Hows the duck hunting in NV

Nevada’s wide open spaces provide great hunting opportunities. From Sprg to Snow Geese. Discuss here in the Nevada duck hunting forum.

Moderators: NV Guide, Old Duck Getter

Hows the duck hunting in NV

Postby sfinney » Tue Jan 03, 2006 3:31 pm

Hey folks. I am thinking about applying for a job in Reno. Wanted to know how the hunting is in that area. Are their plenty of birds and uncrowded places? I am from Missouri and live in Utah now. I average about 3-4 birds per hunt in Utah and hunt every weekend. Is this on par with that area? Any general info. would be grreatly appreciated.
sfinney
hunter

Postby Sagebrush » Tue Jan 03, 2006 5:41 pm

Are you a Redneck Morman?
Sagebrush
hunter

Postby sfinney » Wed Jan 04, 2006 9:03 am

SAgebrush: NO!!!!!!!!!! I mean Hell No!!!!!!!!!!!! THnaks for the PM. I am just a southeast Missouri good ole boy who got so lost I ended up in Utard. The duck hunting here is good (still not Missouri though) and I can't move somewhere that it is not. You understand I am sure.
sfinney
hunter

Postby DROPDUX » Wed Jan 04, 2006 10:49 am

living in reno you can do pretty well. I hear that Utah marshes (within reasonable distance from SLC) are often packed and some hunters are not too friendly. In reno you have some options. for ex: up there I go to stillwater, and many of these other boys on the site do to. When I am on the marsh I rarely see another hunter on my pond, yet I hear much shooting.
DROPDUX
hunter

Postby sfinney » Wed Jan 04, 2006 3:40 pm

the great salt lake is definitely crowded and lots of skybusters. I rarely hunt there as I am 3 hours away. Only for swans. Sounds like there is a pretty good number of birds within a fairly reasonable range of reno.
sfinney
hunter

Postby DROPDUX » Wed Jan 04, 2006 4:03 pm

vegas is all skybusters, except me of course. :toofunny:

each time I make it out to fallon/stillwater I have done well. except on dec 23rd. There were still birds flying though. They just started filling the lakes up last year and still continue to do so. The bird counts have been increasing the last couple of years.
DROPDUX
hunter

Ducks ?

Postby Sagebrush » Wed Jan 04, 2006 5:26 pm

By the way, between Reno & Carson City there is Washoe Lake.

If you get tired of those little bitty ducks; there are geese out there sometimes.

Today at 9:20 I got a TRIPPLE on HONKERS.......

Can't wait to pick em & get em in my SMOKER !!! la la la .....

Later....Sage
Sagebrush
hunter

3 hrs away

Postby Sagebrush » Fri Jan 06, 2006 10:27 pm

You said you were 3 hours away from SL. Were you down near Richmond or Fish Lake area , by chance? My wife's brother lives down there at Greenwich. Lots of deer,elk & fish.
Sagebrush
hunter

Return to Nevada Duck Hunting