Marsh foot sucks!

Nevada’s wide open spaces provide great hunting opportunities. From Sprg to Snow Geese. Discuss here in the Nevada duck hunting forum.

Moderators: NV Guide, Old Duck Getter

Marsh foot sucks!

Postby GaryBHunting » Sun Oct 16, 2011 10:45 am

So went to Stillwater. Not a great shoot, mostly teal and a bill for $1200 for marsh foot/infection etc etc. The guy I was with couldn't shoot a duck in front of him in decent water if it killed him. Always deep in the tules. This is the second time she got this so beware in GH and Stillwater folks.
GaryBHunting
"Talk em in"
GaryBHunting
hunter

Re: Marsh foot sucks!

Postby huntfishnv » Sun Oct 16, 2011 11:25 am

What is marsh foot?
Nick Roehl wrote:Everything I say is so damn good you need to quote it for your signiture.

Un-expect the expected
huntfishnv
hunter

Postby GaryBHunting » Sun Oct 16, 2011 12:12 pm

from what I understand it's when a dogs foot gets punctured by something and pushes marsh mud into the wound which contains super infectious bacteria that is antibiotic resistant. Her foot swelled up to 3 times the size within hours. The Vet is now using a battery of antibiotics and an O2 chamber to get the antibiotics to the wound site. He pulled out mud 9 inches from her foot up the inside of her leg. I hope she makes it.
GaryBHunting
"Talk em in"
GaryBHunting
hunter

Postby cshunter » Sun Oct 16, 2011 1:00 pm

so sorry to hear that man! ive always worried about taking my dog to those places. jw would having them wear the neopream booties have helped? hope the dog pulls through!
cshunter
hunter

Postby creationchris » Sun Oct 16, 2011 5:13 pm

Nothing to write home about after todays shoot either.....Nothing decoying or responding to calls...weird for the begining. Gary--Hope everything works out for the best with the pooch.
creationchris
hunter

Postby RealityKingpin » Sun Oct 16, 2011 8:04 pm

Dang- Good luck...Had a friends dog who got a reed impaled up the dogs foot deep inside! dog Still tried to work! Hope all works out!
RealityKingpin
hunter

Postby NvWaterfowler » Sun Oct 16, 2011 9:34 pm

Hope things turn out all right for your comrade.
"BATTLE BORN"
NvWaterfowler
hunter

Postby GaryBHunting » Mon Oct 17, 2011 1:15 pm

First, thanks for all the well wishes. Shes back home and in good spirits. The pics are from today after treatment over the weekend. The swelling was MUCH worse on Sat.

Final tally for opener $284 per duck! I hope no one else needs to go through this. :fingerhead:
Attachments
Caza-marsh foot 10-2011.jpg
Caza-marsh foot b10-2011.jpg
GaryBHunting
"Talk em in"
GaryBHunting
hunter

Postby NVDuckHunter76 » Mon Oct 17, 2011 1:37 pm

Sorry to hear about your dog Gary. Hopefully, she has a speedy recovery!!!!
HUNTING THE WEST AND BEYOND!!!

Ducks Unlimited Member
Nevada Waterfowl Association Member
NVDuckHunter76
hunter

Postby Goosebuster#1 » Mon Oct 17, 2011 10:58 pm

Wow, still looks bad. Hope she heals fast!
Just because the weather is too bad to go to work, tell me again why I shouldn't go hunting
Goosebuster#1
hunter

Postby Sagebrush » Mon Oct 17, 2011 11:22 pm

Looks like the vet was on top of it............that foot is looking good, hope the recovery is soon and all goes well.

I found glass and bob-wire under the water in areas,plus all the other crap that is out there.

Hope the rest of the season is accident free.................and you can get out soon.
Sagebrush
hunter

Postby amink » Tue Oct 18, 2011 7:33 am

You mentioned the doc was pulling mud out from 9" up her leg. Did something pierce that far up, or was it a hole and the mud just packed up there between the skin underneath? I'm really glad you bud is doing well. My lab has some eye goop going since Sunday, but she seems to not have as much this morning. That Stillwater water is pretty nasty.
amink
hunter

Postby GaryBHunting » Tue Oct 18, 2011 9:27 am

Sagebrush wrote:Looks like the vet was on top of it............that foot is looking good, hope the recovery is soon and all goes well.

I found glass and bob-wire under the water in areas,plus all the other crap that is out there.

Hope the rest of the season is accident free.................and you can get out soon.

Thanks Sage. It looks even better today.
GaryBHunting
"Talk em in"
GaryBHunting
hunter

Postby GaryBHunting » Tue Oct 18, 2011 9:32 am

amink wrote:You mentioned the doc was pulling mud out from 9" up her leg. Did something pierce that far up, or was it a hole and the mud just packed up there between the skin underneath? I'm really glad you bud is doing well. My lab has some eye goop going since Sunday, but she seems to not have as much this morning. That Stillwater water is pretty nasty.

I think it wasn't 9" as the nurse told me over the phone, more like 4-5 up to her first ankle. The Vet said he thought the mud was just getting pushed up more and more as she worked. Never a sign she was hurt. My vet talked to 2 other vets in Fallon and both said the water in GH and Stillwater is below (elevation?) the leach fields for the reclamation plants in the area so you can imagine the bacteria in the water. E-coli, strep, staf the list goes on.
GaryBHunting
"Talk em in"
GaryBHunting
hunter

Marshfoot UPDATE

Postby GaryBHunting » Mon Oct 24, 2011 11:25 am

I posted this on another thread that may not have been seen for this subject. Some may find the information useful so here it is again.

From what the vet (from Lahontan Vet clinic) told me the tules have small very sharp sprouts, roots something that will stick the dog. That usually is the point of entry for the bacteria (s). Of course there could be existing open wounds or other sharp objects in the water. He said they usually don't see many cases later on in the season so maybe it's the cold that keeps the bacteria dormant or kills it off later then earlier. He also said he hadn't seen a case from Stillwater until this year. My personal opinion is because of the warm temps the bacteria is rampant and growing. The vet says the bacteria forms a gas which is what swells the foot so fast and so big. I'm going to try some dog boots I use for upland and see if it hampers her swimming. If not, she'll be wearing those for the duration at least for SW and GH.

The toughest booties I've found are Lewis dog boots. 580-237-1292 but I think you can get them at other online retailers. I would not try using the booties that you find at petsmart or other local retailers.

Antibiotics being used are Metronidazole 500 MG 2 times a day and Cephalexin 500 mg 2 times a day after the vet gave her injections of antibiotics. Epson salt soaks twice a day until the places they had to lance are healed shut. Needless to say, she got it bad.

Some other useful information for weekends are lahontan valley veterinary clinic in Fallon is open until noon on Saturday and you can call their number after hours and get the vet on call. Great Vet compared to Carson Emergency Vet. They took me to the cleaners, thought I was making up "Marshfoot" and treated my dog for an insect bite initially even after I told them what is was. They never heard of it so beware.

Sorry for the long post. I've been living with this for a week and a half now with a much lighter wallet.

Check your dog for swelling soon after leaving the water. The sooner you get your dog to the vet the better off it and your wallet will be. I hope none of you have to deal with this. Good Hunting Folks!!!
GaryBHunting
"Talk em in"
GaryBHunting
hunter

Postby GaryBHunting » Sat Oct 20, 2012 6:18 am

bump just to FYI
GaryBHunting
"Talk em in"
GaryBHunting
hunter

Postby cbrauly » Sun Oct 21, 2012 3:56 pm

I think my black lab Dakota got marsh foot to yesterday in Paranagnat near Vegas. It was his first hunt and did great and I will brag I am very proud of him! But here is what happened....Near the end of the hunt he started licking his right front paw and it looked okay. On the walk out he started limping so I checked for stickers etc and it looked okay. The limping got worse and at the truck one of his toes was very swollen and his paw was blood red. He would not let me touch it all with in an hour. I though he was bitten by something. What scared me was how bad it looked so fast.
Luckily an other hunter and a game warden mentioned Marsh foot to me. The G.W. said his partner's dog almost died from it. I got him to the vet with in a few hours. They gave him some antibiotics and I have 3 different things to give him. There is what looks like a small cut between his toes and looks to me like the source of eveything. His foot looks just like your picture. If he lets me I'm going to try and shave his foot. The vet tried with no luck.
Dakota is acting like himself and he is slowly walking better. I am waiting for it to start looking better. I might try the salt soak on him

Whatever it is I hope Dakota and your dog get better soon.
cbrauly
hunter

Postby GaryBHunting » Sun Oct 21, 2012 4:29 pm

cbrauly wrote:I think my black lab Dakota got marsh foot to yesterday in Paranagnat near Vegas. It was his first hunt and did great and I will brag I am very proud of him! But here is what happened....Near the end of the hunt he started licking his right front paw and it looked okay. On the walk out he started limping so I checked for stickers etc and it looked okay. The limping got worse and at the truck one of his toes was very swollen and his paw was blood red. He would not let me touch it all with in an hour. I though he was bitten by something. What scared me was how bad it looked so fast.
Luckily an other hunter and a game warden mentioned Marsh foot to me. The G.W. said his partner's dog almost died from it. I got him to the vet with in a few hours. They gave him some antibiotics and I have 3 different things to give him. There is what looks like a small cut between his toes and looks to me like the source of eveything. His foot looks just like your picture. If he lets me I'm going to try and shave his foot. The vet tried with no luck.
Dakota is acting like himself and he is slowly walking better. I am waiting for it to start looking better. I might try the salt soak on him

Whatever it is I hope Dakota and your dog get better soon.

This is a post from a year ago and my dog healed fine and I'm sure your pup will too given the right antibiotics. It will take about a week but you should see some progress in a day or so. If not, take him back to the vet. Is your vet familiar with Marsh Foot? If not have him, call the Lahaton vet for information. Hope your pup is up and hunting soon!
GaryBHunting
"Talk em in"
GaryBHunting
hunter

Postby cbrauly » Sun Oct 21, 2012 4:42 pm

Thank you for reposting it and the information. I mentioned marsh foot but I am not sure if they are. We will monitor his foot and if it does not look better in a few days I will take him back to the vet.
cbrauly
hunter

Return to Nevada Duck Hunting