It's Fallon time !

Nevada’s wide open spaces provide great hunting opportunities. From Sprg to Snow Geese. Discuss here in the Nevada duck hunting forum.

Moderators: NV Guide, Old Duck Getter

It's Fallon time !

Postby Sagebrush » Wed Nov 23, 2005 10:20 pm

With the water "getting hard" here in Reno, looks like it is time to look for water that is deeper or at least moving. Here we go, 60 miles East! :getdown: (South is mostly private land & North is Indian Res; ...I don't have a Calif Lic.) :eek:
Looks like I will break in my new Hevi loads Friday, in Fallon... (I will still carry some "Steel" on me just in case)...... :thumbsup:

Happy Thanksgiving to all. :salude: .....Sage
Sagebrush
hunter

Postby GunDog » Thu Nov 24, 2005 11:36 am

First post after reading all you guys for a while now, I'll try to be short-

I went out to Fallon (Stillwater that is) a for the first time 2 weeks ago after getting frustrated with Washoe...saw tons of birds, just not coming near my decoys --this was likely due to my failure to scout and we ended up going south from the car instead of north...as the sun rose we saw tons of open water on the other side of the car versus all the marsh we were in. Lesson learned, walk alot further into the north side of Tule. :withstupid:

Went back last week with my new found knowledge of what I thought were good spots and only saw a single goose fly overhead and two seperate groups flyby and not even look at my decoys (one group of teal app. 15 and the other of 4 shovelers which landed across the lake). I was hunting the northeast side of Nutgrass near the 3 structure intersection.

Thinking I'm going back this Friday and will try out some spots near Bob's landing with all the tall reeds...any suggestions otherwise.
GunDog
hunter

Stillwater

Postby Sagebrush » Thu Nov 24, 2005 12:23 pm

Gundog; welcome to the party....It is always nice to get new blood into the system! You said you hunted in Nutgrass. I can't help you out, scince there are 3 of them ! WEST, NORTH & SOUTH Nutgrass.....
I have had luck with the north end of south nutgrass this year and also Willow lake way over on the north/west side of stillwater. To get there, don't turn right on Divisinn road, just keep straight(north) for 2.2 miles. You will run on to a REST AREA. Go n/e and take the 2nd road (about .3 miles) that will run north along Willow lake. If you do go all the way around to Millen, you can go down to Lead lake & take the road to the rest area to go home. The shortcut out(Freeman Lane rd.) is one long rutted ride out. Goose & W.nutgrass also have water & 80% of the flights, go south right over south nutgrass, but at 500 feet elevation!
Welcome to Nevada DuX Huntn..Pardner....Sage
Sagebrush
hunter

Postby DuckComander » Thu Nov 24, 2005 12:51 pm

Gundog, welcome :thumbsup:
i had one incounter out at willow.. got 2 but waiting that water is not for me.. i hate walking in mud like that!! but there is birds that fly over that way.

goose lake has alot of birds i think its because theres alot of water. i just got a 10ft jon boat, havent used it yet, but im thinking about trying it out on goose first because i can get up in the tule and set the decks about 10 yards out and wait. Once people start shooting it seems like they all head that way.
DuckComander
hunter

Tules ?

Postby Sagebrush » Thu Nov 24, 2005 9:26 pm

Hay DC; If I recall, there are not a whole lot of tules stands around Goose lake. 12.3 & 7 o'clok if I recall, unless they grew? Are you going to set up on the point south of the dock & parking area, just a little to the right? Good luck Ed
Sagebrush
hunter

Postby DuckComander » Fri Nov 25, 2005 5:37 am

Sage,
im not sure where im going to set up. Im hoping i can get my truck back today (friday) so i can go out saturday morning. i was going to go scout out alittle friday and see. I was also thinking about hitting up Tule.
DuckComander
hunter

Postby GunDog » Fri Nov 25, 2005 8:13 pm

Went out to stillwater this morning and saw lots of birds like you said Sage...it was frustrating to hear that "jetlike" sounds of the wings and then glimpse the birds above the cloud level though the gaps. Did a little bit of scouting and think I've now tried/failed at the north-east extreme and today the south-west side...if I go back tomorrow or Sunday, I'll be going for either Willow or Tule (centralized locations)...are both pretty wadable or is a boat necessary? I've still got a little youth in me and don't mind walking through some mud to tire out my dog.
GunDog
hunter

Fallon area

Postby Sagebrush » Fri Nov 25, 2005 9:19 pm

Gundog: You got a dog!! Heck, you got it made, I have to kill em dead, then go get um!!
Hay guys, was at Fallon today. Nothing special, Early birds as usual, then nothing at 8am. The sky started to get dark, the wind came up & then all hell broke loose.
Rain, 20 mph wind,ducks all over, and BEST of all, LIGHTNING !!!
I wanted to get the heck out of there ,but I was affraid to stand up and go to high ground. So I stayed low , got wet & shot ducks ....all 7.
Got a picture of "before" and after with a rainbow(good shot).
By the way, I don't know if I like Hevi-shot or not......some of my birds had a lot of blood clots inside when I breasted them. More than steel ever had. Might go back Sunday, Sat is going to be too cold !!
Sagebrush
hunter

Postby DuckComander » Sat Nov 26, 2005 2:07 pm

hahaha sage, i like how you said saturday is going to be too cold.. actually it wasnt bad. just NO CLOUDS :pissed:

i went out today (saturday) and i took the boat out!!! it worked great, just no birds in the goose lake, rice landing area :(

i maybe had a shot at one but i was looking the other way and i heard it pass me going 50! haha

other then that, LOTS AND LOTS of shooting on the west side. maybe willow tule?? more then likely. theres always birds there.

i was going to stay another night but i just didnt have enough money to eat and then get back home :thumbsdown:

i will be going out maybe next weekend or this week sometime. One bad thing though, i dont have a motor on my boat so i had to pattle all the way out and i didnt get far enough. thats what was the problem i belive.
anyone know where i can get a cheap but good trolling motor??
DuckComander
hunter

cheap trol motor

Postby Sagebrush » Sat Nov 26, 2005 5:41 pm

DC; If you got time, but no way to tell if it is aok: try E-Bay

Otherwise: Wal-mart or Sportsman's whse , for new unit ?
Sagebrush
hunter

Postby DuckComander » Sat Nov 26, 2005 6:23 pm

yea i think im going to get one for a early x mas present :thumbsup:

i keep bagging my mom now, its pretty funny! hahah it just sucked so much trying to paddle!!! ehhh
DuckComander
hunter

Postby DuckComander » Sat Nov 26, 2005 6:24 pm

time sage?? when it comes to duck hunting, i dont have TIME!! hahaha theres only a little bit of time left! :toofunny:
DuckComander
hunter

Yachting ?

Postby Sagebrush » Sat Nov 26, 2005 10:28 pm

Do you have just a paddle, oares or a double paddle for your boat?
I would think a canoe double paddle , would be the way to go ?

Maybe if you got a really BIG running start?..... HaHaHa

We only have 45 days left...I'm going tomarrow....and dressing X-tra warm.... Good Luck...Sage
Sagebrush
hunter

Postby DuckComander » Sun Nov 27, 2005 11:41 am

well i have 2 paddles for me and my gf, but thats it!! haha

and in some places the ground was like 6 inches from the boat so it was hard.

im going to get a motor soon.

tell us how you did today sage :thumbsup:
DuckComander
hunter

How did I do ?

Postby Sagebrush » Sun Nov 27, 2005 10:22 pm

To start off with, it was 16 degrees when I left the house in Reno! By the time I got to Hazen, it was a toasty 18 degrees. When I got to Carson Lake at 6am it was a blistering 21 degrees! :getdown: :getdown:
Had to break ice for the first 100 yds before I got to open water. :pissed:
Set my mallards out 3x2x4x2 with 2 widgeon out front for "flash".
Not a duck in sight!! Finally poped a cap at 11:45. It got better. From 12:30 to 1:45 the ducks were dropping into my dec's. Big time, sitting in the water !! By 1pm I had a limit of ducks. :thumbsup: Then I took pictures of incoming for 90 minutes. These new didital camera's really suck!!! 4 sec. to turn on & get ready....Hell, the darn ducks are already flaring !! I will bring my Pentex with zoom lens , next time !!
I have to admit ,that the hevi-shot,really reaches out there !!! 7 ducks in 12 shots....not bad. None under 35yards....one spoonbill at 60yards...Just had to see if those manuals were right. :hammering: :hammering:
Sagebrush
hunter

Return to Nevada Duck Hunting