1st Nevada Wood Duck Dinner!!

Nevada’s wide open spaces provide great hunting opportunities. From Sprg to Snow Geese. Discuss here in the Nevada duck hunting forum.

Moderators: NV Guide, Old Duck Getter

1st Nevada Wood Duck Dinner!!

Postby Albifrons » Fri Jul 06, 2012 5:00 pm

Hey guys-
Times are getting a little lean and I need to drum up some $$ to help fund the student-led research going on in the Fallon area. So, NWA has agreed for me, my graduate students, and undergrads in the UNR student chapter of the wildlife society to throw a fundraiser in which the proceeds will go to the waterfowl biology (not habitat) projects we have going on.

Here is what my plan is:
Either September 8 or 15. 8th seems more likely as only competing against balloon races, rather than air races. Will happen in Fallon.

Activities:
Duck Banding - We'll be trapping for pre-season banding full time. People can come out and help us band >300 ducks that day
Wood Duck box building - Gonna try to get materials donated so people can help build boxes which will be used for the project. The 344 boxes we have up now are producing about 10% of the wood duck ducklings each year in the Fallon area
Sporting Clays shoot - We are looking into having a homemade sporting clays shoot on private land. We are still looking into a property where we could do this.
Dinner, raffle, and auctions - Home cooked meal prepared by all the students.

Some donations so far include:
5 day, 1 person hunt at Cold Bay Alaska with Four Flyways Outfitters. Airfare will likely be included. Salmon, 8 pintails/day, black brant, cacklers, ptarmigan.

one week, one person birding trip to Adak, Alaska with Adak Birders led by Isaac Helmericks, who is a famous birder. Hoping to include airfare as well.

Hunt with Norcal waterfowl in San Franciso Bay.

I'll be throwing in some hand carved decoys (busy making a bunch of cedar sleeper canvasbacks now), some wood duck photos, a 3 day photo shoot in our awesome permanent blind, and a chance for 4 people to sit in the blind and SHOOT THE NET THEMSELVES.

So, I'll keep you updated. I could really use some donations. We could use: cash for purchasing guns, many smaller items for the raffle, and we are going to set up an account with Alaska Airlines to accept donations of frequent flyer miles. We are not buying anything, like a gun list. Everything has to be donated. Please help if you can! This wood duck project is probably the most unique study looking at how harvest impacts waterfowl populations and could help inform decisions with waterfowl hunting regulations.

I'll keep updating this thread as things solidify.

Thanks,
Chris
chris.a.nicolai@gmail.com
Albifrons
hunter

Re: 1st Nevada Wood Duck Dinner!!

Postby Albifrons » Fri Jul 20, 2012 10:08 pm

Got some new updates.
1) We are going to scale back a bit. Just a dinner, presentation, auction, and raffle.
2) September 8, 2012
3) Dry Gulch Saloon at the Churchill County Fairgrounds.

Could use help with donations. We are looking to raise money to buy a used truck and field items for the wood duck project.

Will post up more as we work out more details.
Albifrons
hunter

Return to Nevada Duck Hunting