LAYOUT OF MASON VALLEY??

Nevada’s wide open spaces provide great hunting opportunities. From Sprg to Snow Geese. Discuss here in the Nevada duck hunting forum.

Moderators: NV Guide, Old Duck Getter

LAYOUT OF MASON VALLEY??

Postby Plato » Tue Oct 09, 2012 3:46 pm

Hello fellow hunters! My wife and I are planning on popping some of our feathered friends out at mason but this is her fist season and I have never hunted Mason before. So I was wondering if there is a way I'm supposed to drive out there or if we need to check in with a club house first or is it like Stillwater and just wonder around? We don't have a boat so if there is a "walk -in "area or zone that we could be turned on to it would help. Thanks for any info anyone can provide.
Glen King
Plato
Newb

Re: LAYOUT OF MASON VALLEY??

Postby SIL3NT T3 » Tue Oct 09, 2012 4:01 pm

Nope just drive in and hunt just remember it is a weekend, Wednesday and holiday hunt zone. Not alot of water out there right now so spots will be limited. If ya can't scout a spot I would say with the amount of hunters there could be plop in some sort of cover and hope for the best, But you really need to scout. 4 Ponds seem to always have water Hinkerson Slough, Bass Pond, North pond the one right passed Hinkerson cannot remember name of that one. That's about all I know about it other than the fields. BTW there is a PDF Map of mason http://www.ndow.org/about/pubs/wma/wma_mason.pdf. I also have gathered GPS information on ponds boat ramps I am in the process of getting setup to sell. I hope this is helpfull all I ask in return is to hunt resonsible pack out what you carry in be courteous of others and lets make this a great weekend :thumbsup:
SIL3NT T3
hunter

Postby blackducks1982 » Tue Oct 09, 2012 4:28 pm

Cinnamin pond has a trickle of water I think. It is right past hinkson
blackducks1982
hunter

Postby SIL3NT T3 » Tue Oct 09, 2012 4:49 pm

blackducks1982 wrote:Cinnamin pond has a trickle of water I think. It is right past hinkson

When I was out there 3 weeks ago I didn't see any from the levee But never walked around it to see
SIL3NT T3
hunter

Postby Moose14 » Tue Oct 09, 2012 11:12 pm

There's hinkson slough but you need a boat like you would with north pond and bass pond. My dad said the water didn't look too promising a week and a half ago. He did mention they were going to take water from the power plant to fill some ponds up but which ones, I don't know. If there isn't much water it's going to be nightmare. I grew up in yerington and I know mason pretty well, so feel free to talk with me if you see me out there Thursday or Friday. Silverado with Cali plates 'wader up'.
Wader Up
Moose14
hunter

Postby Plato » Wed Oct 10, 2012 12:43 pm

Thankyou all for your input!! I will look for you Moose 14 in the parking lot and any additional info
you might be able to provide would be great. Again, thank you all. Have fun and be safe!!
Plato
Newb

Postby DuckManWest » Wed Oct 10, 2012 10:15 pm

Glen
Need to come out here before Saturday to scout.
not much water and will be lots of hunters. We r camping at North Pond campground. Gray dodge w/fire plates. Stop by.
Water is being pumped from ground wells and filling what they can.
Covered some miles today! Time to take the. Boots. Off!!
DuckManWest
DuckManWest
hunter

Postby MnNorseman » Thu Oct 11, 2012 12:51 am

I just moved to Reno as well and will be scouting the rest of the week and can let you know what I see.. I go to Washoe every other day but when I realized the same thing was happening everyday (less and less water) I realized I needed to branch out and check out Fallon and Yerington etc etc. Just a lot of driving for little water. I'm not here to step on toes, and I realize It's not Minnesota/ North Dakota where I'm from but I'm willing to help out in anyway I can. So I will get back to you with whatever I can see as well. I'm originally from Minnesota and have only been in the state 3 months so I'm guessing with less water and plently of hunters it's going to get and be quite competitive.

I am currently not working and my wife is a Geologist so I have a truck and decoys, a carstens pintail sneak boat and two layout blinds.. if anyone wants a tag a long or just help filling a slot I'm more than happy to be that man.
I'm an ethically and traditional duck hunter who's hunted the majority of my life on the Mississippi. I'm in a new spot and don't know anyone so I'm throwing it out there. If not No worries and I may see you out there and I'll be more than happy to share or make room.

All the best and happy hunting.

Mikey & Odin
MnNorseman
hunter

Postby NVduck » Thu Oct 11, 2012 9:37 am

Welcome to northern Nevada, I sent you a PM.
mcqueenmetalfab.com
NVduck
hunter

Postby sanjuandel » Thu Oct 11, 2012 10:16 am

welcome i live in washoe,but i work retail hours and they suck at times. i 've been in nevada 4 years aldo. i' from wa. state.have fun!
sanjuandel
hunter

Postby MnNorseman » Thu Oct 11, 2012 1:53 pm

Hey guys,

Yes Jon I read it and thank you very much! I'm excited to hunt another state that's for sure..

I'm on my way out to do some more scouting..

Thanks again,

SIncerely,

Mikey
MnNorseman
hunter

Postby Moose14 » Thu Oct 11, 2012 9:39 pm

Scouted this afternoon and it is dismal as best for hunting mason. Barely any water that doesn't require a boat. I've never seen it like this for the opener.
Wader Up
Moose14
hunter

Postby MnNorseman » Thu Oct 11, 2012 9:57 pm

Drove from Washoe to Tahoe to Truckee down the River to Reno.. .Heading to Washoe in the morning before Sunrise to watch the birds and see if I can follow them, although it may be a bit harder with Mountains in my way versus the fields, but yes.. Looks pretty dismal.

This may seem like a very silly question but.... Do people Hunt Tahoe or Can they hunt Tahoe?! I could see big spreads of Divers possibly using it for a stop?!

Thanks!

Mikey
MnNorseman
hunter

Return to Nevada Duck Hunting