Geese are here!!!

Nevada’s wide open spaces provide great hunting opportunities. From Sprg to Snow Geese. Discuss here in the Nevada duck hunting forum.

Moderators: NV Guide, Old Duck Getter

Geese are here!!!

Postby GunDog » Sat Dec 24, 2005 2:41 pm

Decided to take make it a short morning and headed down to Washoe to check things out after all this rain and runoff.

Went out near north boat ramp where Sage was talking about. Saw lots of ducks flying, but unfortunately I lost my duck call so I was hoping my spread would bring them in...no ducks close enough to shoot.

NOW for the excitement...tons of geese flying around the valley. Even saw one group of Specks (about 20-30 birds) thats kept circling the north end. Had three groups of honkers fly right over the top of me, first group caught me off-guard with only 4 shot in my gun :eek: (was still hoping for some ducks), second two groups I was ready and got my limit today.

Here's a link to my double and pup: <http://www.duckhuntingchat.com/album_page.php?pic_id=1366>
GunDog
hunter

GEEEEESSSSSEEEE !

Postby Sagebrush » Sat Dec 24, 2005 10:45 pm

Hot Darn, its about time !!! I told you guys they would be in the area, like last year. They are just 3 weeks late !!!

Now don't all you guys hog my "honey hole", we can share, right!

Ha Ha Ha Ha.....Right!
Sagebrush
hunter

thanks anyways for the tip Sage

Postby GunDog » Sun Dec 25, 2005 1:54 pm

Wish I could say your spot was secluded Sage, but like usual those Washoe lake groupies were out in full effect yesterday...shooting at birds too high to identify or reach even with those 3 1/2 cannons they use.

The spot I went to didn't have any other cars nearby when I arrived at 5:45 or left at 8:30, but I did have two seperate guys to my south (one must have parked at the boat ramp & the other had a helluva walk from 395 I guess), alot of shooting to the west of the "new water" created at the north end (another long walk from 395), and what sounded like another groups to my north/north-east (must have taken a right at the fork through first gate).

When leaving I took a tour of the lake to see how many other people were out and saw 2 cars parked at the southern "pothole" viewing lot, 1 parked on the southern road near the farm, 3 parked along the 395 levy gate, 1 rig w/ boat trailer at Bellevue, 4 trucks picking up geese decoys (I guess) on the shore between the levy and Bellevue (lazy hunters, why haven't I thought of that), and another 3 vehicles along the road on 395 (must have been the others I mentioned above)...reminds me of California hunting or at least opening day. Too busy for me, maybe I'll try Tulon next...any tips?
GunDog
hunter

Toulon

Postby Sagebrush » Sun Dec 25, 2005 3:19 pm

When I went there , the best area was around the island at the north end. Park, cross a bridge and keep walking....

When there was lots of water (not this year) out south east of the old factory building at the far south west of the lake. You cross over the RxR tracks & take a road that dies out going in the direction of Fallon. Tules & pot holes.
Sagebrush
hunter

Postby DuckComander » Mon Dec 26, 2005 3:21 am

man i was going to go out that day also but i got back from sacramento from seeing family a little to late!!!!

i was out there early friday to scout and i saw alotttt of geese flying.

im thinking us 3 should go wed?? anyone down?
DuckComander
hunter

Washoe

Postby Sagebrush » Mon Dec 26, 2005 3:32 pm

DC:
I will be there Wen.....pretty sure.....around 6:20 am Gives me 25 min to get my boots on and get out ......

If the weather is not real bad...still getting over a cold !

c/o the 1st left...straight out to end of road...right ?
Sagebrush
hunter

Wednesday @ Washoe

Postby GunDog » Mon Dec 26, 2005 5:48 pm

There's a chance I may have Wednesday off work...if so, I'll meet you guys there. I'll probably get there earlier but if you see an Explorer parked in the mud it's me.

I'll go back to where I was Saturday but look for better cover...followed road through the water until it stopped into new channel. Went north about 150 yards where water started to open up and go NE a bit. I'd estimate I was app. 75-100 yards West of the trees if you know where that is...only saw a few spots of tall enough weeds to provide cover, but there was about 6 inches of water.

If I don't make it, good luck fellas.
GunDog
hunter

the spot

Postby Sagebrush » Tue Dec 27, 2005 11:50 am

Yep thats the spot! I went out to the water and a little past. Sat on my re-cyle plastic crate in back of a small patch of high weeds. My buddy was on the east side of the water in tall brush.
We had 20 mph wind, lots of ducks and some geese at 40 yards elevation !! He missed all his shots; I got two greenhead and three widgon. Had to give them a 4 ft lead c/o "Hevi" #5's, instead of a 2ft lead.
Had a flock of 12 honkers fly right over the edge of the trees, we were to far out to get a shot. Later all the ducks & geese that went south into the wind, were coming back in singles & doubles! Had my back to them, did not get smart til it was almost over (10am). We were wet & cold, time to head in. 5 birds with out dec's! Not bad...... Dec's next time !!
Sagebrush
hunter

Happy New Year !!!!

Postby Sagebrush » Sun Jan 01, 2006 9:55 pm

Finally got my 1st GOOSE !! Got 2 greenhead and cock sprig early.

Then the geese started coming in. Had to move 300 yards east to get in the fly way. It was really great, even with the 25mph wind.

Most fo the geese were 5 feet off the deck with 35 yards the max. Ran out of cover and had to sit in light twigs 36" high. Finally got some blind Honkers & Speck's to come over my way.
3 shots , 3 geese. #2's with a 24" lead was perfect .

I was 2.5 miles north of the overpass, all the way out to the water.
3.2 miles north would have been better, a lot more cover.

Happy New Year !! :salude:
Sagebrush
hunter

Goose ?

Postby Sagebrush » Wed Jan 04, 2006 4:33 pm

DC; were you out there wensday? The weaterman said fog, would you beleive "bluebird"?

Hope you did not go in too far on the 1st road; 2 4x4's were bogged down 200 yards in past the 2nd corner.

I went out for geese and never had one get near me.

However at 9:20 I got a TRIPPLE on HONKERS !
I looked up & thanked the man upstairs ; he must have though I have suffered enough this season.

What a way to end the season ........Took some pictures, went home and picked all three! One for the oven & two for the smoker.

Now for the Texas & USC ....game.

Good luck boys & girls......Sage :salude:
Sagebrush
hunter

Postby DuckComander » Wed Jan 04, 2006 8:37 pm

Sage, i went out today and yea haha i was right where those 2 trucks where, ice everywhere in the morning so i just said forget it an left before all that snow turned into mud. I had no trouble getting in there or getting out hahaha.

i heard some shots in the morning but thats it, and when i was driving out i saw your jeep and i was like damn did he walk ALL that way ahhaha.
DuckComander
hunter

A little walk in

Postby Sagebrush » Thu Jan 05, 2006 4:19 pm

Yep, I walked in from the boat dock cut off. When I saw the conditions of the roads, thought it would be a smart move.

I had a hard time finding cover to hide in with the snow laying on top of everything. :toofunny:

If you find cover , you have a good chance of getting something ........

Latr....Sage
Sagebrush
hunter

Goose

Postby Sagebrush » Fri Jan 06, 2006 11:46 am

GUNDOG;
If you want geese: The last two trips out; ALL the geese headed for the # 2 area !! Even the geese on the east side of the lake went that way.

Go out ,work north out from the bushes (20 min.) go east towards the water. They fly at the waters edge, so look for any cover. I found a spot with 3 foot weeds/brush to sit down in (plastic re-cycle crate) to get ready.

Later....Sage
Sagebrush
hunter

Return to Nevada Duck Hunting