Nevada Youth Hunt Question

Nevada’s wide open spaces provide great hunting opportunities. From Sprg to Snow Geese. Discuss here in the Nevada duck hunting forum.

Moderators: NV Guide, Old Duck Getter

Nevada Youth Hunt Question

Postby Goosecrazy » Thu Sep 27, 2012 12:26 am

Apparantly the new gut at the Greenhead hunt club is clueless, not trying to attack him but somebody over there needs to educate him. Correct me if I am wrong, but a youth hunter under 12 does not need a pasture pass as long as they are with an adult who has a pasture pass, correct.
Goosecrazy
hunter

Re: Nevada Youth Hunt Question

Postby Wap98 » Thu Sep 27, 2012 5:36 am

That's is correct sir. That's what I was always told
Wap98
hunter

Postby Wap98 » Thu Sep 27, 2012 9:54 am

Talked to the people at Mark fore and they told me you don't have to buy a permit until they are 16
Wap98
hunter

Postby Goosecrazy » Thu Sep 27, 2012 1:55 pm

Cool, thanks for the info. I'm already missing Ken out there. Hopefully there will be no issues Saturday morning, taking my 11 yr old son out there to get some shootin in.
Goosecrazy
hunter

Postby creationchris » Thu Sep 27, 2012 5:48 pm

True: But it is private, and the perhaps the rules have changed.......???????????
creationchris
hunter

Postby GaryBHunting » Sat Sep 29, 2012 11:09 am

creationchris wrote:True: But it is private, and the perhaps the rules have changed.......???????????

I'm pretty sure it transferred to NDOW. They just let Ken stay there in the same capacity.
GaryBHunting
"Talk em in"
GaryBHunting
hunter

Postby bullrush » Mon Oct 01, 2012 9:37 am

Hunters 15 and younger do not need a permit and are allowed to go as a young hunter with a permit holder..high school students (16-19) are required to purchase a student pass ($25) to hunt...NDOW has not taken over the operation, still under same agreement and will be for several years to come. Bob Wilson is the new caretaker and is working hard to get the system down.. there is always some confusion the first few weeks with a new caretaker hopefully he will do fine..Ken will be missed for sure.
bullrush
hunter

Re: sorry off topic with clarification.

Postby GaryBHunting » Mon Oct 01, 2012 2:50 pm

bullrush wrote:NDOW has not taken over the operation, still under same agreement and will be for several years to come.

Hi Gary,

The Carson Lake and Pasture property is actually owned by the Bureau of Land Management but is operated as part of the Newlands Irrigation Project by the Bureau of Reclamation (BOR). NDOW manages some of the water flows (those directly associated with the wetland areas), manages marsh vegetation, public use facilities etc. through a Memorandum of Understanding with BOR. The Greenhead Gun Club administers the fee program (hunters are charged to hunt on the area) through an agreement with BOR. The cattle grazing program is administered by the Truckee Carson Irrigation District through an agreement that they have with BOR. Bottom line……it’s a very complicated arrangement but that’s how it is right now.

With that said, Public Law 101-618 was passed by Congress in 1990 and that authorizes the federal government to transfer the land in question to the State of Nevada (essentially NDOW) for management as a Wildlife Management Area. A short 22 years later, that has not been completed but the process is inching forward and hopefully that transfer will be completed while I’m still alive. If the transfer is completed, then all management of the property would be under NDOW’s authority.

I hope that answers your questions.

Elmer Bull
Habitat Division Chief
Nevada Department of Wildlife
GaryBHunting
"Talk em in"
GaryBHunting
hunter

Postby bullrush » Mon Oct 01, 2012 4:11 pm

correct ..they have not taken over yet..Caretaker is an employee of the Greenhead not NDOW.. Salary is paid by the club..you stated that they took over and kept Ken around..Current operating situation has not changed since 1977..Prior to public law 101-618 it was operated under what was called the Fleischman agreement and the Carson Lake advisory committee- consisting of NDOW-TCID-Greenhead..Permit structure has been the same (with the exeception of a $10 increase to season pass) since 1978.
Proir to 1977 it was held in lease by the Greenhead club under two renewable 25 year leases, starting in 1927..Even when under lease it was basically a public hunting, with a fee structure similar to the current one.
bullrush
hunter

Postby GaryBHunting » Mon Oct 01, 2012 4:21 pm

Would you mind identifying your affiliation with the entities involved? You seem pretty sure of yourself with only 1 day on this forum and 2 posts.
GaryBHunting
"Talk em in"
GaryBHunting
hunter

Postby bullrush » Tue Oct 02, 2012 9:27 am

Not at all...I have been a Greenhead member for a long time.....still stay up on the happenings out there.. Just wanted to answer the gentlemans question on the fees and caretaker..please feel free to crossreference any info I provided...greenhead has a web site now I believe www.greenheadhuntingclub.com with contact numbers if you have any questions....
bullrush
hunter

Postby Goosecrazy » Thu Oct 04, 2012 10:23 pm

Since you are answering questions about Greenhead, and very knowlegible. I got another one. Why are ATV's prohibtited out there, 1st I am not advocating taking ATV's off the roads currently used by vehicles, but that place turns into pea soup when water gets on the roads. So why can't an ATV be used only on the roads currently used for travel. It should were be safer to use an ATV than have someone go off into a canal in a vehicle and drown.
Goosecrazy
hunter

Return to Nevada Duck Hunting