washoe valley

Nevada’s wide open spaces provide great hunting opportunities. From Sprg to Snow Geese. Discuss here in the Nevada duck hunting forum.

Moderators: NV Guide, Old Duck Getter

washoe valley

Postby DuckComander » Sun Oct 23, 2005 11:34 am

went there this sunday, got one bird. Not bad considering theres no water out there and theres no birds i guess.. Anyone else go out there?
DuckComander
hunter

Postby DROPDUX » Sun Oct 23, 2005 5:42 pm

thats why, when I'm up there I go to stillwater. Worth a try though--its a long season
DROPDUX
hunter

Postby Sagebrush » Mon Oct 24, 2005 11:43 pm

Washoe lakes are a hard way to go. The "little" North lake always has water but is real small. 4 hunters can cover the lake. The "Big" south lake has very little water this year. It is all at the south end !! Shortest entry via hwy 395; and it won't cost you a 4$ parking permit. Park & start walking. I have seen ducks & geese in the "Marsh area" south of the lake. I have not hunted it this year. I go to the Fallon areas...More water & birds.
Sagebrush
hunter

Postby DuckComander » Tue Oct 25, 2005 8:03 pm

south, north... whoa! im lost ahaha
this is the first year i have hunted in nevada and im only 18 (started when i was 10)
but i go hunting right where i see the signs.. north side i guess.
I NEVER KNEW THERE WAS A SOUTH SIDE!!!
where can i get over on that side at?
DuckComander
hunter

Postby Sagebrush » Wed Oct 26, 2005 2:35 pm

Just got back from scouting Washoe lake. There are only TWO areas you can hunt. :eek: The "pot holes " or marsh area just south of the lake on the Carson city side. You must be at least 200 yards away from hwy 395!! (The entry road/areas are @5 & 8 o'clock ) The 2nd area is at the east boat launch area c/o the State Parks . From Reno via hwy 395; go south on the washoe lake frontage road for almost 2 miles.Turn right @ sign and go 1.7 miles. Turn right onto gravel road, go 1/8 mile. (This will be @ 3 o'clock.) You will have ONE sq mile N/E of you that has water that can be hunted. All other ares are "off limits" per the park ranger that I talked to at the boat ramp. (They are DRY anyway!)
Good luck ps last year had mostly mallard,teal & pintail & Honkers.
Sagebrush
hunter

Postby DROPDUX » Wed Oct 26, 2005 3:20 pm

Ed,

Thanks for your updates on northern hunting. nice work :thumbsup:

DD
DROPDUX
hunter

Postby DuckComander » Wed Oct 26, 2005 6:12 pm

where is the south side lake entrance??
i tried looking today but i couldnt find it.
went out there this morning on the north side and there was about 6 people already out there at 5am. Seems like you have to get there at 3am to get a spot.
Heard some shooting from both sides, only once though.

One guy left and i took the spot around 8 am. Waited for about 30 mins and i got one to come on in and got it. Thats all i saw all day after that. Nothing flying in the air or anything.

P/S a wood duck likes to fly 10 mins before shoot time out there. Almost got him last time but its like he can tell time. :smile:
DuckComander
hunter

Postby Sagebrush » Thu Oct 27, 2005 12:58 am

South side entrance c/o 2 : I said @ 5 & 8 o'clock. The 8 o'clock is on the east side of 395 out of Carson (north bound )about 1 mile south of the little bridge overpass. The 5 o'clock is going north out of carson, take the off ramp for the east side of the lake. Just before the lake, there is a coral/parking area on the left of the road. Start walking West.....
Last edited by Sagebrush on Fri Oct 28, 2005 8:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sagebrush
hunter

Postby DuckComander » Thu Oct 27, 2005 7:31 pm

ok so i went today and found them!

and i was just wondering on if you could hunt the area right in front of the viewing thing..like if your looking straight out into washoe lake, theres that little marsh area there.. can you hunt that one and the one to the far left of that?

i belive those were the only ones with water for now.

Saw alot of birds on the shore line of washoe lake near the south end.
DuckComander
hunter

Postby Sagebrush » Wed Nov 02, 2005 9:21 pm

Hay DC; went out to washoe c/o east boat ramp area, north. Got there 10 min early, put the dec's out, and sat down and loaded up with BB's. Why? When the wind is doing 30mph, #4 -#2 can't cut the wind drift.
By 9am it was all over. Heard about 9 shots from the south end, 12 from the far west and 6 shots 400yds west of me. 80% of the birds were mallards; all 90yds high . No teal or geese yet!! With the South wind, most of the birds were on the hwy395 side about 1/3rd of the way in....I don't know if the guys over there had lots of dec's or were just shooting? I might give Carson lake, "greenhead" a try next time....Later
Sagebrush
hunter

Postby DuckComander » Sat Nov 05, 2005 10:29 am

yea i was thinking about giving that end a try soon.
on the other end i only use about 6-8 decks.. if that.
doesnt seem like anything likes to fly that way other then shovlers.
last 2 times i was out there thats what lands and i dont want those things. haha
did you shoot at all down at that end?
let me know, thanks
DuckComander
hunter

Postby Sagebrush » Sun Nov 06, 2005 12:15 am

DC; there were some ducks, but with the 30mph wind they would have to be sitting in my decks or 20yards out to hit them! I don't even know what the hech I was doing out there!!!
Im going to GREENHEAD next trip. the birds should be down by then. At least I will see more than 6 birds "almost in range". There are a lots of birds in Fallon; you just have to be set up in tyhe right area. The wind & weather plays a part in where to set up. Later....
Sagebrush
hunter

Postby DuckComander » Sun Nov 06, 2005 11:01 am

yea im looking into this flatbottom boat this week to buy, because i hate wading! haha but thats just me.
Fallon has alot of birds for the time i guess, but there 200 yards up there.
Washoe... well all i have to say is that i made a spinning wing decoy and i modded the wings on it, AND HOT DAMN!!!

MORE THEN 30 BIRDS LANDED IN FRONT OF ME AT SHOOT TIME!!

i was amazed, this was the first time i tryed this mod out, and from what i seen, it works pretty damn good.

i am going to attempt to make the whole motor and batterie set up this week in a decoy. Should be interesting.
DuckComander
hunter

Postby Sagebrush » Sat Nov 12, 2005 4:45 pm

DC; went to Fallon Fri 11th; There were so many ducks I passed lots of them up & called my shots. Limited out in 2 hours with # 5's @ 1550fps.
Sagebrush
hunter

Postby DuckComander » Sat Nov 12, 2005 10:09 pm

:oops:

MAN!!

where did you go?!?!?!!?!?!?!?!?!

i was going to go tomorrow(sunday) but my car took a crap :(
and i just got a boat and all this and ready to take it out and try it out and blah blah blah

but this week im going to hit it up!!
DuckComander
hunter

Postby Sagebrush » Sun Nov 13, 2005 11:35 pm

DC: I went over to Greenhead (Carson Lake). It's about 80 minutes out of Reno. Today (sun 13th ) I fly fished Pyramid Lake. I did pretty good.If you get up to Crosby's Lodge & bar you can see a picture of my 28" 11pound 8 ounce cutthroat trout......What a week !!!!
Sagebrush
hunter

Postby Sagebrush » Mon Nov 14, 2005 10:51 pm

DC; Wensday is coming...you know what that means...Washoe time.
I don't know if I want to go "way out" towards the west side from the dock area; or try the south end for the first time this year?
What do you think about the south end...any advice ?
Sagebrush
hunter

Postby DuckComander » Mon Nov 14, 2005 11:37 pm

Sagebrush,
theres like 3 spots out there, one is were the road splits to the left, but i havent had a chance to get that spot.

Theres one spot where EVERYONE seems to go, and thats the one that i like, but its the first water on the road that turns right.. really good area!

The 3rd, is just about 100 yards past the spot above, and it seems to be pretty well, hunted there once late morning and got one out of there.

so i mean either one seems good.

i was thinking about going out wed. so if i do ill get back to you and maybe we can meet up in a spot or somthing.
DuckComander
hunter

Postby DuckComander » Wed Nov 16, 2005 7:04 pm

Sage,

how did you do today???
DuckComander
hunter

Postby Sagebrush » Thu Nov 17, 2005 12:13 am

Had to stay home. I was told last night that there was going to be a AFL-CIO Trap shoot in December, and I was put in charge to get it together.
Had to look up a lot of phone #'s and give the guys a headstart on the date ,time etc. so they can get their "stuff" together. The shoot is between Reno/Sparks and Vegas.

I might get out Friday to beat the crowd. Tomarrow I think I will hit Pyramid for a little fishing.
Sagebrush
hunter

Postby DuckComander » Sat Nov 19, 2005 7:23 pm

well today was a crappy day out in washoe.. or on the north end anyways.

it was frozen. ducks wanted to land in the morning, they just knew they couldnt :thumbsdown:

heard ALOT of shots on thea south end though. after i was done about a hour later, i drove over there and checked it out and there was about 5-6 people over there.

seems like they did ok. but not me.
DuckComander
hunter

Postby Sagebrush » Sun Nov 20, 2005 12:28 pm

DC; sorry you had a bad day, it happens to all of us. When you flip the coin to go here or there, it works out that was sometimes.

With the cold weather starting in, I will have to get my butt in gear before all the water starts to freeze !! Monday I have to get my rig serviced, maybe Wen. at the south end ? If you still have car problems maybe I can pick you up ? My other buddy in Sparks & I trade off driving cars when we go. ........Later Ed
Sagebrush
hunter

Postby DuckComander » Mon Nov 21, 2005 12:41 am

Sage,
ill let you know what i have to do this week. Maybe we can hit up the south end wends.

ill see if i cant get my dads work truck or somthing :tounge:

I think im moving to sacramento here in a couple weeks for school. so i want to get as much nevada duck hunting as i can.
DuckComander
hunter

Postby Sagebrush » Mon Nov 21, 2005 11:40 pm

DC; Wensday, south end for sure.......I have some brand new never shot before in my life; 1 1/4oz HEVI-SHOT I have just got to try out!!!

At 50yards with a Fac. flush Mod choke I got a 3 shot ave of 72% .
I put the data on the Nev site, c/o where 's my HS?

Hope to see you at the south east corner? 6am ? Call if you need HELP !! later Sage
Sagebrush
hunter

S/E Washoe

Postby Sagebrush » Wed Nov 23, 2005 3:49 pm

DC: 6am,I was there, where were you?
Walked all over the south end with a full pack of decoys on my back for an hour, looking for the water......There isn't any !!
Went up to the east side, through the first gate. Someone with motion wing & dec's already set up in the first water hole inside the road.
Drove to the end to where the trees are, and headed straight west and then a little north. Broke ice 40% of the way,not bad,but ice just the same.
If you stay close to the trees, it is wet at first ,then dry; which is a better way in & out. (Found out on my way out) Found a water area with a stream going south out of it. Set my 4 spring in the stream, 10 mallards in the south part of the water, and 6 widgen over to the right. Backed off to the south 40 yards, into some 36" weeds. (that was "the cover" in the area) Well, it is now 8:45, half the day shot to hell. Had two flocks come over but out of range. At 10:15 I happened to look up, and there they were. A flock of black birds right on top of me at 50 yards & closing. Jumped up, shot the 1st bird, swong got the 2nd, was going for a tripple, but noticed the 2nd bird was not hit hard, so had to finished it with my last shot. I still did not get to try my "hevi", since I put in BB's thinking of high birds. Boy they mess a duck up at 40 yards. This will be my last trip to Washoe.....Fallon for me, deeper water, less ice if any?? Sage
Sagebrush
hunter

Next

Return to Nevada Duck Hunting