new to nevada

Nevada’s wide open spaces provide great hunting opportunities. From Sprg to Snow Geese. Discuss here in the Nevada duck hunting forum.

Moderators: NV Guide, Old Duck Getter

new to nevada

Postby forest1000 » Fri Oct 12, 2012 3:21 pm

looking for yearly duck or goose blind, have not hunted this state so where to go is my goal to learn. i do not mind hunting pub;ic land just need help finding where to go. good hunting to all
forest1000
Newb

Re: new to nevada

Postby amink » Mon Oct 15, 2012 8:23 pm

If you're up north, Stillwater is probably the best all around area. Lots of opportunity there, though it takes some time to familiarize yourself with it. Greenhead/Carson Lake can be really good too but I haven't hunted there for some time and was never really familiar with it. There are spots along the Truckee River that can be productive too. That's a little harder to get in to though. Washoe Lake used to be really good but, again, I haven't hunted there for several years.
amink
hunter

Postby DuckManWest » Wed Oct 17, 2012 3:03 pm

Where are you at??
In the North, you have Mason Valley Refuge as well. Close to Yerington. Not much water now. limited hunting with water levels over opener. Pumping water now. Should be better in a few weeks.
One thing to add on Stillwater...Go get familiar with it in the daylight. Lots of remote country out there. Easy to get lost if you do not know where you are going.
And Washoe? Too little water with 7 day a week hunting = few birds
Good luck
DuckManWest
DuckManWest
hunter

Postby mallardmaven » Wed Oct 17, 2012 4:55 pm

I'm going to give washoe a try tonight. As for stillwater be careful that mud out there is harsh! Hunted there on Saturday came back Sunday cleaned the birds then went to clean the gun and it was already rusted! Steel wooled it down to metal on some parts! Dog got a couple sores too
mallardmaven
hunter

Postby fishonzac » Wed Oct 17, 2012 11:47 pm

Stillwater is a great place to hunt but the best bet is to get a map and paddle around out there or find someone to show you.
That's a bummer about your shotgun Mallard how did it end up in the mud....
I didn't see anyone mention Greenhead it's not free but also good hunting. I would wait on Washoe no water and no birds
fishonzac
hunter

Postby mallardmaven » Thu Oct 18, 2012 1:44 am

Everything ended up in the mud! First time out in my frogg togg. Waders and the tread was already worn off ! Waded about thigh high and with no tread and the stickiest of mud! Tried washoe tonight no birds flying. Heard some hunters fire 3shots but they were skybustin
mallardmaven
hunter

Postby Morning Flight » Sat Oct 20, 2012 12:27 pm

Mallard,
Go with Cabelas or Drake brand waders. Cabelas carries a lifetime warranty on their apparel and footwear and Drake has good products as well. A lot of guys also like gamehide.

And def wait it out on Washoe. Sorry about the gun.
Morning Flight
hunter

Postby mallardmaven » Sat Oct 20, 2012 11:56 pm

Thanks morning. Wish I found this sight before dropping a large fitty :no:
mallardmaven
hunter

Return to Nevada Duck Hunting