Northern nevada Dove

Nevada’s wide open spaces provide great hunting opportunities. From Sprg to Snow Geese. Discuss here in the Nevada duck hunting forum.

Moderators: NV Guide, Old Duck Getter

Northern nevada Dove

Postby ASmith » Mon Jul 18, 2011 2:38 pm

I posted this in the upland section and got no responses, so I will try it here too, why not.

Just curious if anyone knows a decent place to go for dove season in northern Nevada? I am starting to see a lot of dove here in Winnemucca right now, but I know as soon as that first storm comes they are gone for good, and I have yet to find anywhere to go that holds numbers. Thanks for any help.

And how many of you out there actually dove hunt? How do you go about it? Do you sit next to a field, jump shoot, sit by a watering hole? I hunted them a lot growing up in central cali, so Im just used to sitting next to a bush inbetween there roost and feeding areas. It seems different here as there is no real place for them to roost. again any help would be great. or if you would like to join me on a hunt, or I join you let me know. Im ready for dove.
Hold my beer, watch this!!!

Always looking for a new hunting partner, send a pm.
ASmith
hunter

Re: Northern nevada Dove

Postby Pinny1995 » Mon Jul 18, 2011 2:45 pm

i really have not idea what to....i was going to start this year and i was going to just jump shoot because at a place me and my buddy go we have seen some pretty good numbers.... and we all know if it flies it dies
:biggrin:
Pinny1995
hunter

Postby ASmith » Mon Jul 18, 2011 3:22 pm

Pinny1995 wrote:i really have not idea what to....i was going to start this year and i was going to just jump shoot because at a place me and my buddy go we have seen some pretty good numbers.... and we all know if it flies it dies
:biggrin:

Let me know pinny if you could use a third person sometime. I wouldnt mind driving to Reno for a day if im not workins.

ASmith
hunter

Postby Pinny1995 » Mon Jul 18, 2011 6:37 pm

alright Asmith i will let you know when we figure out when we go
Pinny1995
hunter

Postby creationchris » Tue Jul 19, 2011 9:45 pm

I would have to disagree on the storm theory, in part. It always seems like during dove season I see a crapload of quail and during quail season (later and COLDER, with more storms) I see a crapload of dove. Of course those seasons don't overlap. I do believe that some come and go with the weather but not as many as people think. I have hunted them with success numerous different ways and in many different places of NV. I live up in Lake Tahoe and we have (in my neighborhood) a resident pop of nearly 5-10 pairs of doves. (Not Eurasions) I have no clue why they stay through the winter but they do. Maybe someone is feeding them....who knows.
creationchris
hunter

Postby sthorpe1972 » Tue Jul 26, 2011 9:41 pm

A, I have only hunted dove, quail, and chukar for the last couple years.
like you I grew up in Central Ca, and would wait in the fields. I usually go out behind the Pilot Truck stop (located in fernley nv) and follow the canal road back about a mike or two. They seem to be pretty active out there. Also another promising spot seemed to be off Weeks Road in Silver Springs Nevada. I am going scouting again next week and if I see anything that looks promising I will let you know. Good Luck
sthorpe1972
Newb

Postby cshunter » Wed Jul 27, 2011 8:56 am

first off i do dove hunt. love it. secondly it depends on where you are im up in cold springs so ive hit up a few areas close by. you could always try peavivne, there are some public lands out in sun valley and ive also gone right before you get into the indian reservation up at pyramid. hope that helps.
cshunter
hunter

Postby ASmith » Wed Jul 27, 2011 7:51 pm

Thanks for the help all. I have found a couple spots close by that as of right now are holding a little bit of numbers. I hope they stick around for the opener. I am still planning on hitting the reno area atleast once in hopes of getting some.

ASmith
hunter

Postby huntfishnv » Mon Aug 01, 2011 10:40 pm

Dont over think it, we saw a ton of doves in paradise valley while deer hunting. A bunch in the foot hills of the Santa Rosa's but most of them on private in the valley ask for permission and you might get lucky. :thumbsup:
Nick Roehl wrote:Everything I say is so damn good you need to quote it for your signiture.

Un-expect the expected
huntfishnv
hunter

Postby ASmith » Tue Aug 02, 2011 7:50 pm

Thanks for the info. I was planning on heading up to Paradise my next days off too look around. After these last thunderstorms came through, im seeing a lot more dove around here now so it might turn out to be alright.

ASmith
hunter

Postby huntfishnv » Tue Aug 02, 2011 11:00 pm

Yeah its awesome up there. If the was a lake or river up there to fish I dont think my family or I would ever leave. :lol3:
Nick Roehl wrote:Everything I say is so damn good you need to quote it for your signiture.

Un-expect the expected
huntfishnv
hunter

Postby ASmith » Tue Aug 02, 2011 11:17 pm

There are a couple lakes, reservoirs close by there. you could always go to chimney reservoir and fish all day long for the fun of it. But you wont catch anything until they put fish back in it... :tongue:

I cant wait for my deer season to start October 5th.....be nice to get back out there and do some hunting.

ASmith
hunter

Postby huntfishnv » Tue Aug 02, 2011 11:28 pm

ASmith wrote:There are a couple lakes, reservoirs close by there. you could always go to chimney reservoir and fish all day long for the fun of it. But you wont catch anything until they put fish back in it... :tongue:

I cant wait for my deer season to start October 5th.....be nice to get back out there and do some hunting.

Yeah, you are over on muleymadness to right?

Un-expect the expected
huntfishnv
hunter

Postby ASmith » Wed Aug 03, 2011 12:12 am

Yep, sure am

ASmith
hunter

Postby Pinny1995 » Wed Aug 03, 2011 10:29 pm

just got back from a day scouting trip north of reno for quail and dove saw about 200 of each....just shoot me a pm when your looking to go :thumbsup:
Pinny1995
hunter

Postby basull » Wed Oct 03, 2012 9:17 pm

I have really seen my hunting "success" take a nose dive...dove, ducks,quail, chukar. Chukar is next with our target plan calling for birds coming to water mid-morning. Have seen some quail near Silver Springs, but would love to find some legal shooting areas nearer to Reno.

Looking for mature (I'm 68) hunters to hunt all birds.

Barry
basull
hunter

Postby sanjuandel » Thu Oct 04, 2012 10:55 pm

for what's worth,i lived near the park on e. prater and we had doves all winter long.not all leave or migrate. this was 2 winters ago.
sanjuandel
hunter

Return to Nevada Duck Hunting