Duck calling tips...

Nevada’s wide open spaces provide great hunting opportunities. From Sprg to Snow Geese. Discuss here in the Nevada duck hunting forum.

Moderators: NV Guide, Old Duck Getter

Duck calling tips...

Postby halfspin19 » Mon Aug 06, 2012 8:29 pm

Hey everyone...
This will be my second season duck hunting in NV and some calling help so that this season will be more successful. I have been practicing a lot but it just doesn't seem like I'm getting any better. Any ideas?....other than YouTube.

Thanks
halfspin19
hunter

Re: Duck calling tips...

Postby fishonzac » Mon Aug 06, 2012 9:01 pm

Yeah YouTube is tough what I think the biggest thing that helped me and I'm no pro if finding one of your friends or someone you know who is good and can help you. Just my 2 cents
fishonzac
hunter

Postby NVCanvasback » Mon Aug 06, 2012 9:25 pm

Check out this link http://www.ducks.org/hunting/duck-calling it might help you.
NVCanvasback
hunter

Postby NVDuckHunter76 » Tue Aug 07, 2012 8:26 am

Halfspin19,

Videos can only teach you so much. Like already stated, get with some guys that are decent callers and try to gets some tips. Remember calling is only half the battle at times. I know PLENTY of great duck hunters that don't blow a single call while hunting locally around here. They put out a good spread of decoys and let the ducks come to them. Some guys have that special touch. Personally, I like blowing on a call and it has worked for me during my time as a waterfowler. Goodluck!!!
HUNTING THE WEST AND BEYOND!!!

Ducks Unlimited Member
Nevada Waterfowl Association Member
National Rifle Assocation Member
NVDuckHunter76
hunter

Postby SIL3NT T3 » Tue Aug 07, 2012 8:42 am

I'm on my 3rd year and I have called in geese and ducks and at times felt like I did more harm than good and others just amazed at watching birds talk back. Other than the ultimate getting with someone who can call Spend lots of time in the field and and you'll soon catch on I have spent countless hours in the field to get to where I am at now. There are days that I still can't get it done
SIL3NT T3
hunter

Postby fishonzac » Tue Aug 07, 2012 9:03 am

Lots of good advice on here and sometimes just a little chuckle is enough to make birds lock on. Couldn't agree more I have watched guys just call and call and the birds will lock onto some else's good looking decoy spread that did no calling
fishonzac
hunter

Postby creationchris » Thu Aug 09, 2012 6:09 pm

Go sit by a pond with lots of ducks NOT during hunting season, like right now. Sit and listen and observe. You can take in way more when you don't have the distraction of a gun in your hand. I'm fortunate enough that I work on the water and am ALWAYS watching the birds and the sounds they are making while coming and going. I think I learn more during the off season than with a gun in my hand.
creationchris
hunter

Duck calling tips...

Postby Podcast » Thu Aug 09, 2012 6:18 pm

creationchris wrote:Go sit by a pond with lots of ducks NOT during hunting season, like right now. Sit and listen and observe. You can take in way more when you don't have the distraction of a gun in your hand. I'm fortunate enough that I work on the water and am ALWAYS watching the birds and the sounds they are making while coming and going. I think I learn more during the off season than with a gun in my hand.

That's the best advice I've seen on this site as far as actual hunting is concerned.
Stage 2 GTR rippin up a 1746 custom Mike Kliebert
Podcast
hunter

Postby halfspin19 » Fri Aug 10, 2012 6:30 am

Thanks for all the advice... I actually did go to a pond last weekend and just observed. It definitely helped.
halfspin19
hunter

Duck calling tips...

Postby Podcast » Fri Aug 10, 2012 7:42 am

Just listen and mimic what you hear. Practice right then and there do you can replicate the sound.
Podcast
hunter

Postby FlyFishingFreak » Sat Aug 11, 2012 11:29 am

agreed x10 with podcast and chris. But all the listening in the world wont help actually blowing the call. I got the Buck Gardner beginner call CD and I would listen to it and blow my call in my truck. Dont mess with the call, its tuned fine. The problem is the novice caller. And listen to the instructions exactly. Adjust to you hunting needs (I dont think I have ever had luck with a hail call). It will feel weird at first but it falls into place. Do what the experts say and practice. For goose calling I got the Lynch mob DVD and it is awesome. I met George at the Cabelas thing one year he was awesome. Perfect practice makes perfect.

I have shot ducks with no calling, I have shot ducks with chuckles, I have shot ducks that I have worked for minutes, but it depends on the day and how they are working and responding. Good calling is not important, the spot and decoys are. Good luck.
FlyFishingFreak
hunter

Postby creationchris » Sat Aug 11, 2012 7:03 pm

FlyFishingFreak wrote:agreed x10 with podcast and chris. But all the listening in the world wont help actually blowing the call. I got the Buck Gardner beginner call CD and I would listen to it and blow my call in my truck. Dont mess with the call, its tuned fine. The problem is the novice caller. And listen to the instructions exactly. Adjust to you hunting needs (I dont think I have ever had luck with a hail call). It will feel weird at first but it falls into place. Do what the experts say and practice. For goose calling I got the Lynch mob DVD and it is awesome. I met George at the Cabelas thing one year he was awesome. Perfect practice makes perfect.

I have shot ducks with no calling, I have shot ducks with chuckles, I have shot ducks that I have worked for minutes, but it depends on the day and how they are working and responding. Good calling is not important, the spot and decoys are. Good luck.

Well, I didn't think I needed to mention to bring your call with ya! Figured that was a no brainer!
I go with the philosophy of less is more, and that is just from personal experience. I've seen more ducks do a u-turn and respond to single light quacks than anything else. I keep a call in my boat, rig, my wifes rig and anywhere where I might have time to play with it during the off season. Always trying to find new ways to produce different sounds.
creationchris
hunter

Duck calling tips...

Postby Podcast » Sun Aug 12, 2012 9:19 am

I was lucky enough ta learn from a national champ. The one series outside a that, that helped me was the RNT trie CD series. There's an amazing amount a info including how ta read the birds and adapt yet calling technique with, IMO, the best callers in the world including Buck himself.
Podcast
hunter

Postby GaryBHunting » Sun Aug 12, 2012 10:40 am

What helped me the most was having an experienced caller give me feed back on what I sounded like. I even recorded myself calling trying to match the CD or DVD I was learning from to see if I sounded the same. I had a tin ear and thought I sounded pretty good until I compared it to the cd or dvd side by side. It's kind of like watching yourself fly casting on video so you know what you are actually doing not what you think you are doing. good luck!

gb
GaryBHunting
"Talk em in"
GaryBHunting
hunter

Duck calling tips...

Postby Gizzle86 » Sun Aug 12, 2012 11:17 am

This is what I do I try and push myself to learn new calls and push to add to what I know. I record myself everytime I call so you always can find the little things you've done wrong... Pm me man I can tell you more.. I felt the same way but now I can come from a greeting to a bouncing hen to a feed to a bouncing hen to a comeback and now I'm trying to get into a refuge call... Literally the hardest one I've tried... Fun though to here yourself getting better and better
Gizzle86
hunter

Duck calling tips...

Postby Podcast » Sun Aug 12, 2012 11:48 am

Another good tip is ta find a call that fits ya. Don't just use what someone says works or just get the most expensive call etc. Go ta cabelas er wherever and try em all out. Find a mouth piece that is comfortable and a call that allows ya ta use the air volume yer comfortable with.
Podcast
hunter

Duck calling tips...

Postby Gizzle86 » Sun Aug 12, 2012 12:20 pm

I find that the duck commander cichbola(spelling) is the best for all around air to sound and cadence ratio. It doesn't take as much air and easy to blow a note for an inexperienced caller that and the buck garner I forget the series clear with black is the only 2 I can hit the bouncing hen note fast and draw it out. YouTube has a guy that does really good training routines.. Freestyleoutdoors... Search him on you tube. He is really good at teaching for me at least
Gizzle86
hunter

Postby halfspin19 » Sun Aug 12, 2012 2:07 pm

Recorded myself today, sounds completely different when I play it back. By "different" i mean better. Maybe my ears are part of the problem lol.
halfspin19
hunter

Return to Nevada Duck Hunting