Boats on Washoe

Nevada’s wide open spaces provide great hunting opportunities. From Sprg to Snow Geese. Discuss here in the Nevada duck hunting forum.

Moderators: NV Guide, Old Duck Getter

Boats on Washoe

Postby DuckManWest » Sun Sep 09, 2012 10:10 pm

FYI to those of you that are scouting and will be hunting Washoe with your boats.
I put in on the north ramp on Saturday. Tires completely off concrete backing in. Quite a ways to float the boat off trailer.
Once up and running, as you head towards the willow island Northwest of the ramp you will notice what appears to be ducks in the water. nope.....Rocks and lots of them! I suggest you tread lightly around this area. I did not spend a lot of time out there.
I know that I high centered on submerged rocks once. From that point I got out and walked it around to deep water on the South.
Just a head's up. not like last year! I would hate to see someone punch a hole through there boat or eat a mud prop!!
Be safe
DuckManWest
DuckManWest
hunter

Re: Boats on Washoe

Postby NVDuckHunter76 » Mon Sep 10, 2012 7:30 am

Thanks for the heads up. I'll be out on Thursday to just run the boat. I'll head south to deeper water.
HUNTING THE WEST AND BEYOND!!!

Ducks Unlimited Member
Nevada Waterfowl Association Member
National Rifle Assocation Member
NVDuckHunter76
hunter

Postby sanjuandel » Mon Sep 10, 2012 11:16 am

has little washoe ever dried up? i moved down here last fall,so i guess i'm a newbie. thanks.
sanjuandel
hunter

Postby DuckManWest » Mon Sep 10, 2012 12:26 pm

It can all dry up. Depending on how bad the drought is. For the 20 years I have lived out here, It has been a huge dust bowl on several occasions. This place is dependent on run off from the West slope. little snow pack last winter, and if it does not produce good snow this winter, we will be in trouble.
The Carson river is is all but about dry through Brunswick canyon.
Pray for rain and snow!!
DuckManWest
DuckManWest
hunter

Postby sanjuandel » Mon Sep 10, 2012 10:31 pm

not suprised. we moved down here to washoe last august,and am still learning the area. i'm in retail,so my hours suck at times. i am going to iowa in oct. for pheasants,then back to the birdies here.thanks.
sanjuandel
hunter

Postby fishonzac » Tue Sep 11, 2012 8:43 am

This is a little off Topic but the Carson river in Gardnerville is next to gone and if it doesn't change soon there will only be a few sink holes left. Anyone seen the Carson out of or around Lahontan?
fishonzac
hunter

Postby Old Duck Getter » Tue Sep 11, 2012 8:30 pm

Have not had water running into Lahotan from the river in over a month. The lake is goingto be a mud hole again this year.

old duck
Old Duck Getter
State Moderator

Postby Sagebrush » Wed Sep 12, 2012 10:07 am

The way it sounds, we might have to share the water more this season ,the way it is shrinking.

Might have to bring a card table and chips if it gets real bad......................and take turns on the water?
Sagebrush
hunter

Postby DuckManWest » Wed Sep 12, 2012 2:57 pm

Nice! A little card playing for first out on the water!! LOL
Yes, the mud holes are coming if the weather does not start to cooperate!!
DuckManWest
DuckManWest
hunter

Postby NVduck » Mon Sep 17, 2012 9:19 am

Speaking of Lahontan does anyone hunt out there? Ive fished it and played out there in the summer and seen birds at the south end but is it worth hunting? If so any pointers would be appriciated, I do have a boat.
mcqueenmetalfab.com
NVduck
hunter

Return to Nevada Duck Hunting