Choke suggestion for boys first shotgun

Nevada’s wide open spaces provide great hunting opportunities. From Sprg to Snow Geese. Discuss here in the Nevada duck hunting forum.

Moderators: NV Guide, Old Duck Getter

Choke suggestion for boys first shotgun

Postby RealityKingpin » Sat Sep 15, 2012 10:48 am

I just bought my 12 yr old son a rem 870 jr compact 20 guage. He is getting set to hunt the youth hunt for duck and I have no experience with the 20 gauges , particularly from this small of a gun. It came with the factory mod of course. Any load choke combos you would suggest just to get started? He is small for his age but handling the gun fairly well.

P
RealityKingpin
hunter

Re: Choke suggestion for boys first shotgun

Postby Pinny1995 » Sat Sep 15, 2012 4:57 pm

Improved or modified
Pinny1995
hunter

Postby dieselduck » Mon Sep 17, 2012 12:39 pm

For early season I would suggest improved cylinder with 3" 3 or 4. You'll have to pattern the gun to see what loads it likes. The wider the lethal shot pattern you can get the better for a youngster. May have to step up to a modified later in the season or if your getting a lot of cripples.
dieselduck
hunter

Postby RealityKingpin » Mon Sep 17, 2012 8:00 pm

Sounds good.... Gunna get a couple boxes n start testing.....
RealityKingpin
hunter

Postby Goosecrazy » Tue Sep 18, 2012 4:17 pm

Improved cylinder. :thumbsup:
Goosecrazy
hunter

Postby A5Mag » Tue Sep 18, 2012 10:41 pm

Unless the factory choke tube is stamped "Modified Steel Shot", steel hot constriction for "Factory Mod" will likely be equivalent to full choke.

Improved cylinder choke with smaller shot size=less restriction=less recoil=less flinch. I even tried to purchase the cylinder choke for my son's shotgun several years ago.

For initial success for beginner, suggest 2 3/4 #4 shot @ around 1,200 fps at shots between 25-35 yards. Kid can get an fair idea of how far this is by marker decoys, clearly seeing duck's eye, pre-season helium balloon on kite string out to 25-30 yards, etc.

Some adults have had excellent success with 20-gauge using #6 shot over decoys probably no more than 25-30 yard shots.

A no-no is getting 3-inch mag 1,500+ fps shells on the market for a first-time beginner.
A5Mag
hunter

Postby dieselduck » Thu Sep 20, 2012 8:06 pm

First gun I ever shot clays with (age 9) was a ruger red label in 12ga... Kicked like a mule and I was fine. I think kids will get used to whatever you get them, and 20ga 3" loads would most likely put more dead birds in the water. Just my opinion.
dieselduck
hunter

Postby Yard Goose » Thu Sep 20, 2012 8:58 pm

dieselduck wrote:First gun I ever shot clays with (age 9) was a ruger red label in 12ga... Kicked like a mule and I was fine. I think kids will get used to whatever you get them, and 20ga 3" loads would most likely put more dead birds in the water. Just my opinion.

Agreed... Remember being sore for a while. Started with a youth twenty and know,play with a custom steel barreled twelve.. Remeber using high dallor loads like one and three eights number twos... Good Luck!!!
Let Wads Fly And Feathers Fall!!
Yard Goose
hunter

Postby RealityKingpin » Thu Sep 20, 2012 11:29 pm

Great tips guys , thanks,,,,, he's a ver small 12 but has done pretty well handling the shotgun so far..... He will get his first chance oct 20 that the youth hunt.........Paul
RealityKingpin
hunter

Postby dieselduck » Tue Sep 25, 2012 9:54 am

I would also add that its more important that the gun fit him somewhat decently. If it feels like a brick and kicks like a mule he may have a hard time. It doesnt take much to slim the forend and drop the LOP a little bit if its a little long, plus there are tons of aftermarket parts for the 870 so you can always pick u regular size stock and barrel up cheap. If you are in the Reno area I would be happy to help you.
dieselduck
hunter

Postby Sagebrush » Tue Sep 25, 2012 10:29 am

Lead modified choke is equal to a steel FULL choke..............so a lead I/M or even a Skeet lead choke will work
with shots from 40 yards in. Steel has a shorter "String" and tighter "Cone" than lead pellets in its patterns,so
chokes that are more open will give your son the best pattern , than a Steel full choke which is best at 40 + yard shooting.

If you are shooting mostly close ranges, #4 steel would be my choice for maximum pellets in the air, for the young man.

Good hunting.
Sagebrush
hunter

Postby RealityKingpin » Tue Sep 25, 2012 4:48 pm

Thanks diesel but alas I'm a southerner. ...Remington now makes a jr compact 870 that is adjustable.....it fits him pretty good.....just having no experience with a 20 huge I was curious if the effective range on ducks out of this short barreled shotgun would be limited to like 20 yards......he's busting clays with the modified lead target rounds out to I'd say 25-30 yards.....I'm thinking some 3 inch 4 's...I'm going hunting for a couple of weeks then when I get back illpattern some.....l.i guessi should buy a IC as well....thanks sagebrush for intel.
RealityKingpin
hunter

Return to Nevada Duck Hunting