Any News?

Nevada’s wide open spaces provide great hunting opportunities. From Sprg to Snow Geese. Discuss here in the Nevada duck hunting forum.

Moderators: NV Guide, Old Duck Getter

Any News?

Postby Sagebrush » Tue Oct 18, 2005 8:01 pm

Does everyone in Nevada have eight broken fingers & their two thumbs in a cast ?? Geeeez....
Sagebrush
hunter

Postby DROPDUX » Wed Oct 19, 2005 12:45 pm

I have 3 thumbs. I didint go this weekend (vegas). I decided to stay home and watch the USC Notre Dame game. No amount of birds would have beat that game. Anyway, my group was at stillwater and didn't fair too well. One went to willow and limited the first morning. The others went somwhere on tule and shot thier camera more than their guns. I'll probably be headin up to pahranagat NWR this weekend. Its about 1 hr 20 min north of vegas.
DROPDUX
hunter

Postby Matt K » Wed Oct 19, 2005 6:37 pm

I just drove by Pahranagat today. There was really low cloud cover left over from this weeks rain, and ducks were everywhere on the lower (southern) lake. The upper lake was really low on water.
Matt K
hunter

Postby DROPDUX » Thu Oct 20, 2005 10:28 am

matt, have you ever hunted there. I plan on hunting that lower lake on saturday, but I have never gone there before.
DROPDUX
hunter

Postby DuckComander » Thu Oct 20, 2005 9:36 pm

i might go to Stillwater this weekend, anyone have good tips on where to go and how many decks you might need. I dont have a boat YET so ill be walking.
DuckComander
hunter

Postby DROPDUX » Fri Oct 21, 2005 9:39 am

Duck C,

Try north willow lake. You don't need a boat there. You can walk in from its landing, or go to Millen's landing and walk the channel northward. I only use about 12 dekes. You don't want to walk in with many more than that.

DD
DROPDUX
hunter

Postby DuckComander » Fri Oct 21, 2005 2:30 pm

How much water is in there??
DuckComander
hunter

Postby DROPDUX » Fri Oct 21, 2005 3:28 pm

compared to when? compared to last year the whole refuge has more water. Mid theigh (I'm only 5-9). The water is not much higher (only so much can fit in the lake), but it has become a little more vast with over flow.
DROPDUX
hunter

Postby DuckComander » Fri Oct 21, 2005 7:19 pm

ok becuase im like 5-10, was it hard to put out the decks?? and how did you set them up to where you were at? because im going out Sunday and i want BIRDS!! hahah
DuckComander
hunter

Postby Sagebrush » Fri Oct 21, 2005 11:13 pm

I was out at stillwater wensday. Willow had birds; however the main flight that day was over Tule & west Nutgrass; due to the south breeze? I set up in willow & later in South nutgrass. It seems the birds like the deck's at least 6feet apart and in small groups of 3-4. My large group of all 14 did nothing. They also had to be out 40 yards from shore!!
If they are closer they smell a "Trap"!.... Better use #2 or BB, these birds are really getting Up There! Never had a bird under 40 yards.
Sagebrush
hunter

Postby DuckComander » Fri Oct 21, 2005 11:21 pm

how much water was out in those spots?? Im goin out there tomorrow during the day around 1 or 2 so i can check some spots out and scout around alittle before sunday morning. Just seeing from you guys and your input. Thanks
DuckComander
hunter

Postby Matt K » Sun Oct 23, 2005 7:34 pm

DROPDUX - sorry it took me so long to respond, just bought a house and have been moving in the past few days. Anyway, no I've never hunted there, but I plan to next season.
Matt K
hunter

Postby DROPDUX » Mon Oct 24, 2005 10:15 am

Next season? How about this season? I went on saturday, and the birds were flyin. I saw more birds on saturday than I'd seen at stillwater on opening day. Problem was they were sky high. There were a few sky busters that screwed up a few of my shots, but I'm havin a good day if birds are flyin constantly--whether I'm gettin many shots or not. And thats what it was. I wasn't in the best of spots because I got out there a little late but I still got 2 and shot only 6 times (two shot were after a crip). Hunting there is only every other day--most go saturday. I think I'll be headin up there this saturday. If you want to go pm me, and we'll plan ahead. One thing was it was awefull boring by myself! the pup is still a little young.
DROPDUX
hunter

Postby Matt K » Mon Oct 24, 2005 11:02 pm

The in-laws will be here this weekend, and I still haven't bought a license yet (I'm still considered a non-resident for another month). I may buy one soon though. I'll have to get some camo of some type also, I sold mine this past spring when I moved here from Wisconsin. Stupid me, I didn't think there were ducks here....
Matt K
hunter

Return to Nevada Duck Hunting