Duck Hunting Forum banner

Best Time...???

2K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  Todd_NE 
#1 ·
I've found a couple spots out in the sandhills around Highway 20 that I want to hunt a few times this fall.

If I was going to schedule a long weekend to go out and hunt, anybody got any suggestions on when would be the best time. (I know it all depends on weather, but if you had to pick this far ahead of time to get vacation, when would you bet on.)

#2 ·
I have had great days around halloween for both ducks and geese and have not killed much til thanksgiving. This year already is different. So a time hard to same. I know thats what you already know. What time of the year do you like to hunt better, what time works better for you, where in the sandhills (how far north), seasons dates might come into play, are you going for a mix bag hunt ect. give us a little more info and maybe we'll be able to help a lil more.

#3 ·
Well.....I'm looking at an around around Ainsworth (along Hwy 20) in the northern part of the state.

Looking for mostly ducks (hopefully mainly Mallards), but wouldn't hesitate to get into geese or any other ducks if they are around.

I'm going to go out early in the year for just a regular weekend to get a better idea about what's up out there, but was thinking maybe early November (that way I could hit the pheasants too if I get done early, or there's nothing there, but ducks is my main focus)....but was just looking for more input.

#4 ·
That's pretty hard to predict.

I hunt NE Nebraska mainly, small lakes, Elkhorn River, etc. It seems that usually about the 2/3 wknd of November is when we get the big push of ducks anymore. I think that unfortunately for all of us the ducks cling to the Missouri River, ND/SD potholes as long as they can.

There are resident populations and right now SD is loaded wherever there is water, I was just up to Pierre and it's spectacular. There are 3 acre lakes with 200 ducks on them.

It's just anybody's guess. Heck, it was 39 here last night but we're colder than Winnipeg. Go figure.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.