework before i make the plunge and pick everything up and move. i was leaning towards the central part of the state. i want to live in the country but still have the option to be close to a city if i need something. iwas planning on buying around 5 acres of land to put my house on and i will have a bass pond in my backyard. my wife doesnt know this yet though haha. i still need to decide about employment. with my retirement pension coming i'll be pulling around $1700 a month. i need to find a job that will pay me about $1500 a month for me to live comfortably. i want a mon-fri job, with preferably a 9-5 day. i've worked very hard in the military and it's time for me to relax and un-wind a bit. what are some of the employment opportunities in the central part of the state? again, i thank you guys for all your input and i really am excited about moving to nebraska. i can hardly wait.
jon mcgrath
hunter

Return to Nebraska Duck Hunting