What should I do with my boat?

Nevada’s wide open spaces provide great hunting opportunities. From Sprg to Snow Geese. Discuss here in the Nevada duck hunting forum.

Moderators: NV Guide, Old Duck Getter

What should I do with my boat?

Postby FNG » Tue Dec 06, 2005 7:28 pm

I would like to solicit the advice and opinions from the waterfowl hunters in the Reno area about whether I should keep or sell my boat to hunt out there. I have a Go-Devil Boat with a GD Surface drive mud motor that I now use in Virginia. I am pending USMC orders to the Bridgeport, Ca. area, and am planning on hunting the MVWMA, SWWMA in NV. I have done some initial "scouting" via the internet and through maps of the area and found some areas I would like to scout/hunt. I cannot determine if I will be able to use my boat. If I can walk into the hunting areas, will I have a need for the boat? I don't want to drag my boat from Virginia if I will not need it. Would I be better off with a canoe?

Also, I have alot of work ahead of me finding places to hunt. I plan on buying a Ca and NV hunting license to hunt the Antelope valley, Bridgeport, and WMA's in the Fallon/Yerrington area. Will a boat be beneficial in that area?

Thank you for your time Gentlemen, and any help you can provide

FNG
FNG
hunter

Postby DuckComander » Tue Dec 06, 2005 8:19 pm

let me be the first to say :welcome:

i just bought a boat and i just it out at stillwater, i dont have a motor yet( :hammering:) but i still take it out. i think its just easyer..you can load everything up and not carry it.

so far its been pretty nice, i just need a motor. haha
DuckComander
hunter

Postby Sagebrush » Tue Dec 06, 2005 9:09 pm

Put er this way:
The area with ducks is 300 yards out in 30" water & soft sticky mud bottom all the way!!
Or You have 30 mph winds pushing your dead bird away from you, that hit 50 yards out!!!

Do you really need a boat?? Not if you have an 8Ga. & two Labs!!

In Nevada, a boat of some type, really makes things a LOT better!!

If the water was deeper,I would use my 17foot Bayliner !
I will keep yours nice & warm for you, if you like ?

Get er done! Sage.
Sagebrush
hunter

Postby lavalle » Wed Dec 14, 2005 2:59 pm

:welcome:
Hi marine.

Here in Nevada Waterfoul hunting is fairly good. But it can be a bit of distance between good locations. I personally hunt Masion Vally WMA (public). Lots of small ponds there and normally a good amount of birds.
But only 1 with boat access (North Pond)

Greenhead hunt club (Private, carson lake in Fallon) is not too far away and the hunting there is normally excelent. In fact this is probally the best watterfoul hunting in the state. Cost $50.00/yr to hunt there. Boat is highly recomended at Greenhead.

Hunting at Stillwatter, Washoe, Carson River and elsewhere varies depending on how the migration is going that year.

When you arrive in Nevada drop me a line. I'd be happy to show you arround some of the good spots.

Lavalle
bharmon@maxtonvalve.com
lavalle
Newb

Hunting the wrong spots

Postby GunDog » Wed Dec 14, 2005 5:49 pm

I guess I've been hunting the wrong spots for the past few years...this year was my first at Stillwater as I've previously only been at Washoe and Carson river. If I thought Stillwater was great I can't wait to try Greenhead and Mason valley next year...only like 300 days left to wait I guess.
GunDog
hunter

Postby DROPDUX » Thu Dec 15, 2005 11:19 am

where on the carson river do you hunt. I would like to hunt it on christmas eve morning.
DROPDUX
hunter

Postby lavalle » Thu Dec 15, 2005 4:04 pm

The Carson runs through Douglas county, we have permission to various private area along the river. The biggest is the Incline Village GED wetlands project located off of Vicky ln. But you need to know someone to get in there. I have done a couple of "floats" down the river with some success. Good luck! :salude:
lavalle
Newb

Postby DROPDUX » Thu Dec 15, 2005 5:03 pm

I grew up in minden, but I didn't hunt while I lived there. do many people float the river? Can you set up on a bank somewhere? Thanks for the info.
DROPDUX
hunter

Postby lavalle » Thu Dec 15, 2005 6:42 pm

some of us set up along the river a little north of Hot springs. Vicky now extends almost all the way around the hill now so access is ok.
Some of us walk in from Cradelbah bridge and jump them there too.
Others will get alog the river near Wally's and they do real good there. But that is all private land and you offically need permisssion,(or fast legs).
lavalle
Newb

Postby lavalle » Thu Dec 15, 2005 6:44 pm

Floating is a bit of work. I put in a cradlebah and float all the way past the prision. I've only done it twice but it is different.
lavalle
Newb

Postby FNG » Sun Dec 18, 2005 7:35 am

For some reason my reply to the forum never hit the the system so I am trying again.

Want to thank you all for the warm welcome to the forum and all of your helpful information. Looks like I will be dragging my boat to Bridgeport this coming spring.

Does anyone know if the greenhead hunt club has a website? Does it recieve alot of pressure? Do members draw for "blinds" or hunting locations at the club?

How much pressure to the WMA's recieve? Are there alot of duck hunters to compete with?

Thanks again for your time and help, hopefully this post finds you all bagging your limit.

FNG
FNG
hunter

Where to hunt ?

Postby Sagebrush » Tue Dec 20, 2005 8:09 pm

FNG;
Greenhead is $10 a pop or $50 for the season.....with 24,000 acres.
No pre-season scouting......no computers.....Just show up with money!!
Gate opens at 5am .....check in & then go hunting. (body count)

For all the WMA's in Nevada: Best info is www.ndow.org
Go to hunting.....season & regulations.....Mig. & waterfowl....wma stuff

Its all there.....call Reno or Fallon office or walk in for more info.....
They have lots of maps and info..maybe a "Dave Rice" type guy to answer any questions you have?

Stillwater & Tulon (lovelock) are still free...no charge to hunt; just a little more gas needed.

Hope this helps.....Sage
Sagebrush
hunter

Return to Nevada Duck Hunting