Greenhead hunting club info

Nevada’s wide open spaces provide great hunting opportunities. From Sprg to Snow Geese. Discuss here in the Nevada duck hunting forum.

Moderators: NV Guide, Old Duck Getter

Greenhead hunting club info

Postby ASmith » Wed Sep 15, 2010 2:53 pm

I have been told a little about the greenhead hunting club in Fallon. Do any of you hunt there, or have you ever hunted there and what is it like? What do they charge to hunt there? Thanks.
Hold my beer, watch this!!!

Always looking for a new hunting partner, send a pm.
ASmith
hunter

Re: Greenhead hunting club info

Postby Yard Goose » Wed Sep 15, 2010 4:02 pm

have some buddy's that go there and limit almost every round. As for me I hunt my on Land!!!! As far as the fees go I think someone on this board will gladly chime in.... Saw alot of Pinny's come from there last year!!
Let Wads Fly And Feathers Fall!!
Yard Goose
hunter

Postby FlyFishingFreak » Wed Sep 15, 2010 4:16 pm

I think its $10 for one go. $60 for the season. Hunted there once, and I will go back even though I did not see a single bird. We went when the temps were down and the entire north froze. That sucked last year. But it is a nice place, large, has giant look out towers so you can "scout." you can leave you boat there and lock it up. I mostly hunt stillwater but will go anywhere that has birds.
FlyFishingFreak
hunter

Postby Old Duck Getter » Wed Sep 15, 2010 5:57 pm

$15.00 a day, $60.00 season - last years prices. Have not got pass for this year yet!

old duck
Old Duck Getter
State Moderator

Postby ASmith » Thu Sep 16, 2010 7:00 am

Thanks for the info. Ill have to take a drive over there one day and check it out.

ASmith
hunter

Postby creationchris » Thu Sep 16, 2010 9:10 am

if you are driving over there, might as well check out stillwater to. another 20 mins. Where are you driving from ?
creationchris
hunter

Postby ASmith » Thu Sep 16, 2010 9:58 am

Winnemucca.

ASmith
hunter

Postby Tito » Thu Sep 16, 2010 10:51 am

buddy and I were thinking about hunting it for the opener but have heard horror stories about the amount of guys there opening day....anyone else going for the opener? is it big enough to find one's own area? went out to stillwater for the opener last year and couldnt believe all the shooting, but also couldnt believe the crew that set up 75 yards from us and kept shooting our way :no:
Tito
hunter

Postby War Machine » Fri Sep 17, 2010 5:09 am

Yea, it happens a lot out there, i cut my teeth into hunting out there when i was 10yrs old (13 years ago)... I got peppered quite a few times, and even had a decoy or two get snuck up on by some "SUPER" sneaky hunters.... haha

If you know where you're at, your birds are at and how to get there.... basicly everytime i went out, i would just make sure i was crazier than anyone else was and trudged through more muck knowing no one would follow... made for some, interesting hunts, and even more interesting drives home (cant remember most of them)

But hey, ive gotten more perfect limits and true triples out there than i can shake a fist at.... so if you know what you're doing, go for it, if not, learn!

Hey real quick does anyone know if kenneth is still working out there, last time i saw him he just got his leg amputated?
Mercinary Duck Hunter, HAVE CALLS WILL HUNT

PM me for custom boat blind fabrication, welding or building

SEMPER FI
War Machine
hunter

Postby layouthunter » Sat Sep 18, 2010 9:27 am

I have been hunting Greenhead for the last 15 years. It is a great place to go. the opening day is not the best time to go as you can imagine the mayhem that goes on. Shoulder to shoulder hunters and decoys and you will be rained on. After that the place quites down until someone starts the rumor about geese. Then it is back on. Cost is $60 a year and most of that is water rights payment. Ken is still at the gate and doing well. He did loose his leg and some follow on health problems. When you stop and check, a few moments to visit is always apreciated by him. He lives there alone, the wife passed away 2 years ago. There is also a camp ground of sort right across from the club that will allow you to camp with a traler for a small fee. Hope to see you out there some time? Please, you hold my beer and watch.
layouthunter
hunter

Postby ASmith » Sat Sep 18, 2010 12:40 pm

Again, thanks everyone for the information. I found there phone number on the net and plan on trying to drive out there this coming up weekend to check it out and do a little scouting around. Just a side note, only 30 days left.......

ASmith
hunter

Postby greenheadfallon17 » Sun Sep 19, 2010 11:57 pm

i will always hunt greenhead but they need more monitoring. we had a boat chained up on both sides and had our grass mats under them and they were stolen when we next went out there. im young, ut i guess honesty is now hard to come buy, but i do say go out there, great duks and good memories from me, i still love it but will always be more seure about my gear.
greenheadfallon17
hunter

Postby NVgrnhd » Mon Sep 20, 2010 8:30 pm

well worth the money
Whack Em

If the terms "right wing" or "left wing" mean you almost missed...you might be a duck hunter
NVgrnhd
hunter

Postby birddog70 » Wed Sep 22, 2010 8:32 pm

do they have any maps of greenhead, or do we just explore? i've tried google earth, but not enough detail!
birddog70
hunter

Postby Sagebrush » Mon Sep 27, 2010 10:03 pm

The office has a map of the club and last year you could scout til 2 weeks before the opener.
Sagebrush
hunter

Postby thesilencer » Mon Oct 18, 2010 4:28 pm

OK guys. I promise to follow the the rules and not say anything hateful or slanderous. But please let me play the devils advocate for just a moment. I, like you guys love to hunt ducks. I also enjoy talking to other enthusiests and friends about it. However what I am totaly fed up with is the toll the information age is taking on the sport. Every opener there seems to be a growing number of California plates. It would be nice if people still had to go out and figure it out for themselves. I just wish it wasn't as simple as some guy from the Bay Area sitting at a computer hitting a button and reading about our spots. I also wish NDOW would realize the pressure and make opener the same way it is for Sage Grouse. RESIDENT ONLY. I'm not trying to anger anybody but maybe we should just try and be a little more Vague about our spots when in public chats. I hope someone here is as sick of the sea of California plates as I am. God Bless and good hunting.
thesilencer
Newb

Postby Old Duck Getter » Mon Oct 18, 2010 6:16 pm

OK, silencer. Here's my take on this. How long have you been in the back ground, seeing where others are hunt, how they are doing and not contributing your knowledge? This is your first post. I know how you feel when you pull into your spot and there are lots of cars. I for one hunt both California's openers. They may say the same things about me. I don't know, but they spend money for their licence, stamps, food, gas and lodging while they are here. That means more money for NDOW and the community they stay in. If I stepped on your toes I apologize for it. Just my two cents worth.

And by the way :welcome: to this great site!

old duck
Old Duck Getter
State Moderator

Postby Mike Callian » Mon Oct 18, 2010 6:20 pm

thesilencer wrote:OK guys. I promise to follow the the rules and not say anything hateful or slanderous. But please let me play the devils advocate for just a moment. I, like you guys love to hunt ducks. I also enjoy talking to other enthusiests and friends about it. However what I am totaly fed up with is the toll the information age is taking on the sport. Every opener there seems to be a growing number of California plates. It would be nice if people still had to go out and figure it out for themselves. I just wish it wasn't as simple as some guy from the Bay Area sitting at a computer hitting a button and reading about our spots. I also wish NDOW would realize the pressure and make opener the same way it is for Sage Grouse. RESIDENT ONLY. I'm not trying to anger anybody but maybe we should just try and be a little more Vague about our spots when in public chats. I hope someone here is as sick of the sea of California plates as I am. God Bless and good hunting.

Really guy... :lol3:

Before I expand on my personal opinion on this... I want to know if you ever hunt out of state.
Mike Callian
hunter

Postby creationchris » Mon Oct 18, 2010 6:35 pm

I am a NV resident and hunt both states . I highly doubt anyone is giving out detailed directions to any specific honey hole on this website(at least I have'nt found any). This is PUBLIC hunting at its best. The bottom line is you can google greenhead, get the # and call ken, and he is happy to tell ya anything. Sometimes BS and sometimes true =) Thats why I like him ! I think there is room for everyone and the bigger problem is instead, people not respecting the sport or each other. Wether it be setting up to close to each other (cause nobody wants to put in the EFFORT to walk a bit further), not trying hard enough to work birds and taking 150 yd shots (skyscraping), leaving crap in the marsh...ect. I think if everyone tried a bit harder to respect and UNDERSTAND all the aspects of the sport, we would would'nt be having this converstaion. Just my thoughts. By the way ODG, changed all my deek anchors to the weed eater cord and I could not be happier! Set up and break down is a breeze now. Thanks!
Last edited by creationchris on Mon Oct 18, 2010 7:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
creationchris
hunter

Postby Old Duck Getter » Mon Oct 18, 2010 6:50 pm

Glad it works for you Chris! :smile:

old duck
Old Duck Getter
State Moderator

Postby Ryan Hill » Mon Oct 18, 2010 7:45 pm

Mike Callian wrote:Really guy... :lol3:

Before I expand on my personal opinion on this... I want to know if you ever hunt out of state.

Oh! Oh! I wanna expand on my opinion too! :biggrin:
Ryan Hill
hunter

Postby Tito » Mon Oct 18, 2010 10:50 pm

looks like im not allowed to hunt ducks in nevada this year dangit

seriously though, if a guy wants to drive his butt out to middle of nowhere fallon, or anywhere for that matter, to hunt ducks, he shouldn't be judged or shunned from a nevada resident....cmon silencer. Im a California resident and I could care less if I see Nevada plates at the refuges in the valley...all the power to those guys. California hunters have a bad rep I guess...maybe thats it?
Tito
hunter

Postby JIMBO89 » Tue Oct 19, 2010 12:36 am

Tito wrote: California hunters have a bad rep I guess...maybe thats it?

I think we're just known for killing to many ducks!
JIMBO89
hunter

Postby Sagebrush » Wed Oct 20, 2010 10:30 am

I would think if you don't like someone hunting in your area, just me man enough to walk over to their rig, the one with the Calif out of state license plate and wait for them. Then tell them what you think about the whole situation.

That might solve your problem.
Sagebrush
hunter

Postby GaryBHunting » Wed Oct 20, 2010 1:52 pm

The one thing I like about this forum are the people that are willing to share information and in return we get information if we decide to go out of town. That only happens on this board from what I've seen. Other boards become very territorial and offensive which isn't tolerated here. This is the best board for any duck/goose hunter to share or get information and I for one am glad to be a part of it. If you are not getting into the birds silencer, ask for some help on this board. I think you'd be surprised how many people step up. Good luck!
GaryBHunting
"Talk em in"
GaryBHunting
hunter

Next

Return to Nevada Duck Hunting