well that sucked

A place to share stories, tips and reports on Nebraska duck hunting.

Moderators: gotduck68415, k9horseluvr, Duck Runner

well that sucked

Postby TEAM WEBFOOTPOSSE » Sat Oct 11, 2008 12:09 pm

just got back from a hunt on the loup river group pulled up missed teal then we pulled up on a big flock of woodies and knocked down three but the current was so fast we could only get one of em so opening day this year has been a barn burner
waterfowler20 wrote:
getemducks wrote:I am new to this but I think what you have there is a duck. :huh:

Are you crazy! That ain't no duck, thats one of'dem cackler gooses! :hi:
TEAM WEBFOOTPOSSE
hunter

Postby waterfowler81 » Sat Oct 11, 2008 5:27 pm

Well, I had to work today, so at least you got out.
waterfowler81
hunter

Postby slakline » Sat Oct 11, 2008 6:29 pm

Man ...I've got to say losing 2 out of 3 woodies is a real heartbreaker. A waste in my book. You've got to set up in a way that you are able to recover those downed birds. Dog or no dog we now, based on similar experiences to yours, always position ourselves or someone to recover down birds in a river. That's your responsiblity to recover those birds. Obviously, you probably already know that those birds count toward your daily bag limit, but that doesn't make it an acceptable loss. We've gone as far as bringing with us a landing net used in fishing with a long collapsable pole to recover birds in fast moving currents.
I'm not chewing you out on this...just cluing you in on what we do to increase our retrieves. We still ocassionally lose a bird(maybe 2 or 3 a season) to cover or sailing, but we always give it our best effort to plan our retrievals according the environmental situation.
Your experience is a learning one, that hopefully you prepare for in the future. Especially, if that bird is wearing a band. :eek:
slakline
hunter

Postby Ducxprt » Sat Oct 11, 2008 6:35 pm

Man that sucks!! I hate to rain on your parrade but I had a great opener!! My buddy and I had our limits by 10 am. A great mixed bag!! Teal, Gadwalls, Mallards, and Spoonies!!
TALK EM INTO GIVING UP
Ducxprt
hunter

Postby k9horseluvr » Sat Oct 11, 2008 7:02 pm

Sorry to hear about your opener Webfoot :sad: Slakline hit it on the nailhead though....you've got to position yourself to make those recoveries. Chalk it up to a learning experience and good luck the rest of the season.
Ducxprt...glad to hear you had a great hunt! :thumbsup: How about posting some pics??
K9
And any man who may be asked in this century what he did to make his life worthwhile, I think can respond with a good deal of pride and satisfaction:
"I served in the United States Navy"
-JFK
k9horseluvr
Forum Moderator

Postby Duck Runner » Sat Oct 11, 2008 7:20 pm

The key to recovering those birds in the river is to get on the high bank and run down river of them and then jump in. It's early in the season, the water is still warm, and feels darn good after you run a few hundred meters. I didn't get the name Duck Runner for no reason! :biggrin:

*If anyone observes this behavior while hunting on public land you will know who I am. :thumbsup:
Duck Runner
State Moderator

Postby TEAM WEBFOOTPOSSE » Sun Oct 12, 2008 9:40 am

well we went out again today and shot 3 woodies they hopped on the bank but the dog found em
waterfowler20 wrote:
getemducks wrote:I am new to this but I think what you have there is a duck. :huh:

TEAM WEBFOOTPOSSE
hunter

Postby TEAM WEBFOOTPOSSE » Sun Oct 12, 2008 1:53 pm

slakline wrote:Man ...I've got to say losing 2 out of 3 woodies is a real heartbreaker. A waste in my book. You've got to set up in a way that you are able to recover those downed birds. Dog or no dog we now, based on similar experiences to yours, always position ourselves or someone to recover down birds in a river. That's your responsiblity to recover those birds. Obviously, you probably already know that those birds count toward your daily bag limit, but that doesn't make it an acceptable loss. We've gone as far as bringing with us a landing net used in fishing with a long collapsable pole to recover birds in fast moving currents.
I'm not chewing you out on this...just cluing you in on what we do to increase our retrieves. We still ocassionally lose a bird(maybe 2 or 3 a season) to cover or sailing, but we always give it our best effort to plan our retrievals according the environmental situation.
Your experience is a learning one, that hopefully you prepare for in the future. Especially, if that bird is wearing a band. :eek:

yeah i am not a very good runner so i have to use my dog who could not go that morning i had a surgery which gives me a slight limp for a couple more months and its constantly in pain
waterfowler20 wrote:

TEAM WEBFOOTPOSSE
hunter

Postby njonesy_07 » Sun Oct 12, 2008 3:00 pm

Hope you do better today! haha I called you and you were in the blind....ssh.

I got 5 again today.
Jonesy
njonesy_07
State Moderator

Postby nek9handler » Tue Oct 14, 2008 6:09 am

Drooling here

Going to do the Iowa opener saturday and sunday.

Did not get to make the drive to your guys area I am the late season down here in plattsmouth

I get a later duck season though.

Usually on the MO to shoot some

Bill
BILL HAMILL
nek9handler
hunter

Return to Nebraska Duck Hunting