Career change

Nevada’s wide open spaces provide great hunting opportunities. From Sprg to Snow Geese. Discuss here in the Nevada duck hunting forum.

Moderators: NV Guide, Old Duck Getter

Career change

Postby Old Duck Getter » Fri Jul 06, 2012 8:33 pm

Well I'm looking into making a change. I know with the economy like it is it may not be the best choice but I'm not liking what is going on in my job. I have an interveiw next week for a new job. It is offering about $10 more per hour and better benifites, but I have to be away from home half the month. It's 7 on 7 off, which will be a big change from 6 on and 1 off or 13 on and 1 off that I've been working since Jan. I'm not getting any younger and I'm tired off not having any time for myself or family. So I think if they make an offer I'm going to take it. If you had this choice would you go?

old duck
Old Duck Getter
State Moderator

Re: Career change

Postby SIL3NT T3 » Fri Jul 06, 2012 9:38 pm

Happiness for me is the key. So I would say if this gets you to where you can spend time with family and thats is happiness go for it.
SIL3NT T3
hunter

Postby towgunner » Sat Jul 07, 2012 3:19 pm

Jump on it ODG!!! :thumbsup: The consecutive time off in itself is worth it.. If I didn't have three kids I would take a pay cut for an NDOW WMA position just to be working around what I enjoy.
towgunner
hunter

Postby DuckManWest » Wed Jul 11, 2012 4:20 pm

The pay increase, 7 on, 7 off, improved benefits and more time with the family sounds awesome! the improved benefits in itself is a big plus!
Good luck with your decision! :thumbsup:
DuckManWest
DuckManWest
hunter

Postby GaryBHunting » Wed Jul 11, 2012 5:50 pm

Retire Old Man! :lol3: J/K Glad you have a choice Frank. :boxing:
GaryBHunting
"Talk em in"
GaryBHunting
hunter

Postby renoduckman » Fri Jul 13, 2012 10:36 pm

Yes try it Frank. And pm me if you ever get any time to go shot some trap!
A bad day hunting beats a good day at work
renoduckman
hunter

Postby Old Duck Getter » Tue Jul 17, 2012 8:19 pm

Went to the interview last week. I was very interesting to say the least. It's 3 1/2 hours from where I live, but that's OK. They offer free housing for when they work and per diem at $30 a day. The wages are good I guess for being out in the sticks. The only problems is their maintenance crew calls for 12. If I take the job I'll be number 5. They said they just can't find people. The money is good. Their equipment is only a year old, but the maintenance crew doesn't get the time off as production does. Production work 7 on and 7 off. Maintenance works 10 on and 4 off. With 12 hours shifts, my being 64, that's a lot of hours. One of the reasons for a job change was to get more time for family, hunting and fishing. So I don't think I'm going to take this one. I've found 3 more jobs like this, but with the time off I'm looking for, that I have interviews for. I'll let you all know how it goes.

old duck
Old Duck Getter
State Moderator

Postby GaryBHunting » Tue Jul 17, 2012 8:53 pm

Old Duck Getter wrote:Went to the interview last week. I was very interesting to say the least. It's 3 1/2 hours from where I live, but that's OK. They offer free housing for when they work and per diem at $30 a day. The wages are good I guess for being out in the sticks. The only problems is their maintenance crew calls for 12. If I take the job I'll be number 5. They said they just can't find people. The money is good. Their equipment is only a year old, but the maintenance crew doesn't get the time off as production does. Production work 7 on and 7 off. Maintenance works 10 on and 4 off. With 12 hours shifts, my being 64, that's a lot of hours. One of the reasons for a job change was to get more time for family, hunting and fishing. So I don't think I'm going to take this one. I've found 3 more jobs like this, but with the time off I'm looking for, that I have interviews for. I'll let you all know how it goes.

old duck

Wow! I thought it might be local with A. I'll be in Ely starting the 6th. Good luck Frank. I'll give you a call.
GaryBHunting
"Talk em in"
GaryBHunting
hunter

Postby SIL3NT T3 » Tue Jul 17, 2012 10:29 pm

Gary Ely huh That's my stompin grounds born and raised there
SIL3NT T3
hunter

Postby GaryBHunting » Tue Jul 17, 2012 10:51 pm

SIL3NT T3 wrote:Gary Ely huh That's my stompin grounds born and raised there

Yep, gonna be working for Ndot.
GaryBHunting
"Talk em in"
GaryBHunting
hunter

Postby Sagebrush » Mon Jul 30, 2012 10:34 pm

Main thing is to have a job to pay the bills, right now.

Sorry the job did not work out but sounds like you have other hooks in the water,which is a plus.

Hope you find that rainbow and get to retire in the years ahead.
Sagebrush
hunter

Return to Nevada Duck Hunting