Greenhead?Stillwater Scouting?

Nevada’s wide open spaces provide great hunting opportunities. From Sprg to Snow Geese. Discuss here in the Nevada duck hunting forum.

Moderators: NV Guide, Old Duck Getter

Greenhead?Stillwater Scouting?

Postby fishonzac » Mon Aug 06, 2012 1:33 pm

First off I would like to say hi to everyone as I am new to the boards but definitely not new to hunting. I have a few questions that I hope someone can chime in and answer.

Does anyone know when they will start to fill the ponds at Greenhead or has anyone been out yet to check the conditions? I do most of my hunting down in the Minden/Gardnerville area and have only been to Greenhead a few times.

Basiclly same question for Stillwater if anyone knows the conditions or wants to go scout around I will drive shoot me a pm

Last and final taking out a good friends son for junior day was thinking Stillwater and signing up for the junior day out there and was just seeing everyones thoughts

Zac
fishonzac
hunter

Re: Greenhead?Stillwater Scouting?

Postby NVDuckHunter76 » Mon Aug 06, 2012 2:21 pm

Last year I scouted Greenhead about 3 weeks before the season. Everything was already filled in. I can't speak for Stillwater. I "heard" Ken passed away at GH, so I'm not sure if thats gonna have any change on the club.
HUNTING THE WEST AND BEYOND!!!

Ducks Unlimited Member
Nevada Waterfowl Association Member
National Rifle Assocation Member
NVDuckHunter76
hunter

Postby NVCanvasback » Mon Aug 06, 2012 4:54 pm

Are you talking about the "Wetlands and Wings" youth waterfowl hunt?
NVCanvasback
hunter

Postby fishonzac » Mon Aug 06, 2012 8:57 pm

That is sad to hear about Ken I had heard so many good things about him. I was thinking about heading out in a week or two just to see what things were looking like.
NVCanvasback yeah that was the name Wetlands and Wings. I was thinking about going to a local spot down here in Gardnerville but that thing sounded neat have you heard anything about it?
fishonzac
hunter

Postby NVCanvasback » Tue Aug 07, 2012 7:54 am

Although I am able to go, I personally have not. It seems a bit confusing because on the sign up flyer it says the junior hunt days are on October 5&6 but according to some proposals, the hunt is on September 29th, but you can take a kid hunting using your own gear.

http://www.fws.gov/stillwater/hunting/documents/2012_appl_wtlnd_wng_form.pdf this is the pdf application form
NVCanvasback
hunter

Postby fishonzac » Tue Aug 07, 2012 8:57 am

I had checked out the same flyer yesterday stumbled upon on it while searching for some different maps. From everything I have heard it looks to be the 6th but I'm not sure if that is set in stone. That was also my next question if you could just head out there and do your own thing. He is 13 or 14 so this will be his first expierance so I hope it goes well
fishonzac
hunter

Postby NVCanvasback » Tue Aug 07, 2012 3:16 pm

I think that you probably will have to abide by their rules. You can always take a kid on junior day using your equipment though.
NVCanvasback
hunter

Return to Nevada Duck Hunting