Washoe Lake Update

Nevada’s wide open spaces provide great hunting opportunities. From Sprg to Snow Geese. Discuss here in the Nevada duck hunting forum.

Moderators: NV Guide, Old Duck Getter

Re: Washoe Lake Update

Postby fishonzac » Fri Oct 26, 2012 1:32 pm

Where is the THIS POST IS WORTHLESS WITHOUT PICTURES? That's pretty awesome you can call geese in without decoys! Wish all birds were like that no more deeks to carry
fishonzac
hunter

Postby Yard Goose » Fri Oct 26, 2012 8:31 pm

DuckManWest wrote:Come On Snipe!! :lol: You are killing me!!!! :lol:
Mason with a good spread, decent calling and the birds are working the refuge....I will give you benefit of the doubt on that one.
Washoe.......SERIOUSLY........Not yet
Probably not a good idea to be telling everyone Washoe is on fire now... It is not. Lucky to see a few birds right now. People hunting all around it and no place for birds to go. Somebody going to read the post, drive far, hunt without decoys, just a call, get skunked and be peed off! :mad: THAT would be kind of funny in a twisted sort of way.

Just busting your acorns! :hammer:

Heading out there now to see what's not there!

Good Hunting, All!!!!

Dido!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Let Wads Fly And Feathers Fall!!
Yard Goose
hunter

Postby snipe hunter » Sat Oct 27, 2012 10:30 am

Lol...nope guys iam just a normal hunter just like you guys...yikes belding! Them fighting words, I dont even wanted to be associated with that guy in the same sentence. well from my view on scouting washoe there are alot of birds and geese if you know where to look...I will say this I watched some idiots into the wetlands do nothing but sky blast birds....and everyone wonders why the birds are so weary....we did go out that day and did ok still some specks out there but very cautious. if your going to go out to washoe definitely take the time to glass the lake...headed to stillwater iam feeling like teal for dinner!
Tanglefree Waterfowl
Nevada Field Rep/Pro staff
http://www.tanglefree.com
12 Gauge Outfitters LLC
Master Hunting Guide
http://www.12gaugeoutfitters.net
snipe hunter
hunter

Postby FlyFishingFreak » Sat Oct 27, 2012 10:57 am

You must have the best teal call on the market.
FlyFishingFreak
hunter

Postby creationchris » Sat Oct 27, 2012 12:19 pm

:crying: :crying: :cry
mallardmaven wrote:I don't like advertising on this thread. Isn't there a spot on here for you to appropriately sell your ware?
:crying: :crying: :crying: :crying: :crying: :crying: :crying: :crying:
creationchris
hunter

Postby SIL3NT T3 » Sat Oct 27, 2012 7:40 pm

Can't help but chime in Them calls sure do work I am a testimonial I went to the black rock desert today wearing blaze orange right smack in the middle with no decoys I limited in 20 minutes :lol:
SIL3NT T3
hunter

Postby fishonzac » Sat Oct 27, 2012 8:53 pm

Oh man I want to diddo all of the last comments! I cant wait to read the Stillwater teal report I'm sure limits for 5 and they all landed in your boat for you to take them home. There are some serious no joke Washoe hunters here that live there you must have the golden spot! After reading your posts I'm done with deeks and just going to use those calls so much easier what the hell have the rest of us been doing???? :bow:
fishonzac
hunter

Postby NVDuckHunter76 » Sun Oct 28, 2012 7:31 am

Washoe has birds? :eek:
HUNTING THE WEST AND BEYOND!!!

Ducks Unlimited Member
Nevada Waterfowl Association Member
NVDuckHunter76
hunter

Postby DuckManWest » Sun Oct 28, 2012 4:58 pm

You gotta admit, this thread is a blast in a twisted sort of way! :yes:
I prowled around the wetlands most of Friday. All the way around. I saw the Goose hunters, a few duck hunters on the South end and JackWagon MORONS trying to ambush what is left of the geese utilizing their girlie truck!! I sat back with the spotting scope and observed. Of course...they failed at the attempt. It was definitely comical!!
I found a few spots on the North where some pea brains tried to drive across the mud..... they didnt make it :no:
On a positive note, the birds I did see were having a blast out in the middle of the big water! Swimming and playing with their other feathered friends. Seemed to be a few more out there than last time. Me and the pup are going out in the morning. I hear a half dozen shots at sun up every day. Who knows!! :beer:
DuckManWest
DuckManWest
hunter

Postby NVDuckHunter76 » Sun Oct 28, 2012 5:34 pm

Get'em Mark!
HUNTING THE WEST AND BEYOND!!!

Ducks Unlimited Member
Nevada Waterfowl Association Member
NVDuckHunter76
hunter

Postby SIL3NT T3 » Sun Oct 28, 2012 5:48 pm

Whats even funnier is headed out there this morning and duckman is correct every person that has 1400 decoys a peice is out there setting up of course the usual 5 minutes before shooting time I had a laydown in the water. Watched the group to my right borderline sky to galaxie bust the geese 5 flared off and really liked what I had to offer all duck decoys set and boom boom :hammer: 2 down. :grooving: Then the guys behind me and to the left by the boat ramp area out in the sticks had some fly over and definatly galaxie busted them I swear I could see tongues sticking out of the geeses mouth from laughter anyhooo quite interesting, was my first time this year at washoe.

BTW No I did not have a Posse call :lol3:
SIL3NT T3
hunter

Postby Sagebrush » Mon Oct 29, 2012 10:36 am

Washoe is close to us but I some times wounder if the longer drive East is a lot easier on you with
more open areas to get away from all the idiots at Washoe lake.
Sagebrush
hunter

Postby Mike Callian » Tue Oct 30, 2012 12:12 am

snipe hunter wrote:I have hit washoe twice and have bagged 2 limits of geese... Went to mason bagged 2 limits there it comes down to the goose call go to my website www.12gaugeposse.com and try our bounty hunter goose call....tell you what guys if you want to kill more geese this season your going to want to have this call...it will call them from across the lake.....we went to washoe with no decoys and had 10 land 20yrds from us, we are headed back out tomorrow should be on fire!..good luck guys.

And to think I used to call them in a kill them with my old traffic and an arm full of fullbodies out there... Man how things change!
Mike Callian
hunter

Postby Ryan Hill » Tue Oct 30, 2012 1:56 pm

Mike Callian wrote:
snipe hunter wrote:I have hit washoe twice and have bagged 2 limits of geese... Went to mason bagged 2 limits there it comes down to the goose call go to my website www.12gaugeposse.com and try our bounty hunter goose call....tell you what guys if you want to kill more geese this season your going to want to have this call...it will call them from across the lake.....we went to washoe with no decoys and had 10 land 20yrds from us, we are headed back out tomorrow should be on fire!..good luck guys.

And to think I used to call them in a kill them with my old traffic and an arm full of fullbodies out there... Man how things change!

The game just gets easier and easier!
Ryan Hill
hunter

Postby dieselduck » Tue Oct 30, 2012 4:40 pm

You're all suckers. I don't even use a call. Slingshot and a ghillie suit. Banded limits.
dieselduck
hunter

Postby Mike Callian » Tue Oct 30, 2012 5:08 pm

I got spit notes for days..
Mike Callian
hunter

Postby DuckManWest » Tue Oct 30, 2012 6:36 pm

Sagebrush, I agree!!
I am a little dumber for the day after going out there. :huh:
I reckon it's time to travel!
DuckManWest
DuckManWest
hunter

Postby DuckManWest » Fri Nov 02, 2012 5:16 pm

After two days of rest, I figured I would go scout the North end and take a look.
Results: Lots of people scouting the 20 yards of pocket water (N. Scripps )
I did see one Sprig lounging out on the big water!! :grooving:
About 20 wild horses hanging out by the mud hole on far North end.
This report was taken at 2:00 pm, so I did not expect much.
Good hunting to all!!
DuckManWest
DuckManWest
hunter

Postby Sagebrush » Wed Nov 07, 2012 9:12 am

Wensday the 7th;

Just got back from washoe ,not too many birds flying this morning.

I did see a rig setting up at the north end of the lake (Geese?) and left the area to him. Heard
a few shots from the south end while scouting for an area to shoot next trip out.

I hate to say this but I actually saw more ducks in the air at 6:50 at the Plums street golf course
in Reno,while driving home, than I did at the lake.................bummer.
Sagebrush
hunter

Postby DuckManWest » Wed Nov 07, 2012 9:56 am

I concur!
I had to drive into Reno after work last night. I saw more Honkers from South end to airport than I have seen at all refuges and hunting spots combined this season. Lots of ducks as well.
I guess hunting is hunting. If you sit there all day and not shoot anything, still better than being at work I guess.
Hunting Washoe lake is kind of like fishing in a pond with no fish. when I was a little kid, I would fish anywhere my Dad would sit me down at! Did not catch much, but it did not matter!
If you compare the last 15 years of Scripps hunting and bird numbers, it has slowly been declining towards the end of the 90's. The Geese used to pile into the fields surrounded by Willows on the N.E. end. It was like watching planes coming in for a landing at the airport. Very few Geese use this area anymore. Not a Wildlife Biologist, so who knows. I did talk to one a few years ago and he said availability of better areas with less disturbance, etc. etc. could cause the birds to utilize the area less. I know I have waited for years for the pattern to return. It has not. Glad I got to take part in the hunts of the past out there!
Ducks found much better areas with alot less pressure long ago. The good hunts are getting fewer and fewer out there.
And yes...I will continue to hunt this place. Just like when I was a kid, fishing just to fish.
Good luck to all hunting the coming storm! :beer:
DuckManWest
DuckManWest
hunter

Postby Mike Callian » Wed Nov 07, 2012 4:07 pm

Clearly, you guys are not using a .12ga posse call
Mike Callian
hunter

Postby Ryan Hill » Wed Nov 07, 2012 9:07 pm

Mike Callian wrote:Clearly, you guys are not using a .12ga posse call

:lol:
Ryan Hill
hunter

Postby huntfishnv » Wed Nov 07, 2012 9:32 pm

Since I started hunting waterfowl four years ago I introduced five people to hunting Washoe while they were chasing birds with me. All but one hadn't even heard that you could hunt the lake, I wonder how many people have taken a trip out to Washoe because of this thread. I know it's a popular, and was one of my favorite places to hunt near Reno, but let this thread go...
Nick Roehl wrote:Everything I say is so damn good you need to quote it for your signiture.

Un-expect the expected
huntfishnv
hunter

Postby Curtis1990 » Sun Nov 25, 2012 3:42 pm

Ive been out to washoe the past few weeks. Alot of hunters and not so many birds. within the weeks ive seen 3 decent flocks of geese flying high early early morning all heading north with no idention of landing in washoe. ducks are very scarce as well. too much pressure around washoe. i see trucks out there almost everyday. it is possible to get a couple if your lucky but he lack of water and number of people do you no good. opening day i went out there and saw some guys trying to ambush geese as well... all i have to say wow!!!! really??!!! scripps may have had its hayday back in the day but not no more. best to hunt elsewhere.
Curtis1990
Newb

Postby spoonielips » Mon Nov 26, 2012 10:41 am

I say hunt elsewhere too! SIck of the skycrapers out here. It really sucks, but we are so close to the city... I only hunt weekdays, and storms.. SO not very much! Just like any spot around here, you have to be stealthy.
spoonielips
hunter

PreviousNext

Return to Nevada Duck Hunting