Nebraska question

A place to share stories, tips and reports on Nebraska duck hunting.

Moderators: gotduck68415, k9horseluvr, Duck Runner

Nebraska question

Postby filter » Fri Feb 29, 2008 12:37 pm

i am thinking about getting off the East Coast here in North Carolina and moving back to the Midwest, i lived in Minnesota for 15 years, but that is way to cold for my wife, the Schools Suck here
i have a 2 year old and a 3 month old and want them to go to good schools,i wanted to know how are the Schools in Nebraska? and how is the Hunting in General, like upland, trukey, ducks and Deer?
I want my boys to grow up hunting fishing and just being in the outdoors, and also my wife loves to hunt just like me
Thanks Lenny
filter
hunter

Postby Kiskadinna » Fri Feb 29, 2008 1:02 pm

Finally a NE question I feel qualified to answer. I moved here from MN two and a half years ago.

Generally the schools here seem very good. I currently live in Lincoln and work with school administrators and teachers regularly - while I cannot speak for other districts, it seems education here and within the rest of the state is very good.
Upland hunting is very good - while the landscape is different than in MN as far as public land is concerned, there is plenty of CRP land and some good SRAs for upland.
From the folks I know that hunt turkeys it is a growing portion of NE sporting - people are very happy with turkey here as far as I can tell - but I haven't fallen for turkey hunting YET.
They say there are a lot of deer here - I still hunt deer primarily in MN, but there is quality hunting here.
Ducks and Geese is some of the best in the country per my perception - Still have good days and bad days, but the bird numbers are greater than I ever experienced in Central MN.
I've been disappointed with the fishing here, but I am sure that if I brought my boat down or committed more time to it I could be happy - locally there are some nice lakes, but let's face it - I'm a bit spoiled on the lake side of things.
Temp wise, it still gets near as cold here as in MN (maybe not I-falls or the border region) but the winter is obviously a bit shorter and milder. The summer growing season ends up being about a month longer here than in even the Minneapolis area of MN.
Bottom line, Nebraskans are some of the nicest people I have met in this country.
Drop a line if you have any questions.
-Erik
Kiskadinna
Super Moderator

Postby filter » Fri Feb 29, 2008 1:19 pm

Thanks for the info, i am lived in Wabasha Mn Area for 15 years
and i miss the winter some what
filter
hunter

Postby k9horseluvr » Fri Feb 29, 2008 8:05 pm

I might be a little biased but I think NE is great! I grew up there and just spent the last 4 years recruiting there. When I retire from the Navy it will be back to NE for good! Looking forward to that day.
I grew up doing alot of upland and deer hunting. Jump shot alot of ducks but never really got into it until a couple of years ago. Like Kiskadinna said...some of the best waterfowl hunting in the country. Of course, some areas of NE are better than others. I've attached a deer pic to give you an idea of the type of deer we grow in NE. Turkey are very plentiful in NE! There weren't too many when I was younger but they've erupted in numbers over the last 10-15 years. Where I hunt them....a flock of about 500 birds scattered over about 100 acres. They feed in the fields around but roost and hang out in the 100 acres of creek bottom and woods. If you are looking for a diversity of hunting opportunities...look no further, pheasant, quail, grouse, ducks, geese, deer, turkey, antelope, elk, etc......
The people are great and welcome "outsiders" with open arms. My best friend is actually from the Twin Cities area and has lived in NE since '92 and loves it! Don't mean to go on......but it is a great place to live!! I also attached a photo of my son's first 2 turkey. These are not big by any means but I was proud as punch and so was he!! :yes:
And any man who may be asked in this century what he did to make his life worthwhile, I think can respond with a good deal of pride and satisfaction:
"I served in the United States Navy"
-JFK
k9horseluvr
Forum Moderator

Return to Nebraska Duck Hunting